Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Definitely more of a death metal production. Welcome back from the city sewers! :D

fuzzface likes this.
  2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

For some reason I almost always equate blackened death metal more with black metal, than death metal. LOL. Probably because I like bm more than dm.

lenny nero likes this.
  3. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Third Storm – TARiTiYA ME
    “No one will be saved or be spared”

First thing: Booklet is album cover on front, credits on back, and the inside spread is the four band members standing in the snow in front of a real flaming inverted cross about 12 ft. tall. COUNT ME IN!

First and foremost, this is just an EP. They released two demos in the 80s, went away, reformed in 2014 and this EPwas in anticipation of a full length that has not yet shown up, but is expected out later this year perhapsa And this is Black/Doom which is always kind of cool.
    So... Slow, doomy, black metal. Nice atmosphere created. Frozen dread abounds. Starts with far away warning sirens, followed by the blowing of an icy wind; someone is creaking some floor boards, then windows breaking – bring in the guitars!
    I really enjoyed the first track, but the second track was pummeling (good way). Yes, please! Good stuff. I will definitely be looking for their official debut album when it drops.

And in a brutal, classically awesome black metal move, they released an OFFICIAL video for the title song… that is just (except for the band, song title, year, and the words “music video” all in the corner) is a totally black screen. JJ

[​IMG]

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Seconded :righton:

Ha, yes the most astute rating. I did listen to part 2 and it's just too much for me. It may be a great album but just not my cup of Earl Gray. I did listen to a fair amount of 5 or 6 different bands but it was a total bust. Back to Spectral Voice and watching hockey. Wayne Newton was part of the opening in Vegas and he looks scary (smooth, tight skin and jet black hair). Happy but scary.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    100423 and lenny nero like this.
  5. Dreadnought

Dang, I spotted a swastika in the Acheron vid after I posted so I deleted it. Stinkin' nazis :thumbsdow

On with the show. I'm so enamored with Spectral Voice that I used the "Similar Artists" tab at Metallum but all the top dogs are 20 years old. That's not right. Giving this 2018 EP a go.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Seth of Behemoth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    fuzzface and lenny nero like this.
  7. Dreadnought

Live on Grrrrr.TV

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  8. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Thirded!

Haha, wifey was watching this when I got up this morning. I took a look at the yard at Windsor Castle and thought to myself, "I'd hate to mow that!"

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. lenny nero

Can't stop listening to this new Ghost song

Stormrider77 and Dreadnought like this.
  10. lenny nero

Finnish abm!

[​IMG]

100423, Dreadnought and fuzzface like this.
  11. Dreadnought

I was instructed to take pics and send with messenger as Madame She-devil is out of the country. (Like looking at youtube later isn't good? :evil: ). Anyway, I saw the priest and knew I had a higher purpose! :cool:
    With the zoomed-in TV camera, watching a young man's face as the bride approaches is not something I've seen before. So intimate and honest.
    :righton: Ghost is I guess the best Rock band out there.

Nice! And a captivating image.

After a dozen failures of Gr or Grr quality I've gone back to reliable Iceland for some finely crafted mayhem. After a few minutes of pure madness it does settle down.

Go Tampa Bay Lightning!!!! :thumbsup:

lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Mike, do you like Ghost?

13. Dreadnought

Yes @Brenald79 I do like them and saw them about two years ago. I had hoped that they were going to become harder as I thought they could pull it off, be harder and not lose the melodic touch they have. Now it seems they went the other way. Oh well. :)
    It was this 2014 video that sealed it for me. I love those guitarists. You want them to rip it up yet their restraint is the beauty. If they went full blown Rock band then they'd probably lose their musical identity and be just as dull as other emulators of past glories. Papa or whatever his changing name is is quite the card here.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  14. Dreadnought

At 4:00 is another example of that maddeningly restrained guitar, including duration. It's so good...but so short! Arrrgh :doh:

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks Mike. I’ve been in the fence getting their albums. Maybe I'll get the older one with Ritual.

Dreadnought likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

this might be the most pop song posted in this thread :D :wave:

Stormrider77 and Doggiedogma like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The lure of filthy lucre, it's hard to resist, I'm not questioning Tobias Forge's integrity he can follow any musical path he chooses but be careful when you claim that this album is "from the heart" as opposed to what? all the others weren't?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

It's cool. Someone can post The Carpenters if they want, if it's honestly relevant to their day. That drop of dew won't poison the well. I do like the idea of a vague "what's on your mind" thread for those who do like Black - Death Metal. I have no interest in a heavy hand by anyone.

"From the heart?" That specific album over others? I wasn't aware I implied those things. Maybe I unintentionally did but I don't feel that way. :)
    They're writing good songs, nothing more, and are a commercial enterprise like all the other bands.

I bought the Misþyrming album. I don't know what is in the water in Iceland or what is in my pipes but we have a connection. I like when from out of the mad turmoil some coherent thing emerges for a time, before receding back into the conflagration. In the album stream the first occurrence of that is at 2:23.

lenny nero likes this.
  20. lenny nero

Indeed. It kinda reminds of this band:

Stormrider77 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. lenny nero

I recently read an article on, I think, bandcamp, about all the bm coming out of iceland.

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Dreadnought

Oh come on! You put an implant in my brain? I love those guys. You're right, like Ghost they aren't exactly retro but maybe nostalgic? As I said earlier I don't like Doom but I love that Spectral Voice album and I was reminded of that the other day when I couldn't find a new movie of interest to watch and chose "For a Few More Dollars", thinking how I hate westerns but I love the Dollars Trilogy. Some things just transcend the others. Well, 99.9% of westerns.

lenny nero likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

Look out, heavy hands will swing the Hammers of Vulcan! :unhunh:

lenny nero likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I was referring to Tobias' motivations not yours, unless you are him? :laugh:

Dreadnought likes this.
  25. Dreadnought

:doh: :laugh:

Deuce66 likes this.