Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I wouldn't give up those East Tennessee backyard BBQs for anything. :unhunh:

[​IMG]

nosliw and lenny nero like this.
  2. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

:laugh: I wish our bbqs looked like that! They're more like this:

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. lenny nero

Been listening to this one quite a bit this week

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Haha. I'll go to either if I get a burger.

I was nailed by that one Svartelder song. The album is fine but that one song tapped into a theatrical vein which was established back in my formative years with Phantom of the Paradise and Alice Cooper. :love: Stygian Macrocosmos Pt. II, by SVARTELDER :love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at FB I saw from June 2 "Pits" is the title of the very anticipated new Svartelder album. During these very days it's in mixing stage at WSL Studio. Artwork is also being worked on now, by Khaos Diktator Design.

Expect a BIG step forward of this norwegian black metal act.

The cumulative assault of Svartelder's sound on the band's second full length album will continue to thoroughly scorch the listener. More details, rumors and samples will follow..."

[​IMG]

I'm not trying to glean much from it.

lenny nero likes this.
  5. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Giving this a listening session because I like the cover (just like the old days of going to the record store).

[​IMG]

Black Reaper - Celestial Descension
    Celestial Descension, by Black Reaper

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  6. 100423

7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Always thought it's genuine

8. Dreadnought

It was the cover of Blackwater Park, which I just wrote of, that caught my attention on that fateful day. I wished I'd mentioned that. Another thing about youthful days in a record store was how with a limited budget an album purchase was an investment. If I didn't like the album upon first listening to it, well, if it took a whole week I'd play it until I did like it damn it! :laugh:

I don't think of myself as suffering from preconceptions but that being from Fujian Province, China is mind expanding. Very surprising.

What a showcase! Almost every single one is magnificent. If I had to choose one it would be the second one.

[​IMG]

I appreciate that there's a bandcamp link for each artwork. Well done! Given how poor my fortunes have been for a few weeks when looking for new stuff I'm going to do the page. :cool:

I bundle DoF's post with the art as they both remind me of an interview with Fenriz I read last week and thought interesting, his talking about the intentional ugliness of his tattoos. I understand his point completely.

Why are you fascinated by hideous tattoos?
    For me it started with dowdy pictures and I just carried on. They fit to my concept. Moreover shabby tattoos have more soul for me and they represent that "**** off!" attitude.

Which motives do you dislike?
    ****ing many, but I would never have tribal tattoos. They are soulless and a big trend, which started here in 1994. Designer stuff doesn't mean anything to me. Tattoos must be statements about or for me and be a part of my life.

Who tattoos you?
    Mostly any Danes delivering a nicely abhorrent work. Actually I should do it myself, for then they would look really poor. But I haven't got the equipment.

TATTOOS:
    What gets under Fenriz's skin:

1. "Dilbert's Dog (a cartoon figure), who always does some buckled things while bouncing with his tail. One of my worst tattoos."

2. "That thing is called 'Guidance' and shows a labyrinth. Guidance is a label from Chicago releasing deep funky house, new dub, and chill out stuff. Not my favorite tattoo."

3. "Here you can see an emblem of the soccer club from my hometown. I loved to grow up there - and every time I look at it I remember my amazing youth: Bicycling with Anthrax's 'SPREADING THE DISEASE' in my ears. Or strolling through the woods with Kreator's 'PLEASURE TO KILL'."

4. "I go for Hanoi Rocks, I've got all the albums in my cupboard. The rose goes against the tribal wave. I wanted to see how people would access it. By the way: Paul Stanley has got one of the worst tattoos in the universe: an itsy-bitsy flower on his upper arm."

5. "The Darkthrone writing results from a small gag, because Immortal's Abbath got an enormous band logo tattoo and boasted about it. He said: 'Hey, Fenriz, you should get a similar one - true big!' Therefore, I did the opposite."

6. "On my belly you can find my best poem. When I write poetry the results should be that good that I can even wear the verses on my body. Hence only one poem has been finished yet. Sadly, it can't be translated due to the many Norwegian terms. Very crudely simplified it deals with abysmal depressions."

[​IMG]

nosliw, lenny nero, DoF and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dreadnought

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  10. 100423

11. Dreadnought

Taking album art to its conclusion this would be my way to view them. Top class Headphones available for each album. Masterpieces get their own acoustically treated rooms with refrigerator sized ATC monitors and the bench to sit on is a subwoofer with literal butt-kicker technology.

[​IMG]

This will have to wait until after I win the lottery.

[​IMG]

#6 is righteous!

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  12. Dreadnought

#16, too long winded but some nice stuff within. The beginning is good.

lenny nero likes this.
  13. lenny nero

Don't like this band, but I dig the cover. Skeletonwitch ~ Devouring Radiant Light

[​IMG]

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  14. lenny nero

Revocation have a new one coming out

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Dreadnought

Same here. The first track wasn't my thing but it was undeniably catchy and I wondered if this would be a commercial album I warmed to but no. I bailed by the third or fourth song.
    I'm going to try to get through the 11 albums of the Shining discog.

I'm going to watch this movie later. Looks intense.

lenny nero likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

That movie was both interesting and dull. The main actor has two expressions, bored and angry. Though those might be accurate for prison life. A true story, it isn't a Hollywood movie with music swelling for uplifting scenes. That's a good thing. Some "Crying Game" action in there. The fighting in ring scenes in the end were flawed by having the camera too close, probably intentionally. Looked more like a street scuffle than two skilled opponents. Rated Grr (1/2).

Shining: working backwards from X - Varg utan flock (2018), it and IX - Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends (2015) were in whole in Nick Cave territory, variety, moods, narratives with groove. 1990 - 1994 Nick was a fav artist (The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Let Love in) but not what I want now. 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd (2013) and things are better, generally darker, more aggressive.

Track 2

lenny nero likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

18. 100423

Weeeeeeeeeeeird..... I thought I posted this yesterday.......oh well....

The cover didn't let me down. While there is nothing groundbreaking here and not on the level of Zhrine, this is a solid release and worthy of my fellows Grrrrrrrrs to at least give it a sampling.
    Veiled - Black Celestial Orbs, by Iron Bonehead Productions

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  19. Dreadnought

Still stuck in the middle of the eye candy list, which is a wonderful place to be. Just throwing down one I liked. #61. It looks familiar. It might have been commented on.

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  20. lenny nero

One of my fave funeral doom bands, Un, have a new one coming out at the end of Sept! Very excited, well, as excited as one can be about a funeral doom release. Loved their first release, The Tomb of All Things.

[​IMG]

Recorded, mixed and mastered by Dave Otero at Flatline Audio (Khemmis, Primitive Man, Cattle Decapitation), and featuring the evocative artwork of Cauê Piloto, Sentiment is available on CD and LP formats September 28th.

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  21. Dreadnought

#49?
    This has really grabbed me by the ears and eyes. The EP is 17 minutes and divided into three songs but it's really a single song. This is the third song and a fine use of soulful horns (3:36 and 5:30). They could be the soundtrack for a wet street at 3am on a summer night. Probably going to buy it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  22. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

I get to poast here coz I'm listening to Cruelty And The Beast again!! :agree:

lenny nero likes this.
  23. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Indeed she does... o_O

lenny nero likes this.
  24. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

25. lenny nero

Nothing wrong with that! Still haven't heard a date for the remix/reissue of it yet.

REMASTERANTER likes this.