Guess Who reissues in 2009/2010 on Iconoclassic* (With January 2018 Repress)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

All my DD shipments have indeed been flimsily packed, but I rarely have had a cracked case, go figure. If I did, they'd replace it free and say keep the cracked one. I've never had a problem with their customer service myself. As for shipping speed, I'm in no hurry - plenty to watch and listen to here now to occupy my time until it arrives. Saving $ is the #1 issue for me, maybe for a few others here as well. :agree:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I didn't criticize DD, I said those corrugated thingies were secure. As far as shipping speed, those of us that already have Prime, have paid in advance for the faster shipping. That has to be factored in as well, when looking for the best price.

It varies from person, to person is what I'm pointing out. I'm personally not going to save anything, if I wait a week, to receive a demolished set. The 2 disc jewel case, with that center piece with a hub on either side is damn fragile, I'd prefer to pick this up in person, but that option no longer exists.
    :tiphat:

jsayers likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Note for the anal collectors amongst us: Since Vic is in charge here, the versions of The Answer and Palmyra will not be the mixes used on The Way They Were (aka Jack's mixes). His mixes are longer, and on the Answer he takes out Burton's vocal at the end, leaving only Randy's soloing. Palmyra finds him also highlighting Bachman and ratcheting down the 'Indian' instruments significantly.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Is that speculation based on what is on Anthology and the Buddha Share The Land, or information from elsewhere?

Also, it's not clear that Anesini remixed those tracks, or if they were alternate existing mixes. I don't see that he had any involvement with the Buddha Share The Land.

5. Further

Further Forum Resident

Wow, that would be disappointing if the mixes are different. I love them just the way they are. (were)

Myke likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The site says he's in charge. Those two tracks are on the Anthology he did, I think it's a safe assumption he'll stick with what he did the first time around. Are you saying that the mixes on the original vinyl and the French Cd of Way They Were are not the original mixes?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Palmyra isn’t on Anthology. And Anesini wasn’t in charge on Anthology nor the Iconoclassic discs. He’s the mastering engineer.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

so he didn't make any decision to change the end of the Answer? He had no decision making authority although he was the mastering engineer?
    That means that someone further up the food chain made the decisions I suppose. Either way, they were changed and someone did it, that's the bottom line.
    And yes, Palmyra was not on anthology, it was on one of the others as a bonus track. Let's not get off topic

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We're not going off topic. Anesini had nothing to do with the Buddha Share The Land, which is where Palmyra was released.

Anthology was produced by Al Quaglieri, not Vic Anesini.

@IconoclassicRecs or @peteham may be able to shed some light both on what mixes were used for The Way They Were on the new American Woman reissue as well as the previous digital releases.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

regardless, I'm hopeful he will chime in as well. I thought you said Anesini mastered the Anthology, why are you bringing Quaglieri into this? Do you think he supervised these changes?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Let's back up to your original post:

The suggestion being that since Anesini was in charge on Anthology, and he's in charge here, the mixes will be the same. However, there are several flaws in that premise:

- Anesini was not involved in the Buddha release of Share The Land, which I believe used the mixes you are referencing.
    - Anesini was not "in charge" for Anthology, he was the mastering engineer. Al Quaglieri was producer.
    - Palmyra was not even included on Anthology.
    - Anesini has not been "in charge" of the Iconoclassic reissues, Frank Ursoleo has.

The mixes may or may not be the same, I don't know. The point is that Vic Aneini's involvement is almost certainly immaterial regardless.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

we'll see what the result is in the end, won't we?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, we will.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The 15% coupon at Deep Discount has been activated. The code is

GOBBLE

15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I'm sure hoping that's not the case with what versions/mixes they use. I think we all prefer the original versions as they were issued on the RCA LP.
    I'm with lukpac in not understanding the logic on why Vic would use these other mixes...goes against everything Iconoclassic has done with previous Guess Who re-issues.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Further and lukpac like this.
  16. Myke

Seeing how he's in the thread, yeah...

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't understand your comment regarding The Answer (disregarding Palmyra because it's not on The Anthology). I've ripped both tracks and pulled them up in Cool Edit Pro and they're the same length. I also hear no discernible differences in the versions on both the Buddha Share The Land disc and disc 1 of the Anthology. Bear in mind, neither the Buddah disc or Anthology make any mention of any remixing.

Taking into account your comment regarding Burton's vocal at the end, the last time I hear a Burton vocal is as 3;25 as Randy takes his solo. This is for both versions. I also sat down and played each track, making notes at which points there is a panning or anything potential difference. I hear nothing different about either. Please give me more than one example about the difference, because quite frankly, they're identical to my ears.

18. pool_of_tears

Don't put the cart before the horse and get worried. :) I respectfully believe @The Panda is incorrect about the mixes being different. They sound exactly, and I mean EXACTLY the same. The instruments and where they're positioned in the mix match up on both the Buddha disc and the Anthology. Granted, I could be wrong, too...and maybe an alternate/unused/incorrect mix was used on one or the other of those discs, but I highly doubt it.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Have you compared the vinyl lp or the French cd of Way They Were?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Answer on those two discs matches, but it doesn't match what's on the original release of The Way They Were.

That said, there's no evidence Vic Anesini remixed it.

21. pool_of_tears

Ahh, ok. I see where you're both coming from. I've not compared the original vinyl or french cd. Now I'm really curious!

22. Myke

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

24. Myke

Yeah, it does trail off after that. I saw that after making my post. I'll almost feel guilty selling off that French digipack. Almost.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Always wondered about how this RCA album ended up in the exclusive hands of a French reissue label. "Magic Records" appears to be a valid business concern, with an inconsistent catalog commensurate to a foreign label with no specific ties to any large corporate media comglomerate, hopefully addressing the needs of their home country.

Empty page

(No, it's not really an, "empty page".)