Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It's also possible that the files were mastered digitally, these files were used for the LP and then they were further compressed/boosted for the CD and HD Downloads. As crazy as this sounds, it happens (see David Bowie's - Live Nassau 1976 CD vs the LP - the LP is SEVEN points higher on average DR wise and they are supposedly the same mastering).

Dorian75 and Metalrob like this.
  2. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Where in the song does this happen?

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

If you don't have access to the vinyl cutting file, the "SEVEN points higher" DR score doesn't tell us anything.

Why you can't measure vinyl with the TT Meter - Production Advice

obi likes this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It get that and I'm certainly no engineer, but anecdotally, when I've seen comparisons between vinyl rips and CDs of the same title/mastering, the DR scores provided are usually not more than 3 points difference. Even throwing out the DR score, my original statement still stands; there are times where digital files are mastered, used for LP cutting, then further compressed/boosted for presentation across digital media.

I don't wish to derail this thread any further but for the morbidly curious, the Bowie LP vs CD Nassau '76 waveforms are here:

David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Metalrob and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. chrisoc

chrisoc Forum Resident

Didn’t do it today after putting the disc back in the machine so thankfully a false alarm. Thanks for caring to respond.

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I totally understand what you’re saying and there are cases when we’re told this (no peak limiting in Sgt Peppers, although this is usually an undetectable 0.5-1.5dB) by those involved, but what we’re told here is the vinyl was cut from the 24/192 master and we have access to that master.

If you download the vinyl rips of the 2017 pretty awful “definitive” NIN releases you’ll see some 5+DR differences and the waveforms also look nice, but the main man himself has stated the 24-bit downloads are the vinyl cutting masters.

I’ve also confirmed that Dave Matthews Band’s 2012 release was cut from the CD master by the guy who cut the lacquers (RJ @ Sterling) and it measures DR5 higher lookin at the vinyl rip.

If you play the Bowie CD to analogue out and capture it back via analogue like a vinyl rip with 2dB headroom...how does it look? I’m not saying this method is definitive either, but I highly doubt it gives the same DR score.

The folks over there have stated they think adding a vinyl toggle is a good idea due to the DR meter only being accurate to a digital source, but they frustratingly haven’t implemented one yet. The DR database is a nightmare of useless vinyl entries.

I believe this conversation is worth having as long as the myth exists that many vinyl releases are mastered less aggressively as it misleads people.

Maffune, violetvinyl, obi and 3 others like this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It depends on what type of mastering is being dealt with. If the digital source is not shaved down and is left with good peaks, you should see much less difference between the digital source and vinyl mastered from this digital source. There were no peaks to recreate so they should be pretty close in DR/waveform appearance. When the digital source has been shaved down (as with this GnR release), then the digital to analog conversion recreated peaks for the vinyl release. Now there is going to be a noticeable difference vs the unaltered digital.

But yes, there are vinyl which are cut from a different digital mastering (less limiting, compression, etc) vs the digital releases. It's just pretty much impossible to declare this by comparing the digital and vinyl releases.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Maffune, obi, Metalrob and 1 other person like this.
  8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

9. artfromtex

10. artfromtex

11. obi

obi Forum Resident

Exactly!
    The only way to know for sure is to ask the band/label/engineer.
    Trying to conclude something by looking at DR readings of vinyl rips is a waste of time IMO.

rnranimal likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just got 2 CD set in snail mail. Awesome packaging love the digipak holder and the booklet. I got a guns n roses patch as well.
    The sound adds new depth and clarity to the instruments and vocals. The extra tracks on cd 2 are awesome jewels as well. This 2 cd set just quenches my thirst for the big box, eventually when the price goes way south I'll get the box.

I'll tell you I would have gotten this 2 cd set even if I had gotten the box first. The 2 cd digipak is a nice set to own covering this heralded album. I like this new reissue better than my shm -CD of AFD.

13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Alright just slapped on the new remaster vinyl and it sounds excellent! Noticeably better than the 2008. Could do with a little more low end perhaps, but what is there is tight . Very clear, big wide soundstage, excellent detail. And I am f*n cranking it, exactly as it should be! Pressing quality excellent, no crackle or pop at all.

Packaging is also excellent with a gatefold inside a cool foil slip-on cover.

Job well done!

14. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I’ve never heard the guitars crunch this good. Fantastic stuff!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I do wish the bass had more punch. I tried lowering VTA but that didn’t fix so I think it’s in the mix or master. Anyone else care to comment?

Still sound fantastic though.

16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Paradise City sounds incredible! The detail in both guitars is incredible. I’m actually getting involuntary goosebumps and I’m a 43 yo white male who is not easily impressed. Awesome!

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Interesting vinyl unboxing.

Dorian75 likes this.
  18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I’ve never heard this detail in the guitars before. If you’re a guitarist and you want to hear EXACTLY what both Izzy and Slash are playing you must hear this new remaster on a high resolution system.

Droogmeister likes this.
  19. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I realize I am getting hyperbolic now, but this is likely the best remaster that I’ve ever heard, relative to the original. Just incredible sound.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Yep!:edthumbs:

Droogmeister likes this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have been able to listen to, two of the three sides of the vinyl so far. Really happy with the over all sound, especially the guitar work, and even the depth the vocals take on. My question (and maybe just me getting used to it) could there not have been just a little more bottom end added to the over all vinyl sound? With that said, very happy with my purchase, so tonight my pad is turning in to a Friday Night Rock House, yahoo!

22. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

That's what I heard too. The only thing lacking is some more bass punch. The SQ overall is excellent though, incredible detail especially in the guitars. I can only speculate that's what is in the mix and so nothing much could be done with the bass at the mastering stage?

scotti likes this.
  23. I haven’t heard the vinyl but I prefer the original to the remastered CD. The remastered CD isn’t a sonic travesty but it has lost a little bit of the punch of the original in places.

Demolition Man likes this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

GNR sells this album so many gosh darn ways, it's all Greek to me.:shrug:

25. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

I was afraid if I ordered from the US, I would just get the 12 also.. so I ordered from Amazon, Germany and just got mine.. and all 4 CDs come with the download. :pineapple:

It is apparent though that the there are 2 totally different download cards. One for USA & Canada, and another for Europe.

Michael Rose and JasonA like this.