Hacking a Peanuts Crosley RSD Record Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinylsoul 1965, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Egad! Clumsy tonearm and bearings. Horrid Ceramic cartridge which gave the genre a bad name. And I am no snob at that. The old Zenith Micro-Touch/VM changers with the Zenith/CBS Labs cartridge were very excellent and tracked at 2 grams and did no harm to vinyl. My Grandmother's Philco from 1967 equipped with a variant of that was gentle on records. Crosley is not. Decoration. No record I value will go near one of those horrors, bad when a better BSR slays one.

2. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I admire your thought process, sir.

Worth it for the thread title alone.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Should be 5 cents

6. Earwax

Earwax Forum Resident

7. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

haha, hilarious thread!

I can see the attraction, though

[​IMG]

I have fond memories of playing those thick, multicoloured Walt Disney 45's on a little foldout record player, when I was a kid

I would probably pick up a bunch of cheap used 45's from goodwill & let the kids run with it

PennyLanes, Dan C, auburn278 and 5 others like this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That's for the psychiatric help you will need after buying it.

upload_2014-4-23_23-6-44.jpeg

9. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

"UUUhhhHHHHhhhHHHHNNNNN!!!!!!"

in all seriousness though, OP, i wouldn't bother with this as anything more than a cute little decoration/conversation piece for your listening room.
    this from a lowly PIONEER loyalist, too, seemingly all but maligned around these parts.

seriously, to each their own, though. if you really wish to try tricking one of these out, please by all means knock yourself out. the results might prove quite interesting even.
    of course, you probably shouldn't hold the slightest hope of anything like Hi-Fi performance,
    even all tricked out, but who knows what one industrious enough might figure out
    with a base platform such as this? i've seen stranger things accomplished.in any case, good luck, OP...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well Chris I scarcely have the skills to attach a dust cover to a turntable so this is way above my expertise. Seems like you'd need to find something that would be appropriate with respect to the size, completely gut the Peanuts player, fit the new turntable and then build some kind of frame around it. You'd probably then want to completely outboard a preamp/amp/speakers for some reasonable sound. Good luck! You may have found the niche for a cottage industry:)

11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I dare you to cram a Thorens TD 124 in there!

EasterEverywhere, APH, MMM and 3 others like this.
  12. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

13. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I respect your purchase decision. I still have my old Peanuts lunch box from the early 70s.

Is that a P-mount cartridge? If so, the first thing I'd do is get a cheap Audio Technica P-Mount (AT3482P) for about $22.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's putting it gently. I would just say "junk." WTF is wrong with Crosley? Huge name. Huge distribution. Yet they can't pay some Japanese engineer a year's salary to design something half-way decent with the same resources as they have. Pffffffffft. No wonder the hate for Crosley.

sunspot42 and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  15. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

it would ruin their bottom line. :angel:

sunspot42 and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  16. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member Thread Starter

I like dares...:)

17. It's a fun looking object. I know many people like me would buy one in an instance if there was a Beatles version. The original 60s Beatles record players go for thousands now.

forthlin likes this.
  18. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

I'm scared....

19. Scocam

Scocam Forum Resident

I think it sounds like a fun project, personally! Do it because you can. Do it because it'll be fun but most of all do it because you want to do it! I wouldn't expect to be blown away by the sound quality but that's not what this is about. And having said that, I bet you could get it sounding passable for minimal investment. Do it!

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Turnduckentable.

21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm waiting for Clearaudio to do a Toy Story version or maybe VPI to do a Rocky and Bullwinkle version.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most of my Crosley upgrade ideas deal with implements of destruction. Some of them also involve my 'lil friend. So, how about the Top Ten ways to do just that? Friends don't let friends buy Crosleys. Nuff said!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

My anti-Crosley stance makes me unpopular in some circles. Its kinda funny. Then I went and bought one of these things because it is cute. :doh: I took it out of the box, went aww, and then repackaged it. Its sitting on top of an Expedit.

Vinylsoul 1965 and McLover like this.
  24. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

:laughup:

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have a smattering of LPs from my childhood that were played a lot on what could be considered lousy players. They still play fine! LPs, especially those from the 60s and 70s, were more durable than we give them credit. As long as the stylus isn't worn they'll actually survive a cheap player.

Of course I wouldn't play anything I'd consider valuable or rare, but I also wouldn't worry too much on the average stuff. Well, those styrene Columbia 45s maybe...but they'll get chewed up by almost everything (and if you found it at a thrift store odds are it's already chewed).

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.