Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I object to your remarks!

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's really amazing, when you consider what a risky, out of left field, roll of the dice this movie was, when they were planning it.

Sure, 20/20 hindsight makes it look like a natural hit. But, if it had flopped, all the momentum Marvel has built might have dissipated. It was a big gamble.

As it is, with their success rate, they are looking like another Pixar.

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

This movie was lots of fun. Saw it at the drive-in. Good time!

4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

You can even tell that they were insulating themselves against a potential disappointment by having it connect so little to the other movies. It never mentions any of the Avengers, Asgard, SHIELD, or Hydra, and it just has a single scene with Thanos. The credits scenes do not connect in any obvious way either. Had it not performed as well as expected, it would have been easy to ignore it in the continuity (kind of like they did with the Letterier Hulk movie).

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He reportedly dubbed the character in several languages, so maybe four hours with a break or two. ;)

6. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I think the reviewer's tongue was firmly in their cheek. I read it as him trying to be subtly funny by commenting on small quibbling points. For me, I could completely believe Starlord's mother would use all the songs. I would use them.

Solaris and Vidiot like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it again for the second time... This movie is just a lot of fun to watch....

Well done Marvel!!!!

8. davenav

Don't know if true, or not - but, I read that Iron Man was supposed to make an appearance, but Robert Downey, jr. had not signed on with a new contract, as the old one had run its course.

9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Caught up with it today and it was a blast! I was skeptical about a talking action-hero raccoon, but my wife wanted to see it so I went. Where they really succeeded was that the movie's pace never let up, there was always some danger/explosion etc. No long expositions with philosophy and heavy meanings or attempts at that. It's just grab a bucket of popcorn and enjoy the ride, and I certainly did. Very witty also, and with some references that only adults would get.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Vidiot

No, no, no. The Disney & Marvel guys are nutty about this stuff. I bet Vin Diesel was in there for at least a week, a solid 40 hours. They work and work and work and work. Diesel reportedly looped all this stuff in foreign languages, learning it phonetically, so that would also take lots of time.

Mr. PhillyQ gets it. This was exactly my reaction. It's a fun rollercoaster ride that's not stupid. I'm very grateful when a mass-market action film can do this... as opposed to Transformers or Turtles.

carrick doone likes this.
  11. davenav

I'm amazed to see people leaving during the credit crawl. Isn't it universally known by now that there is more coming?

Even Sony's Spider-Man 2 had a bonus scene (courtesy of Fox, oddly enough, and which may constitute a first - one studio advertising a film in another studios' picture!)

Anyway, I always try to get folks to understand that they shouldn't leave.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I almost always stay, but didn't this time because I had read it wasn't anything that teased upcoming Marvel joints. After I got back home and read what the scene was, I am fine with missing it since it doesn't do anything for me. I'll catch it on the video release.

Awesome movie, though!

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was slightly surprised that the "X-Men" clip wasn't on the "ASM 2" Blu-ray. I guess the deal only covered theatrical showings of "ASM 2"...

14. davenav

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Anyway, I loved the clip in Guardians. And for once, a lot of folks stayed - they hooted and hollered loudly, too.

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Coming soon to a toy store near you...

[​IMG]

xdawg, PHILLYQ and PH416156 like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Awesome I want this for my office at work.

17. Vidiot

Who knew that Baby Groot would be the breakout toy star of the movie? I thought for sure it'd be the raccoon!

[​IMG]

Will Baby Groot be rockin' out to "I Want You Back"? That's what I really want to know.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  18. marke

marke Forum Resident

I saw this last week. I hated the trailer and vowed not to watch this but good reviews started coming in and I changed my mind. I loved it and give it 9 out of 10.

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. Vidiot

And Guardians just passed $500 million worldwide as of this week...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-guardians-galaxy-728448

Trust me, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Fiege is Mister King Cheese at the moment. He was brilliant (and very lucky) that this movie unexpectedly did so well. I'm very happy that Guardians also became the #1 film of this summer, beating the skug-ugly awful Transformers:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-guardians-galaxy-727213

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Just wait for the Squirrel Girl movie.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I finally saw it this weekend, and even though I had some issues with it, I enjoyed it.

I still think "Edge of Tomorrow" was the best summer flick.

22. Vidiot

Edge of Tomorrow was surprisingly good, and I believe it made more money than any recent Tom Cruise movie except for the Mission:Impossible films, going back to War of the Worlds (his biggest hit).

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just saw this first time with my two kids and loved it. We got to the theater for the first showing (on Labor Day) and the 2-D was sold out 1/2 hour before the start time. We ended up seeing the 3-D version and that too looked to be almost sold out. Love that this movie keeps rolling...

24. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

Saw it this weekend. Great, great movie.

It feels like the start of something very special (ala Star Wars 4-6).

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Zoe must be box office gold with Avatar and now this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.