Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think that were at the point where bad comic book movies will do poorly--there was a time where so-so comic book movies recently did fairly well even if they didn't warrant it. I will admit I think there is comic book fatigue for some folks setting in. As much as I love these movies, I'd like to see more straight ahead dramas out there to balance them out.

I just think that this is an Indication that Marvel is bullish on this property. It's not like they OK'd another sequel to The Incredible Hulk.

Marvel has found its Star Wars.

mikeyt and jriems like this.
  2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

+1 & .. in a nutshell.

carrick doone likes this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

This is the first movie since Edge of Tomorrow that has inspired me to go to the theater to see it. I usually go to a lot of movies in the summer but this year has been basically a dead zone since early June, at least as far as movies being released I'm actually interested in.

I was a fan of Gunn's low budget horror comedy Slither, I'm happy to see him get a chance at a big blockbuster like this.

4. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Great movie ,I usually have about 50 eyerolls thruout most movies like this but don't think I did it once.

5. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I really dig Slither too, but $16 million isn't really low budget for a horror film (the Gunn-penned Tromeo & Juliet was made for about 2% of that!). Compared to Guardians, though, yeah, I agree -- it's awesome to see another one of the good guys making a big blockbuster summer movie. I'm eager to see it.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Just got back, and LOVED it. I haven't laughed so many times during a movie in a long, long time - intentional laughter, I mean.

Really fun ride, and right up there with the best of the Marvel movies so far, IMHO.

Larry Mc and Deuce66 like this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Saw the standard 2D version this afternoon ;);););) 1/2 / 5. Lots of fun/laughs, a different spin on a genre that's getting a little tired. BTW Groot rules :cool:.

[​IMG]

Olompali likes this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I didn't like trailer and was pretty convinced this was going to be a total stinker, but the advance reviews softened me up. Glad I kept an open mind, as both my wife and I thought it was tremendous fun.

The sequel does need villains who are as fun as the main cast. But Ronan looked cool (and surprisingly close to his comic counterpart) and I suppose he served his purpose well enough to help launch the franchise.

My only other criticism is that John C Reilly and Glenn Close were basically wasted on roles that didn't need high profile actors. They don't hurt the film, but you have to think they could have been better utilized. Maybe there are deleted scenes that justify their presence?

Oh, no spoiler here but if other Marvel films haven't gotten you into the habit already, don't neglect to sit thru the credits. This one is, um, unexpected....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Any concerns about the box office potential of this film seem a tad silly now. $37.8 million on Friday, they are estimating $92 million for the weekend.

The Marvel streak continues...

I'm looking forward to it, though with my work schedule I won't get a chance to go until Monday.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I saw it yesterday. I'm usually a harsh critic but I had a good time in the movies. 2 hours of summer movie fun.

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Probably the most fun I've had with a Marvel film since THE AVENGERS. Good 3D, too. Definitely one to see
    on as big a screen as possible.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Saw it last night. My son (age 11) enjoyed it. I felt it lacked a bit a maturity, but the special effects, costumes and props are first rate. Fantastic overall look. Storywise, I wasn't bored, but I wasn't swept away, either. Star Wars minus the mythology. I guess I still need real emotion in my movies, and there was really a scant amount of that, although Groot manages to sprout some tenderness. Chris Pratt calls his character "Hans Solo meets Marty McFly" I guess that's about right: cocky meets goofy. But I would have preferred Hans Solo meets .... someone over the age of 13. I didn't take away that feeling: "Chris Pratt is a great new sci-fi hero." More like, "well, he was pretty much his same silly character from 'Parks and Recreation." Nice abs, though. Are they digitally creating these gut muscles or what?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Pete Puma and mikeyt like this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

looks like a nice summer blockbuster...too bad in Italy it premiers on 10/22/2014..:realmad:

14. Laughed a lot. Liked it but didn't love it. Thought lots of the makeup and effects were cheesy but hey it worked for star trek and Star Wars

The music bits were great and the funniest bit was the finger across throat.

It was better than Howard the Duck

A solid B. Some the timing seemed off in the first third

Vin Diesel deserves an academy award

Solaris likes this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think the timing gets better the fourth time you see it. That's what I noticed with Howard Duck.

Mazzy likes this.
  16. Well there is a joke about that very same character Mr Cha.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

As I said in my earlier post, I liked it. But having thought about it for a day I think it would've been nice to get a little more exposition on the the villain Ronin. As a person who isn't familiar with the Marvel comic universe, I would like to understand the motivation of the Evil-doer's a little better.

I know I think too much,

18. Totally agree. I like Pace but Ronin seemed like he was acting in a different movie. I guess that's the point but I too don't know the comix and he was no Darth Vader.

I also usually like Rooker but his acting was campy here as probably directed but I don't think he's good at that. His makeup was left over from a Blue Man Group Afterparty.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

But is the science accurate? That's all I care about.

Paul Saldana, Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
  20. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Big Marvel comics fan here since the 80s, but Guardians of the Galaxy was never more than a footnote. Barely knew who they were, so the only thing I had to go on was the movie trailer and Marvel Studios' track record. Movie was a huge chunk of fun. Laughed out loud in the first minute after the prologue. Tone of the movie actually reminded me of Justice League from the 80s where they took a bunch of misfit heroes (plus Batman) and just had fun with them.

21. $95 million. Wow.

22. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

As a Disney stockholder: Yay!

Mazzy likes this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just came back from seeing it tonight.

Really enjoyed it. Loved the music also...

What's the deal with Quill's dad?? Is he a superhero??

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Search your feelings...

Maggie likes this.
  25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Took my 8 year old yesterday with lots of reservations from myself.
    Was very glad I went, very enjoyable and yes funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.