Hacking a Peanuts Crosley RSD Record Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinylsoul 1965, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member Thread Starter

I am embarrassed to admit this, but my name is Christopher and....I bought a Peanuts Record Player last Saturday on RSD.

The audiophile in me CRINGED when I even debated buying it. I KNEW that it would never play my trusted and expensive vinyl collection. Everything inside me said, "Do NOT be fooled by this charlatan who uses your favourite colours and comic book character from your childhood to steal $130 from your wallet".

"Maybe my two children - ages 14 and 10 - would finally get into playing records if they used it?"

SO yes, I did it. I bought one of these plastic monstrosities...because I think it triggered something from my childhood. Peanuts have always represented a happy time in my childhood (my Aunt would always bring back groovy Peanuts things from the States for me because she knew I loved them). And orange is not only my favourite colour, it is a mission statement. Enough said.

I thought I would begin a thread on this, as I was thinking..."how hard would it be to simply replace the table portion on this small player with an older model table - with some modifications - and then actually have a decent table, with the ability to set the weight on the tone arm, change carts, etc. that wouldn't ruin my records?"

So, I am going to start a thread for all of us who bought one of these things to see if we can save the case of this toy player and make a frankenstein turntable. It might be an exercise in futility, but if it COULD happen, I know the best place to ask for advice would be here on the sh forum.

My first question is this (and I have just begun looking): are there any old SMALL tables with these dimensions: 9 x 13 x 2 that one could plop into this case?

Worst case scenario: I have a ton of old vinyl that I would never play on my Rega tables, and this allows me to play them for fun (as well as some beat up 78s that I won't play on my Elac Miracord designated for 78s). If it is relegated as a piece of furniture in my studio so be it. I was ok with that when I bought it :)

Let the fun and the dreaming begin!

PennyLanes, forthlin, Bolero and 5 others like this.
  2. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

GOOD GRIEF... (jk)

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Have you asked Lucy?

EasterEverywhere, MikeyP and mikeyt like this.
  4. i haven't seen one photo of this thing

5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

How much did these go for?

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

PennyLanes and crispi like this.
  7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

List was $119.99

8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

LMAO!

alanb likes this.
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

In some sick way I really like that.:biglaugh:

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd start off by putting an SME 309 arm on it.

alanb, MrRom92 and johnny q like this.
  11. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Meh. Keep it as is. Nice collectible, not necessary for playing.

nm_west and auburn278 like this.
  12. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

i'd blow apart a Rega and take the arm, motor and platter assemble and mill a new mdf insert to replace the crossly plastic bit and make a "Sleeper" out of it

13. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

can't really pull the arm unless you put another crystal cart on the new arm for the internal amp/phono

14. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

I had one of these in-hand Tuesday but didn't bite because cute as it is , the quality is for crap. There is no scenario to drop anything into that case that makes any sense at all unless you wanted to spend silly four-figure money to have someone hand-build something modified from other components. Enjoy it for what it is... Cute Crap.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

I bought one, too. It will likely forever be a decoration. Unless I have kids and introduce them to records. Or maybe to take to record shows.

PennyLanes likes this.
  16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I would have purchased one, but my local store didn't have one.

P.S. Actually I would have to pass if the charge was $119. I was thinking $50-60. They got 'em for up to $300-400 on ebay now. I'll somehow extra pass on that.

Dan C likes this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I looked at it.
    wanted to buy it.
    left thinking it would be weird walking out of the shop and by 200 people waiting to get in with one in my hand.
    What if I saw someone I knew??
    They had 20 so figured Id buy one on Monday when no one was looking.
    Yeah, they sold em all....

PennyLanes and forthlin like this.
  18. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I bought one but have not received it yet.

Mine is for my 3 year old. He has records and a record player currently but he shares his player with his mother (ProJect Debut III) and right now it is too high for him to reach. My thought is that he can have his beat up Disney and Raffi records in his room with this suitcase player and if anything gets more trashed, well, so be it :)

Edit:

I have no plans whatsoever to modify it and my record collection is not going anywhere near it or anywhere near a 3 year old's hands.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

[​IMG]

Is this it ? Ugh don't risk your precious vinyl. Worth about 1/10th the retail price.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  20. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Nice and very informative reply. :sigh:

black sheriff and Billy Infinity like this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wouldn't bother.

Just use it for non-rare, beat up, thrift store or dollar bin records.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Since it runs at 78rpm, one could get a 78 stylus for this unit and use it for some beat-up 78s. The heavy tracking weight of these Crosley arms should inflict much additional wear on some already-worn 78s.

Those tiny speakers probably make all records sound like a telephone recording, however.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is Crosley's generic player. I've seen the same model with other brand names on them. The plain jane design lets other people tart them up, design-wise. I came across one in a thrift store for $6 and examined it and passed. Not that the peanuts theme isn't cute, but its certainly not worth the effort trying to make something real out of it.

25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

But seriously, out of all the amusing sheepish "I bought a _____" confessions I've read here at The Hoff, this one may be my favorite :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.