Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Thanks. No worries up here. The weather is still nuts but merely inconvenient. There are no wildfires on the horizon.

Did you say Mountain Lions! Dogs may be beloved and our best friends but cats are awesome. Mid-sized wild cats like the Serval, Lynx, Ocelot are my favs. Here's a random cat fact Jack. Pronghorn (North American
    antelope) can reach speeds of 55 mph but none of the predators come close to that. The Pronghorn speed developed when they had to run from the now extinct American Cheetah. Aaaah, the good old days.
    Cats are killers! :cool:

[​IMG]

That's what I heard also. Dirt came to my mind.

This song, a jam fest, has really caught my ear. The final track of the album that's out on the 20th it can only be heard at NCS NO CLEAN SINGING » AN NCS PREMIERE: WILD HUNT — “PALINGENESIA”
    Afterdream of the Reveller, by WILD HUNT

stay crunchy and lenny nero like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Some more of that jam happy band Wild Hunt from their 2012 album. They're more difficult to find than they should be.

Plus my all-time favourite cat.

[​IMG]

3. Dreadnought

Aaaaaand the power finally goes out. Sufferin' Succotash! :laugh:

lenny nero likes this.
  4. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Thank you Sir! Order placed! Should be here later this week.

Dreadnought?!

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. Dreadnought

I put my order in also. A preorder until the 20th so should ship then.
    Yeah Dreadnought ("dread nought", i.e. "fear nothing"). I have a thing for warships 1900-1945 and Dreadnought just sounds cooler than the later commonly named Battleship. Heavy Cruiser and Destroyer are good too though. I won't go into any of it as I do veer off the path too often already. :kilroy: I can't separate music from life and history and random stuff.
    Aaaaand the power is back! :righton:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  6. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Glad to hear you are well! It's been sunny here and I could have used some sun screen today.

And yes, mountain lions. We have a lot of coyotes down here (I hear them every night) and some other critters, but mountain lions...yeah, that's a new one for me. Glad I run faster than my friend, haha!

And thanks for that tasty American Cheetah tidbit, it has been the most interesting thing I have learned all day. :righton:

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

I hit on maybe 30 bandcamp and youtube albums last night and mediocrity reigned. Scrolled (phone as remote for Jriver) through my stuff for the tried and true but not overly familiar and gave this a whirl. About two thirds the way through I asked the question "is there a bad song on this?" What a superb album.

Thanks Crunchy. :cool: "the most interesting thing I have learned all day" were the very words I thought upon reading the following:
    "When Maxwell C. Gaines, founder of Educational Comics, died in a boating accident in 1947, his college-student son William M. Gaines inherited the company. Until that point, EC had put out wholesome, low-selling family fare like Picture Stories From the Bible. Max was reportedly abusive toward Bill, and in a bit of posthumous revenge, Bill took EC in a new direction with violent, irreverent titles like Tales from the Crypt, in which abusers get their comeuppance in spectacularly gory fashion." The 100 Most Influential Pages in Comic Book History

[​IMG]

Cereal Killer, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  8. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Cult of Erinyes sounds quite good! Thanks for the recommendation, "Mike Gone Dreadnought". :D

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. lenny nero

His new name is Dreadnought Threadstarter.

fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New Deafheaven - here we go.

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Candlemass' most recent 3 albums, King of the Grey Islands, Death Magic Doom, and Psalms for the Dead, have the Solitude Aeturnus guy, Robert Lowe, on vocals. He's since left the band but it was a logical combo. (From the little I've read, Lowe is, uh, kind of an emotionally volatile dude to work with but boy does that lend itself to those vocals. My personal fave SA album is Adagio; their first two are legendary, though.)

12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

13. Dreadnought

Pretty thin and flat sounding. Clear enough but no real bass. Like an audience recording. Youtube links would sound accurate.

The new Beach Boys? Live and let live I say. "Not bad" was my first impression but that ending, nay. I'm not the target audience anyway but a pretty good gateway or even destination band for others. I like the video a lot more than going out in the woods wearing hoods again. It's refreshing. Pretty sure I've seen some backlash against them for being successful or attracting hipsters or something. I don't get that. I think they're better than others doing a similar sound and wish them success.

[​IMG]
    :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Dreadnought

I was excited to see a single from the new YOB album coming in June. After listening I was "that's it?" :confused: YOB - The Screen (Official Audio) Maybe that's just an intro to something grand. I hope so!

Also in June I will check this out. Not so hot on the music but what a video! It's only a trailer. Even if the flickering is unnecessary and irritating. Irritating!

lenny nero likes this.
  15. Dreadnought

I just might lay out the big bucks for this. All $2 When You Need Metal...Go To Hell, by Bestial Sight
    And this may be worth $1 Apathy of War, by Bestial Sight

A few years ago it occurred to me that I was well versed about events in Europe during WWII but knew nothing about the Pacific other than Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima, the beginning and the end. Curious about what happened between those two events I bought some books. It was fascinating and packed with high drama. I don't think it's commonly known that the US was a total underdog at the start, terribly inferior to the Japanese in every way, hence much of the tension and drama. It took some time to turn things around. This was a turning point and the book a real page-turner.

[​IMG]

15 Japanese ships bumping into 12 American ships at 1:30am on a moonless night. One of the participants said that the fight was like “a barroom brawl after the lights had been shot out.” From wiki: " The USS Laffey passed so close to Hiei that they missed colliding by 20 ft (6 m). Hiei was unable to depress her main or secondary batteries low enough to hit Laffey, but Laffey was able to rake the Japanese battleship with 5 in (127.0 mm) shells and machine gun fire, causing heavy damage to the superstructure and bridge, wounding Admiral Abe and killing his chief of staff."
    Then they met again the next night for another fight!

16. Dreadnought

Digging it. From 2015.

lenny nero likes this.
  17. lenny nero

Nice, didn't know they had a new one coming.

Got Messe Noire in today!

[​IMG]

18. Dreadnought

Not one of their Black Metal songs but not something I've ever seen before, a live performance for the duration of a solar eclipse. Very cool. :cool:

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

Bestial Sight beat me until I coughed up the $2. I'm not much for the Hardcore-ish or leaning to industrialized but the blistering lead guitar after 3:00 on Burned Lands was an upper-cut that convinced. Burned Lands, by Bestial Sight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero, 100423 and fuzzface like this.
  20. Dreadnought

Saw this random pic and had a chuckle. :laugh:

[​IMG]

stay crunchy likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

One of my many mobile subwoofer fantasies.

[​IMG]

100423 likes this.
  22. stay crunchy

I did not know that; thanks for sharing! I've only listened to that era of Candlemass briefly and liked it, might be time to go back for a second helping. Just getting into Solitude Aeturnus and really liking them as well. I will check out Adagio next!

23. stay crunchy

[/QUOTE]

More of this in my life, please! Reminds me of early Slayer and Satan. :edthumbs:

lenny nero likes this.
  24. stay crunchy

This band popped up on my YouTube thing earlier today. Glad I checked it out. Singer sounds really pissed off about something. Riffs are pretty killer...like a mix of old Entombed/Swedish DM/Sunlight Studio guitar tone and Black Metal. I think it gets better as the albums goes on.

100423, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  25. Dreadnought