Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

2. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Wish you could hear Hellhammer's kick drum... :pleased:

I miss Maniac and Blasphemer...

3. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

:laugh: He's a funny bugger.

stay crunchy and Dreadnought like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I bit of a change of pace with some soon to be released albums which are subdued and poetic.

I'm no Doomster but this is sheer loveliness. Plus I love owls. So removed evolutionary from other birds. What a story it must be how they arrived at those designs.
    Releases August 5, 2018 Fringe (Atmospheric Sludge/Doom Metal), by LURK (Finland)

stay crunchy, 100423 and lenny nero like this.
  5. Dreadnought

Visual poetry, I looked that this video a week ago or so and I must have been suffering from my on again off again chronic impatience because I bailed out quickly. A second look this morning and I connected. Actually I like the music more when not looking. The vocal is a little bland for me but the whole is enough to elevate it all.
    Releases July 27, 2018 Lore of the Lakes, by Inexorum

stay crunchy and lenny nero like this.
  6. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Finally back to Maelstrom Metal to stimulate your bowel with sympathetic vibration. "Clean up in aisle four!"
    Releases August 10, 2018 No bandcamp

lenny nero and REMASTERANTER like this.
  8. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

9. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Just so y'all know, you can't get quite that level of gain saturation on a 25 watt Aldi practice amp *fiddles anyway*

10. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

11. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

It would be nice for Earache Records to reissue the FDR pressing again and include a 7" EP.

lenny nero and REMASTERANTER like this.
  13. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

14. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Whaaaat!? there's an FDR of that? ....hmmmm...

The Heartwork one was welcome (and long overdue, there was a Japanese version released back at the time that wasn't just digital clipping if I recall correctly....)

nosliw likes this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yes, it was released in 2014 and there was a non-FDR US pressing that came with a 7" EP. I fell asleep on some FDR reissues as I discovered them well over a year ago.

Heartwork on LP does sound much better than the CD mastering and I do recall vaguely about the Japanese CD pressing without the digital clipping. With respect to metal, having different mastering between different countries on CD is quite rare, as far as I know. Another example is Death's Symbolic, where the Canadian CD version (which I own by the way) actually has the best dynamic range compared to the originals and reissues!

REMASTERANTER likes this.
  16. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Is this the band where the main guy went by the name "It"? He passed away recently, no?

17. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Speaking of FDR vinyl, listened to Morbid Angel's Covenant yesterday, it sounded great.

stay crunchy and REMASTERANTER like this.
  18. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Trippy!

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

The old Modern Invasion Australian Darkthrone Transylvanian Hunger CD is supposed to be a better master than any other (I'll run it through the meter thingo and post the results), weird these localized differences.

I can't get over the CDP Flick of the Switch being a bit squished...

nosliw likes this.
  19. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

lenny nero likes this.
  20. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Don't usually do a lot of "death" here, but I heard some of this album on random recently and remembered really liking it when I first got it. It gets blackened later on...

stay crunchy and lenny nero like this.
  22. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

btw, that new Hoth is out.

Astral Necromancy, by Hoth

Haven't listened to it yet but their last one, and the advance track of this one, are pretty enjoyable.

100423 and stay crunchy like this.
  23. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Oh, snap. I remember these guys were introduced to me by this thread last year or something. New album out suddenly.
    Entropy Mantra, by Anicon

24. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

That's bloody nice! :eek:

25. Dreadnought

I was listening last night. When the second song was as good as the first, the first being the advance track, I became excited! Could this be an album of the year! Well, that didn't last. Rats! Being an album from that side of town where gardens are manicured and wind chimes "ting", it was during the heady songs one and two that the praise for the (IMHO) dull new Ghost album came to my mind and how there are these other terrific bands that will receive little attention.

I heaped praise upon their previous album but I think it was in the other thread. What I loved was the concept, being truly autobiographical. The main man of the band had tapes his parents made of their interviewing him as a child and he incorporated those actual tapes into the songs. That moves me in just describing that. It seems a slightly eccentric thing to do, the taping, and who knows what terrors and traumas any child may experience within a house.
    Though I was aware it was coming I've not listened to the new album yet. I have trepidation. I don't want it to be bad.

Various dictionary definitions: Anagnorisis is a moment in a play or other work when a character makes a critical discovery. The point in the plot especially of a tragedy at which the protagonist recognizes his or her or some other character's true identity or discovers the true nature of his or her own situation. The critical moment of recognition or discovery, especially preceding peripeteia. Peripeteia definition, a sudden turn of events or an unexpected reversal.

It was 01:37 Disgust & Remorse Pt I and 06:46 Disgust & Remorse Pt II that I liked most.

At 12:00 "You've ****ed my life for far too long. Let me live my own regret." has a quite a lot of gravity to it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    100423 and lenny nero like this.