Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I went to record shops in my three nearest decent size towns, and to large branches of supermarkets in all of them. The record shops came back as two only had one copy of the deluxe so out of stock, and "copy never arrived" and the only copy I found in seven supermarket CD sections was the one disc version. Then people wonder why we shop online......

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I’ve owned and enjoyed the SDE since release.

I’ve read through most of this thread.

Wished I read about the US/German difference re: download card for the vinyl, because I finally picked up the double vinyl in a local shop.

I’m reading the arguments re: vinyl - digital, etc...

As insane as this sounds, I’m probably going to buy the iTunes SDE now to get all the tracks I DID NOT get with the vinyl.

I have a good vinyl set up, and a decent digital front end. I dig both formats.

My question:

For those that have the remastered CDs and the vinyl, does the Vinyl sound better to you?

I haven’t cleaned and played my records yet. Already bummed that I downloaded what I already have.

I just want to know whether I have a nice foldout with inner sleeves and a hologram, or an even “slightly” better listening experience if I clean and play these records...or, ha...I may just not clean em for awhile.

So, to your ears....new vinyl vs new cd? Thanks.

Michael Rose and coffeetime like this.
  3. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

New vinyl, I have the double CD and listened to both discs last night. Vinyl has the edge or maybe my CD player is showing its weakness.

Clanceman likes this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Finally got around to listening my way through this.

Honestly didn't notice much difference with the new album remaster. Certainly don't feel any pressing need to replace my existing CD rip on my iPod with the new disc. That said, the main reason to buy was always the bonus stuff anyway.

The highlight is definitely the polished-up version of "Shadow of Your Love". I can see why it didn't get on the album - it's a bit too similar to "You're Crazy" - but it's a great song nonetheless and definitely would've worked as a B-side. Still don't get why they put GN'R Lies on disc two. Anyone interested in this set is almost certainly going to have a copy of that on their shelf already, and even if they didn't, they could pick one up new for a couple of quid from Amazon. Even more dumb is the omission of "One in a Million" - I know it's a highly controversial track, but why put everything else from Lies on there and then omit one song when it can still be found on the version you could buy separately? Not stripping the fake audience noise from the faux live tracks was also a bad call - that at least would've justified doubling up on otherwise available material.

The demo's are neat but as tends to be the case with demos, probably not something I'll listen to more than the once. The most interesting of them are the tracks that didn't ultimately end up on the album - the studio takes of the GN'R Lies songs without overdubbed crowd noise (even if they're different performances), the Presley and Stones covers and the unfinished jams. The omission of "Don't Cry" from the session is another baffling oversight, especially considering the other tracks later developed for Use Your Illusion have been included.

Still, the digital download isn't bad at £26. Quite reasonable for the amount of music you get. Not sure we needed five different versions of "You're Crazy", but there you go. I'd definitely recommend the digital version if you're only after the music; comparing it to even the cheaper of the two physical sets, it certainly doesn't seem worth paying an additional £125 just for some replica tat and a few music videos.

craigobau, redsock, Gavman and 8 others like this.
  5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Thanks

I shall clean, play, & enjoy.

*Good on the folks who got the full download w their vinyl. Tbh, I hate downloading. Absolutely hate it. My 18’ model car only takes a freakin thumbdrive. I still travel w my iPod classic.
    The only friggin easy thing for me is buying iTunes & adding to my iPod or this ridiculous thumb drive.

So...I’m at $128 for the SDE physical copy, $30.96 for the deluxe Vinyl, and....$29 for the iTunes SDE

My only revenge is buying Apple stock (ha, hope it’s not GE in 20 yrs) ....I try to make a stock buy every time I pay these ppl. I know it’s nuts. But, the whole download & click & cloud era seems nuts too.

Rock on! :tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Why not just rip all your SDE CDs to roll your own iTunes files and save $29?

7. booker

booker Forum Resident

OK. Since to date there was no A/B comparison of new vinyl to US1P here I am posting below sample of WLTTJ off the AFD US1P. Here is a simple question for those with newly purchased vinyl reissue: how this sample compares to new remaster. Better, worse, different - if so in what? Here it is:
    Dropbox - gnr sample.wav

Clanceman and dvcarrick like this.
  8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So I have finally given the bonus material and the new CD remaster a proper listen.

Sound quality - nothing radical to report here, thankfully. The instrument separation makes it a little easier to listen in on Slash and Izzy's magical guitar interplay. And Duff's bass has a little more of that nasty Fender Jazz growl. Apart from that, I can't hear any noticable change, which is a relief.

So, common sense has won the day here - it's not often you can say that about GnR! Like Axl's new best mate, Angus Young, said in another context - 'why **** with the magic?'

It is very cool to have songs like Shadow of your Love, Ain't Goin' Down, Heartbreak Hotel and Jumpin' Jack Flash in good quality.

In about 2002, I burned a CD of GnR outtakes with all of their known unreleased songs, made up of Audiogalaxy downloads. It also had some other fun stuff, like Axl's famous stage rant when he says 'Bon Jovi can suck my dick!'

I played that to death. And now I am so happy to have some of those rare gems in professional quality. Let's hope the unreleased stuff keeps coming.

And yes, with this being GnR, I know I'll need more than just a little patience...

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love those bodacious harmonies in Sweet Child O' Mine at about the 2:57 mark. Short but sounds like heaven on the remaster.

Matthew Tate, Clanceman and Dorian75 like this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I don’t rip. Mac network-notebook-iPads-iPhones ...no cd ripping function.

For me, it’s all a pain in the a**

I play CDs ...vinyl...and reluctantly click iTunes & pay: It’s easy..so f*@#* easy. Lol

11. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

You can probably buy an external CD drive for $29 these days.

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Honestly....I just don’t want to jack with it.

But, maybe I can pay one of my kids to buy one & do it all for me. Someday. Just sick of sitting at computers for music, downloading, etc...

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just picked up 2 lp reissue this morning will wait for it snail mail. I'm psyched for this vinyl reissue.

14. Droogmeister

You're gonna love it!

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Let us know your thoughts, going to take mine for a second spin this afternoon, and will be cranking this bad boy up, after I put my dog upstairs for his nap...

16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

That dog won’t be asleep for long!

17. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Agreed it’s a great vinyl release. Great mastering and excellent pressing quality. Well done all around.

Clanceman, scotti and Droogmeister like this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks

Clanceman and Droogmeister like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got to really crank up the vinyl version yesterday and on second listen, I am really impressed. The guitar work and instrumentation rocks big time with the vocals just as sweet as can be!

After my first listen, was a tad concerned about the lack of bottom end/bass, but before I listened a second time, I made some adjustments to my system. I added some more bottom and bass to my subs and the results were amazing! This album now delivers what I was hoping for in almost every way! My feedback would be, make the needed adjustments and enjoy the ride!

Also have enjoyed reading all of the feedback on the other versions available of this classic album!

20. Droogmeister

I must say, until this particular release, it had been a number of years since I'd listened to the full album. I now play the new vinyl each weekend, it really is an outstanding debut and ditto your thoughts and experiences man..

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It had been well over 25 years myself since I listened to it myself. I literally over dosed on this album because our stores were playing it in an almost constant rotation, heck back in the day the labels gave you advertising dollars and discounts to spin their releases...oh the good ol' days!

I forgot how bad as$ of an album this really is and now on re-mastered vinyl, yahoo!

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just got 2 lp set in snail mail today. Will be thoroughly cleaned this weekend. Beautiful STERLING stamped vinyl. Got the download key as well. Will crank this beast up by Monday.

Hopefully super deluxe box price will go way down at least by Christmas time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Finally got the 2 CD set. Neighbours say it sounds good.......

24. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

They also say they are living right next door to hell ...

supernaut, Runicen, Krzych and 4 others like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

As I said earlier in this thread I will fire up that new 2 lp AFD by Monday. Cleaning it by today or tomorrow.