Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Not really familiar with them but I did spend time with Lifehunger. I was on the fence with it for almost a week, listening now and again, but in the end chose not to purchase.

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, I get it. That stuff isn't for everyone, since it's really not even black metal, but that really melodic approach scratches an itch for me.

3. Dreadnought

It wasn't that it wasn't Black Metal enough. I love when bands step outside of the lines. In the end I just ask myself if this is something I will listen to often.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Sam likes it. 4 1/2 out of 5

lenny nero likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Great black n roll band.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s cool! What a great mag. I met Adrian once randomly at a record store in B.C.

Deuce66 likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Some may find this dull. Maybe I'm just wiped enough to welcome the pace of this debut EP from Belgium. Cavernous, doomy, atmospheric, evil. It's To the Gravewarden at 24:15 that I dig (pun intended). After 28:00.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  8. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I dig it too. First impression is I don't think it's as good as Demigod/Apostasy/Satanist, but then again, not much is. I like that it's a bit less dense than Satanist, with shorter and more concise songs. Need several more listens, but right now I give it a Grrrr.

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. lenny nero

This is really good!!!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  10. lenny nero

Coming 10/12 from Dark Descent

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm not sure what to make of this. BM is not supposed to be "cute", I could see this being aired on the Disney channel.

Dreadnought likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

I think those characters began life as a four panel print cartoon like Hagar the Horrible or Beetle Bailey. They probably acquired a song just for that video. Just guessing without actually looking into it.

Glad you like it. When I first got Satanist it was on repeat for weeks and even months or a year later I could play it twice straight. I like this new one but that repeated play isn't happening. Not sure why I think of U2's Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree as a comparison. I played Unforgettable a lot back then.

:righton: Looking forward to that. I have their 2016 album.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's a legit band - album to be released in 2019 on Century Media, mixed and mastered by Dan Swano.

Hailing from the abysmal forests of the mystic North, Belzebubs has possessed a stealthy, cult status throughout their existence. Originally summoned together in 2002, the band has succeeded in creating a thrilling blend of melodic black metal, guttural growls and vivid solos, forged with progressive twists and cinematic soundscapes. Accompanied by a new drummer and a three-record-deal with Century Media, Belzebubs finally feels fit to take on the (under)world.

“Blackened Call” is the band's first single, taken from their upcoming debut album, scheduled for a February 2019 release. It was mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö, who's also responsible for the sound of Dark Funeral’s The Secrets Of The Black Arts, Dissection’s The Somberlain and many more.

“Blackened Call” will be available on all streaming and download platforms as a digital 2-track single and as a strictly limited 7inch vinyl (500 copies worldwide), available at www.cmdistro.de, www.emp.de and www.backstagerockshop.com, on June 29th, 2018.

Line-up: Hubbath - vocals, bass Obesyx - lead guitars Sløth - guitars, vocals Samaël - drums

Director - Samppa Kukkonen Script- JP Ahonen, Samppa Kukkonen Graphics and character design - JP Ahonen Animation - Samppa Kukkonen, Kalle Rantakallio, Kari Pieskä Animation assistant - Emma Rautala Compositing - Samppa Kukkonen, Kari Pieskä Sound Design - Jani Lehto Producer - Terhi Väänänen Production assistant - Vilhelmiina Saine Production company - Pyjama Films 2018

Dreadnought likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

Wow, well I certainly was seriously wrong. Hehe. So burnt I was just thinking that if anyone asks me a question I'm going to reply with "sorry, brain no work".
    :drool:

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You were right, it started as a cartoon and now they created a band to fit the strip :D - I think the first song is very catchy melodic BM, the video is very funny and self aware.

Belzebubs

Ave, Satanas! We are extremely happy to announce that we’ve now entered the studio to record our new, yet-untitled album. [​IMG] Our trademark “black metal with death metal aesthetics and progressive twists paired with a slash of grime” has never sounded this multifaceted, and we're definitely crabwalking towards new, unconquered territory. You're trvly in for a treat.

Scheduled for a spring 2019 release, the album will be mixed and mastered by the legendary Dan Swanö (Dissection, Dark Funeral, etc.), who already conjured some arcane black magic for our ”Blackened Call” single earlier this year.

Hang on for more announcements and news later! We can't wait to get these tracks out to you guys.

[​IMG]

Press Release

Belzebubs is a “trve kvlt mockumentary” focusing on the everyday challenges of family life: raising kids, running a small business, and making time for worship. Except the kids are named Lilith and Leviathan, the business is a black-metal band, and the worship… isn’t exactly aimed upstairs.

In a few short years, what started out as improvised social-media doodles has now become a wildly successful webcomic with hundreds of thousands of fans. The irresistible cartooning of JP Ahonen (Sing No Evil) combines relatable slice-of-life humor with over-the-top occult antics and references from metal music to Lovecraftian horror, making Belzebubs a devil of a good time.

See what Belzebubs' quarter-million frenzied Facebook fans have been raving about! Plus: watch for the official Belzebubs soundtrack album, coming in early 2019 from the world’s largest heavy metal record label, Century Media!

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I have finally got to listen to it several times (had a weekend thing going.. drinking and Henry Rollins)... definitely not feeling it like the Satanist. Nor is it as "powerful" as Demigod. Still... I dig it listened to 5 times at work today. Nice production, but I wish Orion was little higher in the mix. I'm leaning toward Grrrr at the moment. I just can't get The Satanist out of mind though, which hurts this one. Also, if I had to tell someone to get this or the new Anaal, I think at this moment, I would go with Anaal Nathrakh. Still a killer album though.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I think the new Behemoth starts out kinda weak, but really picks up steam in the back half. Part of that is just down to my dislike for the kiddie chorus thing they pull in the intro and "God = Dog", if you are going to use the kiddie chorus in this context, at least make 'em sound creepy and unsettling! But I'd put the stretch from "If Crucifixion was Not Enough..." through "Havohej Pantocrator" up with the best of Satanist.

lenny nero, Dreadnought and fuzzface like this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Reminds me of Dethlok. What’s next, a puppet show band?

Dreadnought likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

When I first heard the kiddie chorus I thought "you're kidding me" complete with internal eye-roll but a few listens later I kind of liked it. It reminds me of KISS' God of Thunder. That seems fitting as I remember with The Satanist, especially the end of the album, it felt like I was listening to important music.

Next week October 19 I'll buy this. 03, by Negativa
    Sheesh: "NO STANDALONE DIGITAL ALBUM.
    the digital album comes with the cassette sale only.

Pre-order Cassette $7 USD or more
    Pre-order Digital Album $1,000 USD or more
    Yes, eye-roll :rolleyes:
    Anyway,
    :)

[​IMG]

The Negativa line is this
    DB. All instruments
    D.R. Vocals (2012-present)

and the discography looks like this:
    MMXII Split 2012
    MMXIII Split 2013
    01 EP 2014
    MMXIV Split 2014
    MMXV Split 2015
    Untitled I Compilation 2016
    02 Full-length 2017
    MMXVII Split 2017
    03 Full-length 2018

This D.R. is also in another band Atrabilis where he does all instruments and vocals and its discography looks like this:
    Atrabilis EP 2010
    MMXI Split 2011
    MMXII Split 2012
    MMXII Split 2012
    Cero Compilation 2013
    MMXIII Split 2013
    Uno EP 2014
    MMXIV Split 2014
    MMXV Split 2015
    Dos Live album 2016
    MMXVII
    :laugh:

The bands are Spanish but I wish they were French.

lenny nero likes this.
  20. lenny nero

debut coming out in a couple of days, old school dm

[​IMG]

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. lenny nero

Mike, you should check out the new ish of Decibel, it's got Nergal on the cover with a long article on the new one plus an article on Horrendous.

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

Nice! :righton:

Okay I will. That makes me miss bookstores, once commonly found on many a corner.

lenny nero likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

Re Negativa, it's been a while since I looked at Sentient Ruin Laboratories' other releases. SRL, what a great tagline or whatever you call it. Motto? "Denial of the human race through analog audio forms."

Lenny (E) ;) you should like this. I do also. The band name and band sound is so familiar that I thought I must know this but it's August 2018 and I have nothing by them so I guess not.

lenny nero likes this.
  24. lenny nero

I do like it!!! :righton: It's got that slightly monotonous sound that gets me in the right head space. I can definitely nap to it! Please don't take that as a pejorative, 'i can nap to it' is one of the highest compliments that I give, as I love to put on something like the above and hit the couch for a power nap while my brain is swirling with whatever images the music conjures. Which is probably why I love funeral doom so much.

Also, how cool is the name Everlastingspew Records?! :D

Dreadnought likes this.
  25. lenny nero

Grrrr horror movie alert! A new adaptation of one of King's darkest.

Dreadnought likes this.