Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. He probably doesn’t want to exhude that persona anymore, either. I don’t think there was ever a sober Slash interview during his GnR days. Axl was always sharp during interviews, while Slash and Duff always sounded like Beavis and Butthead. Rather than coming off as a “rock and roll bad boy,” Slash always sounded more like Jeff Spicolli.

2. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

That's untrue. Even though Axl whenever he gave an interview, was more specific, Slash was quite straightforward too and never ********ting. In terms of interviews conducted around 92-93 Duff and Slash, who gave the interviews in the majority, were trying to leave the hot spots, in retrospect, noone was giving ****. To say they were Beavis and Butthead is a mere embellishment.

3. Just calling it like I see it. I haven’t seen all the interviews the band members ever gave, but a lot of them had a Beavis and Butthead/Bill and Ted vibe. I’m talking about the interviews in the late 80’s, primarily. I did not pay attention to the ones they gave in the 90’s.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

While we are already veering off topic here, anybody ever see Comedy Centrals long canceled Kid Notorious? Slash was one of the stars of this cartoon and it was pretty great.

5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This box set will be awesome.

Can’t wait.

Matthew Tate, RPOZ51 and steveharris like this.
  6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Been away from the thread for the weekend (sick kid, my 8 year old is diabetic and when she gets sick her sugar gets outta whack). Anyway, I heard "Shadow Of Your Love" on our classic rock station. Was cool to hear it on the radio in the car. They NEVER play anything new so it was a nice surprise.

coffeetime and artfromtex like this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Clanceman and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. MikeInFla

Just heard an interview with Steven Adler and he said "Shadow Of Your Love" has been re-recorded and that ain't him on the drums. I dunno, maybe I don't have a good enough ear but it sure sounds like classic GNR to me, maybe he just doesn't remember recording it.

stonesfcr and Szeppelin75 like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Interesting. One hopes there are not "re-recordings" and contemporary overdubs all over the outtakes.

10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Well it is Adler. It might be true, it might be a way to get himself attention.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Definitely sounds like there's some rerecording. I don't know about the drums but some of the guitar doesn't sound like '87 Slash.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  12. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny, don’t know if it’s true or not but when I first heard the new single it sounded like parts had been updated (in a great way)! I love the background vocals, those seem like new overdubs.

13. sprtm

sprtm Forum Resident

All other tracks on the 1986 Sound City Session N' More disc (on iTunes) have (1986 Sound City Session) added to the track title. Except Shadow of Your Love. I think it might've been re-recorded completely. It doesn't sound like any fo the old bootleg demos.

14. MikeInFla

Not sure who performs on this one or if this is Hollywood Rose or GNR. I much prefer the latest version of the song but this is good too, lots of raw energy.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  15. LonesomeDayBlues

Definitely possible. The main vocals sound vintage. Don’t think Axl can sound like that anymore.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  16. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

coffeetime likes this.
  17. I haven't compared it to bootleg recordings I have but it didn't sound like a re-recording to me the one or two times I've listened to it. I haven't listened carefully so I could be wrong. Hopefully there haven't been overdubs on the demo discs. That would pretty much ruin this release for me. I don't care about the remastered AFD, I don't care that much about the blu-ray audio, but I'd really like to have these demos I've had (well most of them) since 1989 or so in great quality. If they feature modern overdubs I'm not interested in this box at all.

mark renard likes this.
  18. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I did some comparisons yesterday with a bunch of the demos online and it was hard for me to to tell. The new recording is obviously cleaned up a bunch and at a minimum, they pulled the drums forward in the new version. Listening to the demos, it sounds like the drums were recorded on somebody's boombox.

Brett44 likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This version of 'SOYL' is supposed to be from a pre-Appetite session with Mike Clink, not from any of the previously circulated demo sessions. So I guess it would sound different than what's been out there even if it were 100% untouched. But I don't think it is completely untouched. Something about the way the guitar sounds seems off. It just sounds like later Slash.

20. That’s because it is supposedly from a different Clink session.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. What he said!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

It honestly makes sense that they would overdub or re-record the one track that they planned to use to promote the box set. Releasing a demo as a single is pretty much unheard of.

Based on the track listing, it looks as though the other tracks didn’t undergo similar treatment. Hopefully not, anyway.

23. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

So, I'm dumb and lazy...
    Does that mean it's the classic lineup with Adler & Stradlin?

24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

2 of the unreleased tracks were produced by Mike Clink. SOYL was one of the two.

I don't hear anything conspicuous in regards to overdubs.

I take Adler's comments with a grain of salt. They recorded that song many different times at many different tempos.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. LonesomeDayBlues

I have every Shadow Of Your Love version that officially and unofficially circulate. Not one version has the background chorus melody. Even the oldest demo from Hollywood Rose doesn't have this. These totally sound like new overdubs (imo). As other have noted, I think the guitars have been beefed up as well.

Szeppelin75 and Matthew Tate like this.