Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heh, Howard the Duck was the first thing I thought of when I saw this. But at least the effects team won't be as limited by the state of the art as they were 30 years ago. That somewhat creepy quasi-animatronic duck was no small part of Howard's problems.

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm sure it will be considered a cult classic in 20 years no matter how badly its received when its released.

3. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

How many people knew who Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans were? To be honest I still don't know who they are I had to look up their names. They have never really gone for the big names in the starring roles of these films. From the tiny bits I've seen Chris Pratt seems perfect in the role and that's what they have always gone for with these films the right star to play the hero, not the right name.

The thing that surprised me is they went and got the hot redhead from Doctor Who then they shaved her hair off and covered her in makeup. That I find strange.

4. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

He may not be a known quantity outside the U.S., but I think he has the possibility to be a bigger star and become a draw outside the country. He was able to save a character on "Parks and Recreation" from the original conception as a lazy loser taking advantage of people and make him lovable. Pratt's also shown a great ability to improvise comedically, based on the stuff he made up that remained in the finished episodes. Then there's his track record in serious films like "Moneyball," "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Her." Not in lead roles, but supporting roles that show variety of performance. I think over the next five years, he could be huge, I see a lot of charisma there.

jdrueke and xdawg like this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I dunno, I think that's just kind of his schtick and he's been typecast into those roles a little bit.

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Anyways, as much as I love Chris Pratt, I'm not really feeling this one, based off the first trailer. Just looks like an extended videogame cutscene, in my opinion. I predict it will barely break even.

7. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I, for one, cannot wait to see this movie! I think Chris Pratt could be huge after this. I love that Marvel picked James Gunn to write and direct this. I really don't think this is going to be Howard the Duck all over again. I am hoping that this will be the surprise hit of the summer.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Chris's voiceover performance as the lead of The LEGO Movie was a big part of its charm.

jdrueke likes this.
  9. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I would love to see them tackle the Marvel Knights series Paul Jenkins wrote awhile back.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I guess I'm old school in this case - I was expecting what is apparently the original Guardians of the Galaxy (70's era) when I heard a movie was being made. I wasn't even aware there was a newer set of characters called by the same name, including a raccoon. I was expecting the Star-Hawk dude and company. Have some of those old GG comics in a box somewhere, need to dig them out and let my son check 'em out.

images.jpg index.jpg

xdawg likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What that late 70s Spider-Man ?

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I knew there was a new series, but I have never read any of it. Looks as if it will be fun, and I'm not sure if the original series would have played as well these days.

Aggie87 likes this.
  13. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Same here. I'm not hip on the newer version either. I stopped my comic book subscriptions cold turkey in 2001 (or so).

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Spiderman was a TV show in the late 1970s, and there was technically a 1977 made-for-TV film, but it wasn't a theatrical feature film until 2002.

It's fair to say that Howard the Duck was an acquired taste. I think the comics were brilliant, but there are some things that are very hard to translate to a movie. Many, many critics cited the film's bad taste, because the human girl (Lea Thompson) actually sleeps with Howard at some point, and I think interspecies sex was a little beyond what most people could handle in 1986. Not that easy today, now that I think about it.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Looks fun, I'll see it.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

What this film has to do with Howard The Duck is beyond me. After all the great strides made with CGI characters recently I don't think there's anything to worry about. Plus I think it will be hilarious to hear Bradley Cooper's voice come from a pissed off cybernetic critter.

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

He was in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle!

18. progrocker71

Dude, just lay off. You're not nearly as f***in' funny as you think you are.

Standoffish likes this.
  19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

:cry:

20. alexpop

Spiderman" I seen it in the theatre in 77' was unaware it was a TV show.

21. Vidiot

Well, that's another cult comic book that never had huge mass-market success to the point where the comic book character was a household name. It's not a mainstream hero like Spiderman, Iron Man, Superman, or the others. This is a much less-visible comic book that will be a lot harder to market as a movie.

I would put The Watchmen in that same category: a very highly-regarded cult comic where aficionados knew all about it, but the general public was very unaware of who the characters were, and the result was a fairly disastrous movie that was tough to market. (Cost $130M, made $188M, which is far from where they needed to be to break even.) It's a good question as to whether they had stuck with the original plot of the comic it would've done any better.

22. alexpop

Slight digress. What about Goldkey's Turok Son Of Stone or Magnus Robot Fighter will they ever get a big screen adaptation ?

23. Vidiot

God, I hope not.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

It was a few years since I read the comics. :)

25. progrocker71

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.