Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

3. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

The remaster is most definitely not brickwalled at all.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's good news!

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a fantastic read, thank u! Interesting to see that Slash calls 2005/6 "a low" because I vividly remember Velvet Revolver playing Roskilde''s Orange Stage on Thursday, the festivals first proper day, in 2005. I skipped Sonic Youth to see them and it was a great and somewhat bizarre show but full of energy. :goodie:

6. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Darn, this is one of the few times for me when the extra musical content is worth it on an expanded release. What I’ve heard is really awesome. Blasted! How long before they release the Sound City Sessions as individual releases?
    :shrug:

NunoBento and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Not in this lifetime! :sigh:

8. Exile On My Street

I've been monitoring the price of the Super Deluxe set on Amazon and several other sites anticipating a significant price drop at some point. Amazon US currently only has it available through third party sellers which I found to be odd considering this release isn't even two months old.

9. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

A lot of times that has less do with overamped compression, and mostly just has to do with ****ty EQ. You can still EQ a fairly compressed album to sound good. It's very possible, and there are many examples. But you can't make a badly EQ'd record sound good, and compression just enhances poor sound especially in the treble range.

I too hate when people want to compress AND then also make the treble stick out like it's going to hit you. It just sucks listening to records like that.

eric777 likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just hopefully by Thanksgiving or Black Friday the price of this box goes way down. Definitely want to get it. Just gotta wait.

:waiting:

11. Keithcello

Keithcello Active Member

Hello everybody, I own the original cd and I would like to buy a vinyl version of this album.

The first US press is very expensive and I don't want to spend all this money on a LP:

Guns N’ Roses Appetite For Destruction 1st Press 1987 Sterling LP Vinyl RARE | eBay

I could buy a different version of the first print, just like this one:

tps://www.ebay.it/itm/Guns-N-Roses-rare-91-GER-press-LP-Appetite-For-Destruction-on-Geffen-EX-ROBOT/132481458391?hash=item1ed882a0d7:g:NYQAAOSwZoZaaIkX

or I could buy the new 2 vinyl remastered version.

So, what do you think? It's better to buy a 1st press (even if not the rare 1st) or the new remastered?

Thanks.

Marcello

12. Exile On My Street

The super deluxe is down to $126.24 on Amazon and it states that you save an additional $8.24 at checkout so that's $118. That is by far the cheapest I've seen the set anywhere. It's $126.44 on ImportCDs.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks Exile

Exile On My Street likes this.
  14. Exile On My Street

Maybe it will drop further around the holidays like you said. I meant to add that to my post above but got distracted by a phone call and hit reply.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'll just wait it out maybe deluxe box goes down more as the holiday season approaches.

16. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I paid $116 for the box set back in June. Importcds with a TAKE10 discount code.

17. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I think the new remastered two LP version is a great choice. You can't go wrong with it.

John Grimes and Droogmeister like this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

CD 2 on the 2 cd edition rocks!!
    Will hopefully be getting box soon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Amazon UK have the SDE at £82.99 as of this moment(8:20am Sat 1 Sept) - less than half of the initial £169.99 price. I'd already bought the SDE on iTunes but at this price, it would be rude not to pick up the book and the 5.1 mix.

20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

That’s me penniless for the rest of the month. Ta.

21. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Yes, same here. Fallen prey to temptation. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't heard about this before I filled up the credit cartd with other goodies......

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'm sure most of us have been their. ;)

PJayBe likes this.
  23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Dipped into the holiday savings for my set, and I've resisted the Automatic for the People SDE Amazon suggested I might also like (they're right!). Just spent £250 on car service, tyres etc so no disposable cash this month. Still, I'll be as happy as a pig in the proverbial when the SDE set arrives tomorrow. Skint but happy.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

AWESOME

robtodd and coffeetime like this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Amazon's delivery dormouse finally managed get my SDE inside Amazon Lockers today (yesterday the package was undeliverable as the delivery driver couldn't get get inside the front door...of the lockers....). Kudos to my wife for collecting the parcel and having it waiting when I got in from work.

Posting a few first impressions after checking out the physical side and the Blu Ray. No point in going over the 4 CDs as I already have that material from iTunes, save to say that the mastering and track selection are all great. OIAM I can understand the omission, even if I don't agree. Plenty to make up for its loss though. Also bear in mind I've paid £82 ($105 USD converted), so calibrate accordingly.

So, the packaging. I've left the shrink wrap and the contents sticker on and cut away the polythene on the open slot side of the box, as people have alluded to the build quality of the box failing and splitting after light use. The embossed front and back look great but I've no idea how the material feels.

The book is lovely. Whilst the binding quality isn't quite up to the Zep SDEs and the hardbacks in the SMiLE Sessions/Pepper sets, it is a great book. The photos evoke the era perfectly and I'm looking forward to diving into the detail of the book, the notes and flyers, memos etc. I'm far from a GnR die hard but was around to soak up the albums initial impact, and the anticipation and release of the UYI sets culminating in seeing the band in 1992. No complaints about the paper or photo reproduction quality. I'm guessing the band benefitted from the more visual era of the 80s rather than the less video and image driven 70s here. Either way, a lovely book I'm wanting to spend time with,

The ephemera is also good. The individual band images & poster are great but they'll be staying in the set along with posters supplied in other SDE sets. Despite their 'gimmick' factor, I do like the reproduction tickets and flyers (cf Floyd Immersion sets). As with the photos in the book, they help evoke the era and scene the album came from and work brilliantly as a scene setter when listening to the album.

The temp tattoos can stay in their plastic envelope. Cute but I've no real use for them.

And onto the main event as far as I'm concerned, the Blu Ray. Here the set knocks it out of the park. My high water mark for Blu Ray & multichannel is Floyd. Given that Appetite is a different animal to Floyd and not as suited for multichannel mixing, the 5.1 is fabulous. I have a reasonably decent 5.1 setup (see my sig below), and so far I've only had time to check out Welcome and Sweet Child. Both make great use of the split surrounds to highlight Izzy & Slash in isolation, with the different (drier ?) sounding mix forcing me to listen anew to the album. The sound floats when it needs to, with tasteful (as opposed to ping pong gimmickry) use of the individuals channels. I'm seriously looking forward hearing the 5.1 version of the album in full, ideally with the house to myself, cranked and with a glass of something red and full bodied. If the Blu Ray ever gets a standalone release, anyone with a half decent surround system owes it to themselves to pick it up. The 5.1 in DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD (the latter of which has a backwards compatible Dolby Digital core) along with a 2.0 PCM tracks ensures that everyone can make the best use of the music according to their system's capability.

I also appreciate the use of the per-song animated artwork; I now understand where the per-song art sheets in the locked n loaded set were for. And with a child in the room, I also appreciate being able to turn said graphics off.

The bonus tracks also being in 5.1 is a great, well, bonus. Close your eyes and the band could be in the room playing Patience for you.

I also briefly checked out the video for Welcome; beautifully restored and again with the 5.1 from the main album.

The Blu Ray can be safely described as sensational and justifies the cost of the set, as per the Dark Side and Wish Floyd Immersion sets. The disc was the main reason I wanted the set when it was first announced and it does not disappoint. A heartfelt Thank You to the mixing engineers and production people for this disc - you absolutely nailed it.

Enough of the gushing....

If a similar set or sets are being considered for the UYI albums I'm in. If those albums can have a 5.1 lossless hi-res mix of this calibre, I'll be in on day 1.

I've gone back and rewatched the Locked n Loaded set unboxing video on YouTube. yes, its insanely overpriced and there is no way I'd consider buying it, but for the well heeled fan (those that fly internationally to attend concerts etc, I've met them), it looks to be beautifully produced, vinyl, flyers, rings and lapel pins and all.

In short, box construction could be better, book binding could be better, photos and ephemera are great and the Blu Ray makes up for any and all shortcomings and then some.

Jam757, Spudz25, ceddy10165 and 8 others like this.