[Guide] "My Generation" by The Who: all tracks and where to find them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funkydude, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident Thread Starter

All in all there are 92 (!!) different mixes/versions/edits of 24 different songs which are scattered over several releases and formats over the years.

The point of this thread is to find the easiest/cheapest/most effective way to get your hands on all of the 92 different tracks (if you want them) in the highest quality possible while trying to avoid as many duplicates as possible. Not including vinyl releases.

song list (alphabetical, UK-album tracks in bold):
    1. (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
    2. A Legal Matter
    3. Anytime You Want Me
    4. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
    5. Bald Headed Woman
    6. Circles
    7. Daddy Rolling Stone
    8. The Good's Gone
    9. I Can't Explain
    10. I Don't Mind
    11. I'm A Man
    12. Instant Party Mixture
    13. It's Not True
    14. The Kids Are Alright
    15. La-La-La Lies
    16. Leaving Here
    17. Lubie (Come Back Home)
    18. Motoring
    19. Much Too Much
    20. My Generation
    21. Out In The Streets
    22. The Ox
    23. Please, Please, Please
    24. Shout And Shimmy
    Most of the original UK-album tracks exist in at least 3 different mixes: Mono, 2002 Stereo and 2014 Stereo. As you probably know, the album was originally released in mono only, so the 2 stereo mixes are new creations from 2002 and 2014.

The 2002 Stereo mixes were made by the album's original producer Shel Talmy. Unfortunately, not all multitracks for all songs exist. So some of the songs lack certain overdubs, most noticeably the guitar solo on "My Generation" and a lot of double-tracked vocals. A deal breaker for some.

The 2014 Stereo mixes tried to "fill the gaps" by recording new overdubs, supposedly by Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey themselves. Again, a deal breaker for some.

All Mono mixes are original and of course are fully "intact". However, there is a new, previously unreleased Mono mix of "Instant Party Mixture" of unknown origin (as of now).

Easiest part first, if you want to the highest available quality versions, you will have to buy the his-res downloads of My Generation (mono and stereo), Who's Missing and Two's Missing. The tracks from the latter two albums you'll need are "Leaving Here" [Original Stereo] and Lubie (Come Back Home) [Original Stereo] from Who's Missing and "I'm A Man" (Edit) [Original Stereo], "Daddy Rolling Stone" [Original Stereo], "(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" [Original Stereo] and "Motoring" [Original Stereo] from Two's Missing, which you can buy individually as well of course. Either way, you will have 60 of the overall 92 tracks in the highest available quality version. The other 32 tracks (which are mostly the 2002 Stereo mixes) don't exist in a hi-res format.

Now it gets trickier. If you've already bought the hi-res versions, there are two ways you could get the other tracks now:

Approach 1)
    Try to find the Japanese SMH 2-CD set (UICY-94802). There are several Japanese CDs, SHM-CDs or SA-CDs, but this one is the most complete and best sounding one (or so I've read here). Not only does it have the majority of the 2002 Shel Talmy stereo mixes, it is also the ONLY release to feature "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (Alternate Version, No Backing-Vocals) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]. There's also "Circles (Alternate Mix) [Mono]" on it which is also on some other Japanese CDs, but again, this is supposedly the best sounding one. All in all you'd be getting 26 tracks you don't already have. At this point you would be at 86 out of 92 tracks. What you're still missing after that would be:

- "I Don't Mind" (Original Album Edit) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "The Good's Gone" (Original Album Edit) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "My Generation" (Instrumental, Original Album Take) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "Anytime You Want Me" (A Capella Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP Version) [Mono]
    - "The Kids Are Alright" (US Edit) [Mono]

The first 4 Shel Talmy Stereo mixes are only on My Generation (Deluxe Edition) in various formats. You can also buy these 4 tracks on websites like Qobuz that sell CD-quality versions. So there's no need to buy the CD with this approach, unless you find it used for a price below what the 4 individual tracks would cost or maybe you already own it.

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP Version) [Mono] is only available on iTunes. So that's easy. It is the same recording as the "Alternate Version" [Stereo] version. The original mono master tape is supposedly lost so this is most likely a needledrop of the original French vinyl EP. That's probably why it was not included in the hi-res downloads.

"The Kids Are Alright" (US Edit) [Mono] was released on various CDs throughout the years, most recently on Then And Now and of course on The Who sings My Generation. Websites like Qobuz sell CD-quality versions of the edit (on Then And Now or Meaty, Beaty Big And Bouncy).

It's not cheap. Mot this way you will have all 92 tracks in the highest available quality with exactly 23 duplicates. And those 23 are not even in the same format (Hi-Res and SHM-CD).

Approach 2)
    Buy the Deluxe Edition CD instead of the Japanese SMH 2-CD set. This one is still easy to find and not expensive. That way you can add 28 to the 60 Hi-Res tracks (if you bought them). So this way there would still be 4 missing. Two less than with approach 1. You'd be missing:

- "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP Version) [Mono]
    - "The Kids Are Alright" (US Edit) [Mono]

which can both be obtained the same way as with approach 1)
    and

- "Circles" (Alternate Mix) [Mono]
    - "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (Alternate Version, No Backing-Vocals) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]

which are more or less only released on the Japanese SHM 2-CD set (UICY-94802). So, with approach 2 you either will be missing 2 tracks (and not the most interesting to begin with) or you're forced to obtain the 2 missing tracks through... other ways. Either way, approach 2 is much easier to get and probably a lot cheaper than approach 1. The SHM 2-CD is out if print and goes for quite a bit on eBay. Number of duplicates for Approach 2: Two. But only because 2002 My Generation (Deluxe Edition) also has "My Generation" and "A Legal Matter" in mono as bonus. But again, those 2 wouldn't be in the same format (Hi-Res and CD)

Bonus Approach
    Buy everything ;-)

If you want the 2014 Stereo mixes, you can either buy the Hi-Res download (24 Bit/96 kHz), available on various Hi-Res retailers, the CD-quality download (16 Bit/44.1 kHz), available at Qobuz and maybe other retailers (I don't know) or the iTunes version. No physical release exists as of now and supposedly isn't planned anytime soon.
    And of course you don't have to buy the hi-res mono version and Japanese SHM 2-CD. Approach 2 works without buying the CD and Approach 1 would work with only buying the CD and not the hi-res download. Both ways you would be missing 1 or 2 songs. If you only buy the CD you can individually buy the one missing song ("Instant Party Mixture" [Mono]) as a hi-res download as well.

Who's Missing and Two's Missing were also released together in one set in Japan on SHM-CD (UICY-94786/7).

My Generation was also released in mono recently on CD in Europe as well but without any bonus tracks. So it's not helpful for this.

I hope this helps. This took a lot of time and I hope this is complete and correct and you appreciate it.
    Please let me know if I made any mistakes or if I missed something. I don't think I can edit my own posts after some time, but I would still like to know.

Here a list of all 92 tracks (alphabetical):

(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave [2014 Stereo]
    (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave [Mono]
    (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave [Original Stereo]
    A Legal Matter [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    A Legal Matter [2014 Stereo]
    A Legal Matter [Mono]
    Anytime You Want Me (A Capella Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Anytime You Want Me [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Anytime You Want Me [2014 Stereo]
    Anytime You Want Me [Mono]
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Alternate Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Alternate Version, No Backing-Vocals) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (French EP Version) [Mono]
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere [Mono]
    Bald Headed Woman [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Bald Headed Woman [2014 Stereo]
    Bald Headed Woman [Mono]
    Circles (Alternate Mix) [Mono]
    Circles [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Circles [2014 Stereo]
    Circles [Mono]
    Daddy Rolling Stone [Mono]
    Daddy Rolling Stone [Original Stereo]
    Daddy Rolling Stone (Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    Daddy Rolling Stone [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Daddy Rolling Stone [2014 Stereo]
    The Good's Gone (Full Length Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    The Good's Gone (Full Length Version) [2014 Stereo]
    The Good's Gone [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    The Good's Gone [2014 Stereo]
    The Good's Gone [Mono]
    I Can't Explain [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    I Can't Explain [2014 Stereo]
    I Can't Explain [Mono]
    I Don't Mind (Full Length Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    I Don't Mind (Full Length Version) [2014 Stereo]
    I Don't Mind [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    I Don't Mind [2014 Stereo]
    I Don't Mind [Mono]
    I'm A Man (Edit) [Original Stereo]
    I'm A Man [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    I'm A Man [2014 Stereo]
    I'm A Man [Mono]
    Instant Party Mixture [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Instant Party Mixture [2014 Stereo]
    Instant Party Mixture [Mono]
    It's Not True [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    It's Not True [2014 Stereo]
    It's Not True [Mono]
    The Kids Are Alright (Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    The Kids Are Alright (US Edit) [Mono]
    The Kids Are Alright [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    The Kids Are Alright [2014 Stereo]
    The Kids Are Alright [Mono]
    La-La-La Lies [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    La-La-La Lies [2014 Stereo]
    La-La-La Lies [Mono]
    Leaving Here (Alternate Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Leaving Here (Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    Leaving Here [Mono]
    Leaving Here [Original Stereo]
    Lubie (Come Back Home) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Lubie (Come Back Home) [2014 Stereo]
    Lubie (Come Back Home) [Mono]
    Lubie (Come Back Home) [Original Stereo]
    Motoring [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Motoring [2014 Stereo]
    Motoring [Mono]
    Motoring [Original Stereo]
    Much Too Much [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Much Too Much [2014 Stereo]
    Much Too Much [Mono]
    My Generation (Instrumental, Original Album Take) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    My Generation (Instrumental, Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    My Generation [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    My Generation [2014 Stereo]
    My Generation [Mono]
    Out in the Streets (Alternate Version) [2014 Stereo]
    Out in the Streets [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Out in the Streets [2014 Stereo]
    Out in the Streets [Mono]
    The Ox [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    The Ox [2014 Stereo]
    The Ox [Mono]
    Please, Please, Please [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Please, Please, Please [2014 Stereo]
    Please, Please, Please [Mono]
    Shout And Shimmy [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    Shout And Shimmy [2014 Stereo]
    Shout And Shimmy [Mono]

Con, Rochdale3, Man at C&A and 43 others like this.
  2. funkydude

I'm thinking about doing this for A Quick One next. When my headache is gone :laugh:.

dee, marmalade166, Jimmy B. and 17 others like this.
  3. Thanks for the nice summary of the My Generation and related track availability. I personally have no need for hi-res versions of any of these songs -I can't imagine I could hear any improvement over what is available on standard cds.

funkydude likes this.
  4. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

There really should be some sort of a Forum merit badge for people like funkydude sharing this degree of exhaustive research with everyone. Mind-boggling! (i can only imagine the headache!)

A hearty heap of thanks to funkydude!

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Wow. Thanks for this comprehensive summary. Very timely as I just finished needledropping Who's Missing, Two's Missing, and the Classic Records My Generation reissue. A few more needledrops to do, not to mention various cds I've got. Lots of material to collate. This is a big help!

funkydude likes this.
  6. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Wow have I got my work cut out for me :)

funkydude likes this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Over the years it's taken good ears, attention to detail, knowledge, patience lol, and more, by a number of Who experts who are also invaluable forum members here to sort the mess out. It's evident in the thread the above list is indeed helpful and being appreciated.

In so far as a Listening Guide approach, fwiw, I would also include what I could of the High Numbers songs/mixes/edits on each bonus disc of cover songs that would accompany each representation of the MG album. I suppose I would include all BBC tracks (cover songs and songs from the album) from near that time too, and perhaps the officially released live HN at the Railway tracks from the AJ dvd, perhaps within the set or on an additional disc. Then there's some of Pete's demos from the Scoops too. Lots of ways to enjoy organizing the material to get different perspectives listening to it.

What I do enjoy is there is a minimum of 2 full length albums of different songs with multiple mixes. It all makes for far more fun listening, imo, than 'just' the UK/US MG debut mono mix album, as good as that is.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Did Townshend and Daltrey really go back and stick overdubs on this stuff to make new Stereo mixes? Wow if true, I had no idea. Did this happen recently?

d.s.l. likes this.
  9. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Let me know if you need any help - it is a minefield. Especially if you start factoring in associated singles from the respective albums - Substitute, I'm A Boy and Happy Jack.

Re: My Generation, to cover the entire 1965 Shel Talmy output, you might include Leaving Here and Baby Don't You Do It best found on the 2011 Odds and Sods SHM CD. These are sourced from an acetate and dated March 1965.

dee likes this.
  10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

As someone who is looking to build a complete collection of the Who, including the (major) different mixes and edits, guides like this for all of the albums would be an incredible resource.

dee, funkydude, pscreed and 1 other person like this.
  11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Really incredible OP. Thank you!

funkydude likes this.
  12. funkydude

ahhhh, good one. I forgot about those. They're both in mono, right? It's interesting to know that they were sourced from an acetate because they are also missing from the Hi-Res download version. Just like the needledrop of "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP).

Unfortunately I can't edit my original post now to add those two tracks. But I believe anyone who is this serious about collecting The Who tracks, has Odds & Sods in some form already anyway. If not, you CAN also buy the 2 tracks individually on Qobuz in CD quality.

13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to do this Funkydude. I've been reading about the new variations in the HD/iTunes downloads and my brain feels like Pete and Keith at the end of the Smothers Brothers performance. Though it is really pee-ing me off that they keep releasing fractionally new bits and bobs alongside the same old stuff i know i'm gonna have to pick them up because for me, The Who up to Lifehouse/Who's Next are well worth being OCD about.
    (Having said that i refuse to buy another Tommy or Live At Leeds - hey my OCD is cured. Cool. Anyway must go and wash my hands. I might have an internet virus on them )

Gardo and funkydude like this.
  14. RobCooper

Both mono, yes. It's only a minor one and most people have O&S anyway but worth mentioning as it then covers pretty much all of the band's 1965 studio output!

dee and funkydude like this.
  15. funkydude

I agree. They should be added to the list. Both unique recordings produced by Talmy and are more or less part of the My Genertion circle.
    They're still oddities though since they were never released on any version of My Generation, unlike all the other tracks I've listed. I did also list the mixes from Who's Missing/Two's Missing but those were alternate mixes of the same recordings. The ones from Odds & Sods are entirely different recordings.

RobCooper likes this.
  16. RobCooper

As I've said, things could get messy with A Quick One, especially when factoring in the singles. For example, the two mono mixes of the Happy Jack single, but then you could factor in the fragment of studio chat on the 30 Years box, multiple mixes the acoustic cello version....

17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Great thread. I actually worked up a similar list myself back in 2002 as I was trying to collect everything. A couple things I would add to the discussion:

1. has it been confirmed that Shel Talmy actually produced the "Odds & Sods" versions of "Leaving Here" and "Baby Don't You Do It"? The songs don't sound like anything else Shel produced with The Who.

2. regarding "Leaving Here" and "Daddy Rolling Stone", has it been confirmed that the mixes on the "30 Years" boxed set are the same as the mixes on "Who's Missing" and "Two's Missing"? Also, there was a rumor that a French EP from 1965 had a different mix of "Daddy Rolling Stone". Is that confirmed?

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. bcliff33

bcliff33 Forum Resident

Great summary, but what about the SACD of the 2002 stereo mixes? It's hi-res and contains "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (Alternate Version, No Backing-Vocals) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo].

19. funkydude

That's true. I originally thought the "no backing-vocals" version was only on the SHM 2-CD but you are right. It is also on the SA-CD.
    Buying the SA-CD would also give you the 4 Talmy mixes that are missing from the SHM CD. But you still would be missing "Circles (Alternate Mix) [Mono]" and the correct 2002 Talmy Stereo mix of AAA (Alternate version).

Man, this is so complicated. :confused:

20. funkydude

maybe @lukpac can help with that.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure about the acetate.

Not only are the mixes of those 2 songs on 30 Years the same mixes, but (without checking at the moment) I'm nearly certain they were merely lifted off of those CDs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It looks like the recordings of "Leaving Here" and "Baby, Don't You Do It" on the 98 remaster of Odds and Sods were recorded at some point in March 1965. [In Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, (page 53) the entry for 16 March 1965 mentions "around this time"]

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What is this nonsense about new overdubs? I know there were elements missing from the masters but come on! Are you serious? I hated it when Springsteen & The Stones did it, and now The Who are painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa!
    :realmad:

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Serious.

25. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

what about the fake stereo mixes of
    I Can't Explain, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere and My Generation
    on MG-the very best of the who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.