Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I got a fat jewel box of the the three Anaal Nathrakh albums on Candlelight earlier this week. Yes, please!

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

What a day! Just in and time to unwind. I picked up on this from one of the year end lists and like it.
    Unravel me and place me at ease, dear darkness.

lenny nero likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

Had to get something xmassy for the mighty SHE and when mentioning it to a friend sent a Bolt Thrower song of foreboding, adding that of course combat is in a vastly different league.

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Then upon returning wondering if these walls shall be my...

lenny nero likes this.
  5. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Absolutely love that album!!!! Makes me want to destroy all I see, or you know, just enjoy some Christmas lights.

Dreadnought likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

The other truth is I was going through music alphabetically looking for stuff to ditch, and although I did find stuff that was past the expiration date of my taste, I also would get hooked on killer stuff. I'm on letter 'B' and will have to hit 'C' another day.

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  7. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Well keep digging! First, I'm impressed that you actually have things sorted alphabetically...my storing method is a bit more...organic! Hahaha. Never heard of Byfrost before...reminds me of a "lite beer" version of Immortal, but it totally rocks! I will be looking for more of their stuff :righton:

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Now playing this.......

[​IMG]

I generally like weirder, atmospheric black metal so this was a good purchase for me. I've been out of the loop with more recent bm releases but I did just order the new 2CD collection by Arkhtinn which sounds like a bleaker, more expansive Darkspace. I also ordered Darkeater's Иней чёрного рассвета..... I've been meaning to get that one for a while now.

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

Compelled hear it and I like it. :righton:

jiffypopinski likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

This is an atmospheric from this year I like. The title of track one "Descending on Titan" really fires the imagination.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  11. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Dreadnought likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

I own one! :nauga:

I'd like to know the top selling Metal albums on Bandcamp. Google didn't help. Also the 'Old School Metal Guy' has been doling out his top 20 one at a time but so far I haven't liked any. They've been mostly very Hard Rock leaning strongly towards the eccentric. Theoretically that should be great but maybe my Black and Death expectations are spoiling it. Anyway, giving this a go, which I saw at angry metal guy. Arthaneum, by Redemptor

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  13. Dreadnought

When during an initial play you backtrack to play a song again. :cool:
    I guess I'm just a sucker for some old fashioned guitar pyrotechnics.

Cremation Of Care, by Redemptor

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

I like the foreword written there before the list.

"This year was a waking nightmare, for reasons too numerous and too upsetting to mention here. Not coincidentally, metal sounded really good this year. Metal has always been a genre for a world gone mad, even when its practitioners don’t deliberately address the social issues of the day. The best metal albums of this year certainly weren’t written with our current political hellscape in mind, but they’ve nonetheless been necessary when the world has become overwhelming. The list below contains pure escapism, righteous anger, violent fantasies, utter despair, cautious hope. These albums served as the perfect soundtrack for a year of unhinged chaos—and, sometimes, they even managed to make us feel a little bit better."

Arthaneum
    by Redemptor

[​IMG]

I plunked down the pauperly sum of 4 Euros for the Redemptor album and have been listening to nothing else since. What a wonderful album it is. The easiest thing to describe about it is how well recorded it is and it also has a not awful DR of 7. It's technical enough that it'll be classified as such but it's no arthritic workout and is similar to my other fav album by Beneath in being laid back. One distinguishing feature is that it has flipped one of my common complaints on its head. With 11 tracks over 44 minutes the songs are too short. That's a pithy complaint. A compliment really. That the songs are so distinguished from each other is very welcome. Seems it'll be one of those unsung albums that are on no lists. Maybe albums are like shoes in that some fit just right. Illusory Fountain, by Redemptor
    The terrific "Tremor" with maddening fade-out. Tell me that doesn't seem too short. Tremor, by Redemptor
    The lovely acoustic What Is To Come, by Redemptor

Also...
    Ho Ho Grrrrr!

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski and lenny nero like this.
  15. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I too would like to know the best selling metal on bandcamp. I wonder if they ever release sales figures. Mike, you need to change your profile pic to black metal santa!

Wifey got me a turntable for xmas, the floodgates have been opened.

100423 likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

A turntable! You've been good! :righton: Can she adopt me as a second cousin or something? Black Metal Santa yes but I'm so smitten with '70s Priest ('80s Priest not). I did see formerly "Venus Flytrap" (WKRP in Cincinnati) on a repeat of the '70s Show. Now that's a moniker I could live with. Though if I were a Red Forman it would be "Uranus Foot-trap".

lenny nero likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

Besotted by the simple charms of Besatt. I wanted to post from the 2015 EP Impia Symphonia, which is what I'm listening to, but the cover art features a maiden who is much too voluptuous for the forum. :tsk:

lenny nero likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

More simple pleasures courtesy of that youtube sidebar.

lenny nero likes this.
  19. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Listening now to the cosmic black metal of Battle Dagorath's Cursed Storm Of Ages from 2013:

I've had this for a while but now seems like the right time for it. I also remembered that I overlooked the last two albums and got those via bandcamp. Really intense band with some interesting ideas.

Dreadnought likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Musically, that's all I want in life. :)

Continued my search and destroy mission last night into the letter C, and as I've now come to expect, found terrific music from early 2017 that was lost in the shuffle and forgotten. It's the instrumental after 3:40 that slays me.

jiffypopinski and lenny nero like this.
  21. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

23. Dreadnought

I'm on it! :righton: This weekend at the latest. Nothing better than a list of the unheard though I've seen the first photo before somewhere. I fully expected to see Volaða Land by Draugsól, which I believe was my first purchase this year.

That was too brief but cool nonetheless. Is that actor the big guy from Guardians of the Galaxy? My fantasy of a full movie sequence to the hard stuff remains just that. My ultimate film fantasy is Heavy Metal III with 50% "Orcish" music but chosen very carefully for accessibility for the virgin ears. A lad can dream.

[​IMG]

lenny nero, Brenald79 and fuzzface like this.
  24. Dreadnought

Still Besatt-iating as they wear old Rock n Roll garb and Madam Voluptuousness has had a severe reduction by photo edit.
    Samobójczy rytuał, by BESATT

100423 likes this.
  25. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

If there aren't bared breasts on a Black Metal album cover I'm not buying it. :D

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.