Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I concede that -- a lot of people dislike MacFarlane as an on-screen guy. I think he's funny, but he has a tendency to try to be cooler than he is. (And there's a lot going on with his hair.)

Guardians of the Galaxy could either wind up as the "Howard the Duck" of 2014 (disaster) or the "Ted" of 2014 (enormous hit). I'm undecided, but I won't hesitate to see it myself, because I sometimes enjoy quirky movies like this. I still dig the raccoon.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's all about the raccoon. I really enjoyed the Rocket Raccoon mini series, back in 198x. Done by Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    noahjld likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think he's funny. So I'm staying away.

marblesmike likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

6. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

Go Rocket!

noahjld likes this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Sequel has already been announced at Comic Con, James Gunn will be returning to direct.

8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw these guys on Jimmy Kimmel, Chris Pratt was very funny, I think he got Guillermo drunk.
    I'm gonna go see it, I hope it's good, I like the premise.:)

9. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

One reviewer I follow on YouTube loved it ( A rating) but said it's almost a full on comedy movie. Only complaint was the villian. Looking forward to this.

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

They've already announced a sequel, before this one is even released. It'll probably be a hit, so that's fine, but strikes me as a little cocky on the studio's part. I feel like it's a sign of the comic book movie bubble being close to reaching critical mass and bursting.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'll be watching it this weekend...

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

My wife wants to see this more than I do. I'm pretty sure she has a crush on Chris Pratt.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't know if this could be classified as a "comic book movie". It's more of a science-fiction outer-space adventure thing that happens to be based on a comic book.

I can see people getting sick of costumed heroes, though.

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Mine, too. :p Although I also think he's pretty great in Parks and Rec, and I'm looking forward to it as well. We'll be seeing it Friday, I hope.

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Call me a naysayer, but all of the CGI comic book fests seem to get good reviews. It's like the critics are willing people into the seats.

It's like, are these movies actually better than classics that might only have 90% or 80% on Rotten Tomatoes?

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

NAYSAYER!

j/k ;)

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Probably because this is a comic book generation and if these critics are anything like my soon-to-be-60 father, it's like their childhood's entertainment come to life on the big screen looking better than ever.

I didn't even read comics and I haven't missed one of these films yet!

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I have the Avengers 3d bluray and still haven't made it through the film. It's starting to all look like the same thing to me and I'm only 28.

I guess I'm an old soul.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Who wouldn't have a crush on the leader of MouseRat?

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The trailer looks amazing much better than the Expendables 3.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Critics were not exactly falling all over themselves to give thumbs up reviews to Green Lantern, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, or Man of Steel.

Dan C, mikeyt, jriems and 1 other person like this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Day before release: 28 Top Critic reviews on Rottentomatoes.com; 24 fresh, 4 rotten.

Overall, 90 reviews; 80 fresh, 10 rotten.

Bodes pretty well for an enjoyable flick. My wife and I are both really looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!

23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Saw it tonight. A real blast. One of the most enjoyable films I've seen at the theater is a long while. Just a great popcorn movie.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to it, I'll see it later today or tomorrow. So far at RT it has a 91% rating for critics and 95% for movie goers, it's one of the highest combined ratings so far this year.

25. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

This is the most I have felt completely entertained at a first run movie in years. All the combined elements of fun. Decent 3D. Took my 8 year old grandson. We laughed and howled. The soundtrack and how they used it is beyond excellent. Groot is my new hero. :righton:

Mark Nelson and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.