GZ Vinyl Quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EttdDan, May 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM.

1. EttdDan

EttdDan New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, though I've been a long time observer from afar. Today, I received my band's new album on vinyl fresh from GZ Media. Several things have gone wrong, first the artwork is way too big and not how the proofs represented the original intent. Also upon receiving the records, I notice some minor scratches or blemishes on the surface. Record labels also seem to be slightly off centre on most of the pressings. Secondly, I think the records may be inferior as they seem to be getting worn out on only one play so far. I've checked my stylus and it is in perfectly good shape, doesn't do this to my other records. I am posting these images to ask for another opinion on what you think.

What makes me think they are inferior?

Well before being played, the light that gets refracted from the grooves don't look quite so 'greasy' or 'oily'.

What can I do? Do the pictures warrant an email to GZ?

Pictures here:
    IMG 4267
    IMG 8585
    IMG 5223
    IMG 5560
    IMG 4395
    IMG 1273
    IMG 5961
    IMG 2509
    IMG 2161
    IMG 7314
    IMG 1846
    IMG 5325
    IMG 0070
    IMG 3037
    IMG 8254

izgoblin likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Forum Resident

Based on some of your pictures, that pressing looks awful. I'd definitely hold their feet to the fire. That's not acceptable.

GZ is hit and miss. They're capable of doing good work but can be really shoddy as welll.

There are some here that have had good luck with GZ pressings. I don't totally trust them.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    Raving Russell, Tullman and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Totally looks like GZ went back to their roots:whistle:

I used to hate these guys but in all fairness have to say that I thought they had improved recently. This is totally unacceptable. And reminds me of certain GZ jobs from around 2011/3.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I certainly wouldn't pay for that as a consumer, and I wouldn't want fans of my band to spend their money on something of that quality. Your band deserves better, and they are capable of delivering it.

5. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Active Member

Send a claim to your broker with photos and several records having those problems. The broker will make a claim directly to GZ and there is a dedicated claim department (incl. acoustic quality control guys). They will investigate it, accept or reject it and probably offer some kind of solution.
    There CAN BE some differences in light refraction between unplayed records and records after one or several plays. You have clean/smooth groove walls on unplayed records, but groove walls with some tracking marks after even the first play. It can be easily seen in a microscope.

ShallowMemory and jon9091 like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

I'm puzzled how a record is worn out after one play no matter how bad the pressing? I have had bad looking pressings from GZ that play fine. Those marks do appear the type that may be audible.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. bodicus

bodicus Well-Known Member

I wouldn`t accept them. Also, if you notice wear after one play something is wrong with your deck I`m afraid :-(.

Dubmart and patient_ot like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

At the end of the day, it's your band's record, and if you're not happy, you have every right to complain to the manufacturer.

Hard to tell if those scratches would be audible or not. Dont' look great though.

What TT are you testing this on BTW? I've never heard of any record "wearing out" after one or two plays. Sounds like a TT problem.

9. patient_ot

I highly doubt GZ, or any plant really, provides the same level of service to big bucks clients as some small fry independent band. Matter of fact, complaints from the latter w/r/t GZ are pretty common.

10. robertzombie

robertzombie Forum Resident

That looks pretty bad :( Did you get a test pressing in advance? We get all our records pressed with GZ and they are always perfect but we always get a TP and always pay extra for poly-lined inners.

Dubmart likes this.
  11. bodicus

bodicus Well-Known Member

I recently bought an EP from an Irish band called MegaCone (deadly band :)) which was manufactured by GZ. It is utterly perfect - sleeve/vinyl. I think perhaps a donkey was in charge of your project by the looks of things. Give them stick and demand proper product and don`t give them another penny either. Hope you get it sorted.

12. EttdDan

Thanks for your reply to the post. The turntable I'm using is a JVC L-A10 with counter weight tone arm set to light.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm raising a case with GZ via the acting company. Hopefully this goes somewhere. GZ shouldn't make their products feel rushed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017 at 1:50 PM
  13. patient_ot

Set to light? Please elaborate. The tracking force needs to be set to the proper weight specified by the manufacturer of your cartridge. Not to some random "light" setting.

robertzombie likes this.
  14. EttdDan

To be more specific, it is an Audio Technica stylus being used, no idea which model though. It is set to 1.5 which I believe if the recommended weight for AT styli.

15. patient_ot

AT has several different models with different recommended weights, so that doesn't help us much. Do you have a hi-fi shop near you where you can test your record on a demo rig? If so take 3-4 random picks out of the box and demo them on a store rig. See if the scratches are audible. I've had brand new records from GZ where they had surface scratches that were 100% inaudible when played. That doesn't mean GZ didn't screw up your records or jackets or whatever. Just a point of reference.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Forum Resident

This, ALWAYS get TPs and actually play them and get poly-lined inner sleeves, they are worth the extra cost.

patient_ot and robertzombie like this.
  17. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Active Member

Through DMS, I presume? Was your test pressing sent in a poly-sleeve? That seems to be the only way to guarantee good GZ product. It's clever, as the client hears the best quality and oks a run. The number of times I've complained to a label and been told 'the test pressings were great' to dismiss any comments.

robertzombie and patient_ot like this.
  18. EttdDan

Through a different UK based company called Breed Media (parent company is Key Production). Though this isn't their fault at all in any way, shape or form. I've used Breed and GZ on four previous releases all with TPs and they have been much better quality. This recent release didn't have the budget to get TPs added into the equation. They were simply cut, processed and pressed. I was told however last week, that I would have to wait a little extra for my order as the initial first run came out heavily warped. They made sure to repress this batch using the same stamper as the run out groove ID indicates it is an A category pressing (if it was a recut, it would be a C category pressing on the stamper ID).

I would like to point out though that the guys at Breed Media and Key Production are fantastic and very much professionals at their work in helping artists achieve their artistic goals. Absolutely nothing bad to say about their work.

19. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Active Member

Fair enough. GZ less so. They admit that the poly-sleeves are recommended but keep making the abrasive paper or card inner sleeve that cause damage. I've had some great pressings from them recently and some terrible ones.

robertzombie likes this.
  20. EttdDan

Well going through the pressings in boxes yesterday, I had noticed some of the paper sleeves were just rammed into the main sleeve without a care as most were bent, buckled and torn. Not sure how I would stand a chance if I raised that as a claim because there is no evidence it was done by them after I've handled them.

21. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Active Member

There's a clip on YouTube showing factory staff tossing the records around. Hardly conclusive but arguably sufficient to suggest a lack of care in the factory. I'd list and challenge everything. They know exactly what their low end pressings can be like.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Forum Resident

Key have always used GZ haven't they? Are there any brokers who use Optimal or even MPO? Looking at those pressings you'd be better of using Luton and probably save a ton of money in the process, especially if within driving distance.

23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'd like to hear how this turns out. The cost of setting up a press to run all of these and then ship them is high, so I can't for the life of me imagine that GZ is going to just do another run for free, even if it is their fault.

Unfortunately test pressings won't tell everything, as I know from experience with Gotta Groove myself. In that case, I blame myself for OK'ing things I wasn't happy with just because we were way behind schedule, but my experience did prevent me from recommending them to someone else who asked me where to get their records pressed.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I've had good luck with some but they tend to be dirtier than they should be.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Forum Resident

Plus they screwed up the art work which means that not only has to be reprinted, but also redone, unless there was an issue with how it was originally sent, at least it looks like the cut/stampers are okay.

patient_ot and izgoblin like this.