Guitar Expertise Question Re Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every time I hear the Budokan version of I Want You To Want Me, I am knocked out by the figure Nielsen plays from 3:21-3:25.

To me it is the pinnacle of the song, the apogee.

My question is, from a guitar standpoint, is it difficult to play? It sounds very fast and accomplished, not just the notes but how it fits into the song's near-crescendo. But what do people who know guitar say? Comments?

2. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Descending triplets within the scale, no big whoop. Just learn your basic rock box-shapes and you can play any CT riff

Malina likes this.
  3. Gersh

Thats' very interesting, I need to know more about guitar-playing. To me it sounded hard! By I think you'd agree the timing is very good.

4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Nielsen is a monster plank-spanker. He was good enough to be drafted into The Nazz when Todd Rundgren split.

Fullbug likes this.
  5. It's not that easy! Rick's guitar part is a master class in alternating between lead and Rhythm Guitar. I've never heard anyone play it exactly like RN.

GoodKitty, Gersh, Lightworker and 3 others like this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The whole song is not easy if you play it exactly like he does. The way he intertwines rhythm and lead guitar is pretty amazing. I've never tried that particular lick, but it's a great one.

Gersh likes this.
  7. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Sounds like it's all descending on one string, yes? I too have always loved that fill but I've never actually tried to play it.

Agreed about Nielsen's playing....Sloppy but tasty!

8. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

It's fast but not difficult. I never really practiced scales just to build speed, but I think I could play that line pretty quickly if I put my mind to it. It does sound really neat in context though. I think playing something catchy in context is the apex of being a good guitar player, but that's just IMO

sbeaupre and Gersh like this.
  9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

There’s nothing difficult about those particular passages from Rick Nielsen, but this particular solo from Holdsworth on the U.K. song In the Dead of Night is much more difficult:

Solo starts around 3:09 -

Malina likes this.
  10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Only a matter of time till someone post a clip of some technical player/shredder, saying Nielsen isn't really a great guitarist. I've always loved his sloppyish-style...he's the perfect player for CT music.

11. Mirror Image

I never said that Nielsen wasn’t a great guitarist. I merely said that particular musical passage isn’t difficult play and simply gave an example of guitar playing that actually is difficult to play.

MoonPool likes this.
  12. Arkay_East

Eh. It's all perspective anyway. I've had some real shredders tell me I'm amazing because I can play syncopated fingerstyle, which seems second nature to me. To some people it seems impossible to alternate the thumb on your right hand like that. Lots of different lanes. The real virtuosos can do it all but that's a long study. The guitar is a wildly versatile instrument.

Gersh, MoonPool and Fullbug like this.
  13. Mirror Image

I’m not into guitarist who shred just for the hell of it as this has never been impressive to me, but I felt that providing an example of what I feel is ‘tasteful virtuosity’ from Holdsworth in this U.K. piece was entirely appropriate.

14. Arkay_East

Oh I'm not saying it wasn't. I was not responding to you. Just a general comment.

Mirror Image likes this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It's not difficult. Nielsen has used it several times, here he plays it twice - at 1:21 and again and 2:04.

The lick contains several open strings which makes it a lot easier. I'm sure he's not the first to use it, but I can't think of older examples off the top of my head. Part of the key to using it well is putting it in the right places - which he is great at. That's pretty much the best part of his lead playing. He does play sloppy - sometimes excessively so - live, which can be frustrating. A lot of that is because he's busy doing his showman thing: running all over the stage, jumping, raising his arms and pointing, etc. etc. The rest of the band settles in to do the "heavy lifting" and let him be the "front man."

Malina and Fullbug like this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

There isn't anything sloppy on the studio records, he's clearly concentrating on playing well and cleanly executing what he wants. The same lick on the studio recording is right in time - at 1:57:

17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Rick Nielsen is not a great guitarist. There, I said it. He wrote lots of good songs and that is why the band is still around.

Tim S likes this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Doesn't hurt to have Robin Zander singing your songs! :D

19. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I saw him on the Hall of Fame show - last year I think? He is still at the top of his game and I think he smokes cigarettes, that's pretty amazing.

GoodKitty, Gersh and Tim S like this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Nothing against Rick Nielsen, but it's not particularly difficult. And you can even hear he's a little sloppy at doing it in the middle of it (but "clean" is not really part of his style).

Arkay_East likes this.
  21. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

For anyone interested, I found this complete tab of the Budokan version (pdf file), so you can see how to play that triplet fill:

https://www.guitar.ch/tablature/CheapTrick/IWantYouToWantMe.pdf

I think it's slightly different from the "California Man" run that's linked above --- similar rhythm but the California one uses more open strings.

22. Gersh

I wonder if Rick Nielsen would find it hard, interesting...

23. Gersh

To me it sounds better on the live recording I posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.