Guidance on first TT purchase: AT-LP 120 USB and its friends

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stay crunchy, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all, I am new to the forum and this will be my first post. This seems like a great community with a lot of passionate people eager to share their knowledge and opinions. Anyway, like many others here, I’m new to vinyl and have a deep appreciation for music and sound quality. I want to purchase a turntable that sounds great, but is relatively easy to operate and maintain. Right now, I’m looking at the Audio Technica LP120 USB with an upgraded Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge and mat from LP Gear for around $370. I’ve also looked at the usual entry-level tables from Pro-Ject, Rega, and Music Hall. I would like to stay around $400-450 and have something that is easy to operate (can’t stress that part enough). Can anyone point me in the right direction for my first table? I’ve seen a few other threads about this, so I hope I’m not rehashing old news. I guess my bottom line would be: is the AT-LP120 with the upgrades from LP Gear a better option (in regards to build quality, sound quality, ease of use, price, etc.) than the others mentioned?

My current system includes a Rotel RSX 1055 receiver, a Panasonic DMP BDP 500 BluRay/CD player, a pair of Focal Chorus 714V speakers, and a HSU STF-2 sub. I love it. It sounds crisp, clear, and punchy. To my untrained ears it does not sound overly warm, nor sterile; it seems balanced and neutral. I listen to Metal and occasional Classical music. Would the AT-LP120 I mentioned be a good match for my setup and musical tastes?

Also, I have no experience with LP Gear and would like to know if it is reputable. Since they don’t post customer reviews about their products, it’s kind of hard to tell. The few reviews I’ve seen about them online seemed to be mixed.

Thanks!

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  2. Hey, Crunchy!

I have just purchased an AT LP120 via eBay (I won't receive it for at least a week from now). The recent RUSH vinyl campaign perked my interest back into LPs (and I have about 800-900 pieces).

From what I have gathered, the AT LP120 is at least a decent starter TT ( and it has the capability to digitize LPs {via added software} ), right out of the box. And that's what I am getting it for ... needledrops.

I am not an audiophile (I don't possess the finances to be one), but I DO love great sound. As far as CD/DVD/SACD, DVD-A, etc., My Oppo 103 does fine for my tastes.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You are an audiophile if you love great sound.

Randu, Greg Carrier, quadjoe and 2 others like this.
  4. Thanks for the affirmation. I hope Stay Crunchy wasn't discouraged from the lack of responses.

5. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Honestly I would go with a Rega or Project. Yes, it's more money, but it's a great table that'll last decades, not a piece of plasticky stuff that you'll want to upgrade within a year.

richbdd01 and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've seen/heard the AT 120 'table. It's not a piece of plasticky stuff, it's a decent dependable turntable, a bargain at its asking price.

chumlie, JamesD1957, Agent57 and 4 others like this.
  7. stay crunchy

Thank you, Funky, for your insightful response. (And yeah, I was about to give out hope waiting for a reply, but I figured a little patience would be well served.) It does seem like a good machine to start with and enjoy the music I love. From what I've gathered about the Nagoaka MP-110, I think it should work for Metal and serve me well. I've seen that more than a few members here have insisted on removing the built-in preamp of the ATLP120 to get the most out of it. I guess that may be a project for "future" me...once the warranty runs out.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Denon DP-300F U$ 329

[​IMG]

jeffsab, russk and telemike like this.
  9. stay crunchy

[​IMG]

Thanks for including this option; I've been looking at it, too. Could you tell me why you would consider it over the ATLP120?

[/QUOTE]

10. stay crunchy

Thanks Tyler. It seems I've read both good and bad about the ATLP120 and the entry-level Regas and Projects, which makes my decision a bit challenging. Could you possibly tell me what sonic differences I would hear between the AT and the others? I'm quite new to TT's so I don't really know how to objectively measure which one is better for me.

11. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

12. The Pinhead

[/QUOTE]

You asked for ease of operation. This TT is IMO better than the AT and fully automatic.

stay crunchy likes this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

At $450 you should also consider seeking out a used Technics SL-1200/1210. I paid £200 for mine ($300) in excellent condition and I love it.

stay crunchy likes this.
  14. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Bluzuner, DigMyGroove and Thrakintosh like this.
  15. Now I'm going to get into deeper stuff. - For those that can be bothered --If you can't be, then ignore this ---

What is / are the advantage(s) of a straight arm vs. a curved type arm? Also, what about linear tracking vs. standard set-ups? Particularly addressing the issue of IGD (Inner Groove Distortion). As well as the deal with automatic vs. manual.

All of this has probably been discussed to death - this is a new thread, though {the Gorts will deem it dead if necessary}.

stay crunchy likes this.
  16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I don't have as much experience as some of the other members here but, from what I've read:
    • Linear trackers are harder to repair and have less cartridge options
    • IGD: You'll need a properly set up micro-line stylus to truly remove IGD. Look at the AT440MLa
    • I prefer manual, too many moving parts in automatic that could go wrong.
    • As it's your first turntable, a direct drive one might be easier than belt drive.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    Second this. Way better table than the AT. Holds its speed reasonably well and for a bit over 400 you can get it with an Ortofon 2m Red from Needle Doctor. That will walk all over the AT with a cheap cartridge

telemike likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You can find many threads on here that talk about these tables and the wide ranging opinions. It really comes down to personal preferences which you don't know what yours will be at this point.

If you stick at the $400 price point I really don't think the differences are all that drastic. My preference is for a belt drive table with an Ortofon Cartridge.

My advice would be to find a local retailor if you can, listen to what they have and decide based on that. They will set it up for you and if you run into any problems it is nice to be able to take it back or get some help. When you get to the point of needing or wanting a new cartridge, it is nice to have a relationship with a local store to help with that setup as well.

I would avoid a table with USB or internal phono stage. They cut corners on build quality to add those features and keep it at an entry level price (same thing with a fully automatic). You don't need a USB to listen to vinyl and virtually every other phono stage is better than the internal on an entry level table.

Also be aware you are getting into the most expensive playback option there is short of hiring a band to come play in your living room. There are no shortcuts and if you go too cheap you will not realize the sound improvement vinyl can offer. Whether it is, records, turntable, phono stage, cartridge or cables, $500 goes really quick several times over.

19. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

20. The Pinhead

stay crunchy likes this.
  21. stay crunchy

I've thought about that, too, but haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price.

22. stay crunchy

Thanks again, Funky, you've been very helpful. I've read up a bit on these topics and they're pretty deep for a newbie like me. I kinda sorta understand the jist of them, but I guess I won't fully understand and appreciate these nuances until I actually get the table. I'm sure I'm have many more questions soon enough...

23. stay crunchy

Second this. Way better table than the AT. Holds its speed reasonably well and for a bit over 400 you can get it with an Ortofon 2m Red from Needle Doctor. That will walk all over the AT with a cheap cartridge[/QUOTE]

Thanks Russk. The ATLP120 I'm looking at from LP Gear comes with a Nagaoka MP-110 set up and installed. Would this be comparable to the Denon with the Ortofon you're suggesting?

24. stay crunchy

Thanks for your insightful reply, Dennis. You seem to be echoing some of my thoughts exactly. I do like the option of the USB, though I don't know how much I would actually use it. As for the internal phono stage, I would prefer to get my own...it just happens that the one I'm looking at, the ATLP120, comes with it already. And as for your last point, I wholeheartedly agree. I want to get into vinyl BECAUSE of the sound improvement it offers, and I don't want to cheap out and miss the boat completely. I just want something reasonable and reliable that I don't have to fuss over and fiddle with obsessively in order to be happy.

25. stay crunchy

Thanks Waxfreak. I'm looking at an ATLP120 with an installed Nagaoka MP-110 from LP Gear. Would that come closer to matching the performance of the Denon? The automatic function of the Denon is neat, but not a deal breaker for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.