Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 Blu-Ray 3D (Where is it?)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dean1006, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't believe any manufacturers have announced renewed support, but I'd not be surprised to see it "readded" to TVs from LG. They got the brunt of the criticism for dropping it - it costs next to nothing to add, so maybe they'll bring it back.

When do they announce the 2018 model line? Or have they done so already?

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They biggest market for 3D is in Asia.
    What 3D TV brand is popular in China, that could be good indication!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It doesn't really. If they are region free they will play, simple as that.

4. alexpop

I am always dubious about it myself.
    Maybe wait and read amazon com reviews ( not the paid ones),

5. alexpop

I've got a multi region Shrek 1-4 3D
    Europe /Asia /Australia ( no USA ).
    3D stunning ( don't know if it's converted ala Predator). Sans extras though.

6. alexpop

I've sorta stopped buying 3D Blu Rays.
    Thor:Ragnarok ( cinema ) was ok maybe I'm blase. I gotta really want films in that format unless their dirt cheap.
    Still it's ironic there's more 3D BD titles available than 4K discs. Buyers prerogative I guess.

7. alexpop

Any Oled 75" TVs,
    or is the largest screen 65"?

8. Oatsdad

3D BDs have been around a lot longer than 4K UHDs. 4K will eventually pass 3D - there's just a lot more content that can be made available 4K simply because there aren't all that many 3D movies...

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have all 4 Shreks in 3D, US releases.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Time they made another one.

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Thank you! You can lead a horse to water....

Jim B. and kevywevy like this.
  12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Is this experience or speculation on your part.
    If it is an all regions disc it will play on USA players. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the disc. Return and get a different one. Your Blu ray player is a computer. It is programmed to play all regions. It's simple really.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I picked up the 3D GOTG on release date from Best Buy. It is worth seeking out for a very good 3D conversion. It also was the only home video format that mimicked the variable aspect ratio presentation of the IMAX 3D showings. I have increasingly had to order 3D titles from Amazon UK when they are not offered in the USA. This was recently the case for Cars 3 and for Despicable Me 3. Universal and Disney are typically region free. Not sure about other studios.

14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

The only way I can tell is if the description says 'region free' - then that means I can buy it with confidence and that it should work on my blu-ray player. If I don't see that info int he description, I won't buy it. Simple really.

15. Oatsdad

That's the main reason it's a shame Disney/Marvel made it difficult to find "GotG V2" 3D in US stores. The 3D is the one that optimizes the film as intended by the director, but it's very tough to find.

Not sure why they don't use variable ratio for the 2D versions as well - the "Ghostbusters" (2016) 4K did that, and I can't think of any reason the Marvels couldn't do the same...

16. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

But it's not tough to find.
    It's on ebay and amazon. You're already on the net posting on this forum. How hard is it to buy it from amazon or ebay? Do you actually have to see it on a shelf to legitimize it for you?

17. Oatsdad

No - I get your point.

But do you not understand how the fact you can't get 3D Blu-rays in US stores harms the format?

And that not everyone wants to have to buy imports online? They'd like to be able to get it at an actual store.

And it muddies the waters. Lots of people will be leery of non-US Blu-rays - you can argue they shouldn't feel that way, but they do...

18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

If they unconfortable- that's their ignorance showing in not learning about the format.
    But yeah, I hear ya - I love the 3d format. I wish it wouldn't go away here in the USA.

19. Oatsdad

Blame the differing standards for video in US and elsewhere. We've had to deal with that for so long - PAL vs. NTSC or Region Coding, etc. - that's it not irrational for people to be skeptical of non-US Blu-rays.

I don't view it as "ignorant", really - I think it's logical because US and UK/European video standards have been different forever,

CDs had it right: if I bought a CD made anywhere in the world, I knew it'd play on my US player.

Laserdiscs, DVDs, BDs - not the same. I had to worry if they would work!

And I still do - it's not like every BD is region free or whatever.

So I fully understand reticence to buy non-US video products - it's been beaten into us!

At this point it's chicken/egg - did the format fade because TVs stopped supporting it or did TVs stop supporting it because the format faded?

I think it's mostly the latter - if 3D thrived on TVs, the manufacturers wouldn't have dropped it - but their decision to lose 3D support in new TVs caused an acceleration of the format's decline.

No one who doesn't already have a 3D TV will invest because they don't think they'll be able to play them in the future.

Those of us who do have 3D TVs worry less, but even we fear that our 3D BDs will be coasters before too long - when our 3D TVs crap out, we won't be able to replace them... :sigh:

20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't know how it works but all i know is if it says 'region free'/'all regions' and the disc is made in the UK - my bottom of the barrel OPPO blu-ray player plays it. My dad's $100 LG blu-ray 3D player plays them too. The machine converts it somehow.

21. Oatsdad

No, I get that - I'm not arguing the Blu-rays won't play.

My point remains that I can fully understand why US Americans are leery of non-US video releases - we've been trained to be that way!

And my other point remains that consumers shouldn't have to deal with non-US releases and the ensuing potential confusion just to watch a movie on 3D BD - especially not when it's a mega-hit like "GotG V2"!

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Simplifying it limits you, though. Despicable Me 3 was not clearly labeled as region free, but doing a little research revealed that 90%+ of Universal BDs and almost all recent ones have been region free, so I bought with confidence. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.