Growing into Olivia.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been an Olivia Newton-John fan since 1975 and while I've bought pretty much everything she's done, I have to say I have a new appreciation for the more laid back albums like Have You Never Been Mellow and Come On Over.

Whether it's me getting older, or hearing these albums 'crackle' free on CD that's doing it, I'm not sure. All I do know is I find the above mentioned titles quite beautiful these days, especially COO, an album I was a little disappointed with in 1976 for it's lack of upbeat material.

My favourite early Olivia album remains Music Makes My Day/Let Me Be There, an astoundingly mature album for it's time. Just jam-packed with quality songs and a stark contrast to her 1974 follow up Long Live Love, as sweetly charming as it is!

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Your choice of words is very interesting: "Growing into Olivia". It sounds like some "blue" film from the 1970s. Hmmm... ;) Arnie

3. Bobby Morrow

Some people have such dirty minds.:)

Having said that, I suppose I could have worded it better...

John-Adam likes this.
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I thought it was a thread about Dhani Harrison!

Binni, SammyJoe and Mr Hankey like this.
  5. houston

houston Forum Resident

I dig Olivia's early hits, but the albums are diabetes-promoting... I love her older stuff, 1977 on, better, when she has a touch of sass

6. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

That would be growing IN Olivia. It only took several posts to make this a Beatles thread. But back on track, ONJ has one of those pure voices. Effortless brilliance.

fiendish_thingy likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

At a company party in 1980 with Olivia (probably the Xanadu release party), she had a few too many and I (believe it or not) got to make out with her for several minutes. So did a few more of us lucky ones who stayed until the end. Didn't brush my teeth for two years after that.

8. Bobby Morrow

I always think she got her career the wrong way around a bit. In her early to mid twenties, she was very MOR working with many middle-aged acts here in the UK. Songs like Greensleeves, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother and The Long And Winding Road (as much as I love 'em) are odd choices for someone so young and, supposedly, trying to capture the youth market...

However, as she hit her 30's, she recaptured her lost youth! Albums like Totally Hot, Physical, Soul Kiss and the Xanadu soundtrack (despite a few soppy moments on all) are enormous fun. I wish she'd done more in this vein.

9. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

I think I just broke my jaw, but that will happen when it hits the floor with such force. ;)

Hey Vinyl Man and auburn278 like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Did she bring all your dreams alive for you?

Where was Matt when all this was happening, BTW?!

Vidiot and George P like this.
  11. houston

houston Forum Resident

you lucky Bastard!

oops, sorry, I forgot you are our Host :D

12. Bobby Morrow

Too true. An absolutely perfect pop voice. Lifted every song she did.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not there!

It was pretty amazing. I spoke with a fellow employee a few days ago and he immediately brought it up. "Hey, remember when Olivia got drunk and French kissed several of us?"

I told him I didn't recall such an event and he had a good belly laugh. Like it's ever been far from my mind! Olivia is a great person, great singer (and a really great kisser.) Harmless fun from the good old days of the music business.

Carry on.

Tex_Writer and auburn278 like this.
  14. houston

houston Forum Resident

I agree...I bet her record company and/or Manager threw those early cover songs her direction...typically happens with a new recording artist, not enough original material so they pad the album with a song or two people know... those were horrible choices, though, and it invites comparison to the original hits, which is a lot to live up to

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

whoops; sorry!:) I stand corrected.

tumbledweeb likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Nothing against your good self, but I can't say I'm honestly surprised Olivia was tipsy at this event. She was probably anticipating the reviews for Xanadu!

I've always felt sorry for stars in this position. Having to plug something you know is rubbish... And she had to do it again with Two Of A Kind as well!

Still, nice untypical Olivia story. She'd be mortified of course!

17. Bobby Morrow

I think you're right. Olivia was recording 2 albums a year for quite a while in the 70's. I'm sure quality control suffered. It would explain her take on Summertime Blues on Clearly Love! A complete misfire...

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

What a neat title, sounds like it could be a tribute song, sorta like "Ode to Olivia" By Stella Parton or how about The Swamp Dandies-Olivia lol.

My favorite albums have to be Physical such a brilliant album with John Farrar.
    Then would be "Don't Stop Believin" I think it's perfect.
    Soul Kiss for the incredible use of her vocal techniques (to me her voice was in top form here)....not so much for the lyrical content.
    All the yearly albums still pull at my heartstrings though.

19. Bobby Morrow

Yes, all the early albums feel like old friends.

Physical was the most perfect pure pop album she ever made. Soul Kiss is good, but came too late after Physical to carry much weight. Madonna was here by then!

Love HYNBM, DSB (the first time I really connected with Olivia) and the perfect trio, Totally Hot, Xanadu and Physical Great days.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Figures. :sigh:

I thought this thread was going to be about the legendary collective/label that was created to become the first recording entity to focus on women's music and female artists (I hesitate to use the term "lesbian", because that's
    not really what the whole thing was about, although most of the artists had that in common). It's a part of recording history we don't pay enough attention to. Even in a thread that bears its' name.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces

21. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

The second I saw this thread I thought "wow what a great song title"

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

A great song and video about ONJ

23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I'm still stunned by our host's admission about ONJ....

And I've never been more jealous of the man.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Alright, given that you have absolutely no excuse not to give at least one of her albums the AF Gold treatment!
    I nominate the OOP Greatest Hits Vol One.

25. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

My father actually wrote "I Honestly Love You" and I've heard the original version, which was a fairly simple country song for a guy to sing. It's really amazing what Peter Allen's chords and voicings plus Olivia's vocal performance did to transform it. It's remarkable what happens when the right song is done right by the right artist at the right time.

MMM, kwadguy, Tex_Writer and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.