Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

AWESOME glad you enjoyed your SDE AFD box and sharing your experience with us. Eventually I will get mine. :waiting:

coffeetime likes this.
  2. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I'm glad you liked it, but the idea that a Blu-ray is worth over £100 (considering you can get all the music for under £30) is a bit daft.

3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I can't help but prefer my original CDs of Appetite and Lies. I find the remaster somewhat bright, certainly where the Lies material is concerned. As with most remasters I found this to be a disappointment.

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Which is why I mentioned that I'd paid £82 for the set, rather than £169 or similar. A good 5.1 Blu Ray is my main attraction for sets like this. INXS and David Gilmour have managed to put out sets featuring terrific Blu Rays for under £40, and even the Floyd & Beatles sets at the £99 mark have been worth it (to me personally) for their Blu Ray inclusion. A lossless 5.1 mix is the one thing that cannot easily be replicated with downloads - it can be done but I'm not aware of anyone who has - and makes these sets worthwhile to me. I'm not arguing that the Blu Ray itself is worth over £100 merely that a set containing a good 5.1 mix makes the £100 easier to swallow than a set that does not.

On the other hand, plenty of people find 5.1 Blu rays and audio only DVDs superfluous in these sets, as others again do with vinyl. I've never once played any of the vinyl in the SMiLE Sessions, Floyd Early Days or Zep SDE sets but I'm sure there are plenty for whom their inclusion is key to paying the prices being asked.

I'd already bought the Appetite SDE stereo music itself from iTunes for £29 when the reissue came out, so the entire set lives or dies for me on the 5.1 mix and the book. For me, at this price, it's passed. YMMV. :)

smokeverbs, Dmdstrhalo and weekendtoy like this.
  5. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The animations are a little odd at times. Whilst Mr. Brownstone works great and the skeletal sex positions of Anything Goes are hilarious, I find the razor blade tongued Axl of Rocket Queen slightly disturbing. Have to admit putting the Anything Goes video into black & white fore the acoustic is a basic trick that works.

Mix is really good though, bet there's stuff on there the band haven't heard since they recorded it!!

7. RhyeKing77

RhyeKing77 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca has the Super Deluxe for $99.99 Canadian today.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Doesn't ship to US... :cry:

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

10. sunking101

As a massive Appetite fan who if it wasn't for the dreaded overplaying would have the album as one of my top five favourites, I'm disappointed with what we got after 30 years. A remastering which is a bit meh, Lies minus One In A Million which I already have & with a better mastering, and Shadow Of Your Love which sounds like a Motley Crüe b side. I've played it all twice and think I'll spin the original mastering whenever I play Appetite in the future.

11. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

What is the typical price?

12. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

£79.99 on amazon UK at the moment. Almost pulled the trigger.

coffeetime likes this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That really P's me off, £90 less than us early buyers paid.

sunking101 likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Standard Operating Procedure.

chilinvilin likes this.
  15. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

No mention of the 5.1 disc which for me is the star of the show. I totally agree with your assessment of overplaying this album 'back in the day'. The 5.1 mix gives the songs new life, and is a fresh and fun (all over again) way to the listen to the album.

16. sunking101

I only got the deluxe 2-disc version. I have no need for the 5.1 but if that makes the box for you then I can't argue with that. :thumbsup:

weekendtoy likes this.
  17. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I picked up the $99 box from amazon.ca. Just finished listening to the 5.1 surround - simply fantastic - makes the Hendrix Electric Ladyland sound like amateur hour. What a fantastic mix.

18. Son of Dork

Son of Dork Forum Resident

The SDE box is down to $92.75 on Amazon (prime).

19. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Agreed

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Spudz25

Spudz25 Forum Resident

Just ordered mySuper Deluxe from Amazon tonight. $93.xx and then 10% off coupon on the item at checkout.

Can’t wait to crank the 5.1!

Thanks for all the great reviews which made buying the set a lot less scary!

22. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Glad I checked this thread! Placed order with Amazon immediately!

23. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Placed my order yesterday from Amazon, it was delivered this morning at 6:45am. Never had a USPS delivery that early. First thing i did was play the 5.1 blu-ray and it sounded great! One thing I noticed was the metadata is in correct on CD2,3 & 4. Only noticed because I played this on my Oppo 203 which is in my home theater system and the TV was on. Hopefully when I rip these iTunes will know the correct metadata. I don't have a cd player in my 2ch system.

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I just requested the two disc set from the New Jersey Inter Library Loan system. I'm looking forward to hearing the live Marquee tracks from my old vinyl Guns 'n Roses Japanese EP, Guns N' Roses (EP) - Wikipedia .

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  25. I hope you are not talking about the INXS Kick Blu-ray because it sounds terrible. Compressed within an inch of its life and has a very wimpy loud sound. Plus, they call it an Atmos remix but I hear little evidence of height channel involvement (albeit pretty unnecessary for music anyway).