Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Then off to Rugby, UK. Nothing gives me more hope than a band of 23 year olds. Mire, by Conjurer

[​IMG]

Conjurer: "Bands aren’t so worried about being part of a particular scene anymore" | Upset : He adds: “I think it is just a culmination of the recycled nature of music over however long it’s been. I’m 23, so I was never alive in that heyday of ‘good metal’ in the early 90s, but our generation have started to find their voice and identity within music. “It seems that bands aren’t so worried about being part of a particular scene anymore,” says guitarist Dan Nightingale, who shares vocal duties with Brady. “Around the time that I was getting into extreme metal, I was very conscious of what the popular thing was at the time. I’m not saying that I purposefully went towards that, but there was a feeling that you couldn’t help drifting towards that.”

“It wasn’t until we saw Yob and Pallbearer at The Underworld in Camden that we started jamming. It wasn’t like we weren’t taking it seriously at that point, but when we saw Yob, it was like the nail in the coffin and [we knew] we were going to be doing this, and that the band is a thing now.”

It gets pretty after a minute and a half.
    Released March 9, 2018

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  2. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Been listening to in prep for a new disc coming this year

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. lenny nero

I dig me some Ruins of B!

Dreadnought likes this.
  4. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Been on my "Old School" DM trip for a few weeks now and came across the first album by Septic Flesh. I never really paid much attention to their more recent/modern albums, but this one I like. Enough symphonic elements to be unique and create some atmosphere, but it never gets in the way of the riffage. Quite a departure from my steady diet of Floridian and Swedish DM, but still satisfying. Any fans of this album?

100423, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  5. Dreadnought

You're more patient than I am I think. :cool:
    I spent my time with Balmog albums one and two of the three. Pretty sure I'll buy.

Album two

I have it and a few others but I can't remember when last I listened. They have so many albums maybe it's a task in my mind. Thanks for the reminder. :realmad: ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    stay crunchy and lenny nero like this.
  6. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Dancing about listening to this one man band this morning...

Diggin' the Balmog too, Mike!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. stay crunchy

So much METAL...not enough time in the day!!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. stay crunchy

9. Dreadnought

I don't like the vocal styling but I like the band enough to outweigh. Somebody get that man a Halls.
    Black Floyd returns with Glummagumma.

lenny nero likes this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Day two of a Taake binge here.

11. Dreadnought

I've certainly taken a listen to Taake before but for whatever reason it didn't click. I try again and eureka. :idea:
    What was there not to get before? Whatever...time to grab a flotation device for the Tsaakunami wash out!

lenny nero likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

A few songs into Taake I had the sense that this is a one man band and upon checking saw it was true. Rebel Wizard of Australia is my favourite one man band operating today but I wish he'd get a full band and move beyond the creative limitations. To be even better. Maybe there's a good reason why they're truly solo.

Empirical proof that Black Metal is good for your mental health.
    Everyone there listens to Black Metal right? ;)
    Finland is the happiest country in the world, says UN report

Top 10 happiest countries, 2018
    (2017 ranking in brackets)
    1. Finland (5)
    2. Norway (1)
    3. Denmark (2)
    4. Iceland (3)
    5. Switzerland (4)
    6. Netherlands (6)
    7. Canada (7)
    8. New Zealand (8)
    9. Sweden (10)
    10. Australia (9)

Cereal Killer and lenny nero like this.
  13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

14. Dreadnought

I'm chillin' on the Moon and it is chilly! -183 degrees Celsius / -298 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Bugrrrrr!

lenny nero likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not sure if already mentioned, but this album from last year is a good pick if you're looking for some dynamic death metal.

Suffering Hour - In Passing Ascension

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  16. Dreadnought

I've been on a Monarque binge.

lenny nero likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

Took a really lazy stroll through the Nachtmystium albums. Really lazy as in jump in midway on a song or two of one album then onto the next. An unfair short shrift I admit but if I had heard something more than by-the-numbers BM I'd have spent more time. The most recent album from 2014 is especially weak but does break out of the cliched BM mode. This song is pedestrian but I do like the texture of the barnacle laden vocal cords.
    Sheesh, sounds like a 96 kbps stream.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  19. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Assassins and Addicts are quite good, IMO. The latter in particular I wouldn't call by-the-numbers BM, as it has a more groovy, post-rock and industrial sound.

Dreadnought likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

I'm sure you're right. I'll give them another go. I've been striking out a lot in the past few weeks and might have been a tad defeatist. Just a tad.

21. lenny nero

Mike, did you check out that Judas Priest lock horns yet? Popoff discussing Priest, good stuff.

Brenald79 and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Dreadnought

Oops....Doing so right now. :tiphat: 1:02:05 Oy!

lenny nero and Brenald79 like this.
  23. Dreadnought

I have a few Martin Popoff books and I could have made assumptions about his opinion on specific Priest albums, and I wasn't far off, but hearing him is definitive, obviously. His taste is close to mine except he articulates and reasons better, as expected. I do feel I'm less of an outlier of a Priest fan after hearing Martin as I adore the 70's albums and feel fairly cold towards what came later. There are singular exceptions with later songs of genius like "Some Heads are Gonna Roll". I sometimes intend to spend time with the 21st century albums Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus, Redeemer of Souls and every time I get pulled off course by the sheer gravity of Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Killing Machine. It was gratifying to hear Martin laud them as he did and go cold on the later. Even a week ago I was reading about Mr Peach the Japanese concert taper and the 70's Priest shows there. As for Firepower I've listened twice and read the posts in the dedicated thread here. I don't like it nearly as much as the vast majority do but I didn't expect to as the 70's Priest of creative halcyon, a short lifetime ago, are not the same as the later commercially successful Priest. Albums to differing degrees creatively compromised to meet contemporary "Metal" expectations. And now the original members are 66-70 years old. I'm glad that this, possibly their final album, is a big success and I won't say a negative word about it in that thread. That seems like a real jerk thing to do. I like that those guys like the album as much as they do.

24. Dreadnought

Out April 23. I think I like the band statement more than the song. We'll see.
    "Bastard old school death metal orcs Petrification return with their debut full-length album, unleashing a lawless legion of pummeling and brain-eating riffs designed to annihilate the listener and wreck havoc upon their flesh. Through these eleven new cuts of decaying brutality and mental abuse, the Portland death metal butchers unleash a barrage of classically gruesome and traditionally repulsive death metal chaos that worships directly at the rotting altar of legends Autopsy, Nihilist, Grave, Convulse, Funebre, Grave etc., while also setting their footmark as a visionary and ambitious entity all of their own, set on a path of total self-determination within the most liminal realms of absurd death metal de(con)struction."

Sentient Ruin Laboratories
    Oakland, California
    "Denial of the human race through analog audio forms." :cool:

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Martin's Priest history lesson was amazing.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.