Half of The Killers to sit out upcoming album tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Such drama. :laugh:
    It's a band. Members come and go. if they don't want to play, then let them go and get someone who does.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's really not especially lazy.

2004: Hot Fuss
    2006: Sam's Town
    2007: Sawdust (B-side compilation)
    2008: Day & Age
    2009: Live from the Royal Albert Hall

2010: Flamingo (Flowers solo album)

2012: Battle Born
    2013: Direct Hits (compilation)

2015: The Desired Effect (Flowers solo album)

2017: Wonderful Wonderful

I'm sure they toured for most of those albums, and tours nowadays run from 1-2 years.

California Couple likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There was also a compilation album last year of their annual Christmas singles.

Brandon's not lazy. The other guys, though... it seems like he has a hard time lighting fires under them, but doesn't want to ditch them either. (His albums haven't been successful enough.)

pghmusiclover likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes -- I forgot about the Christmas compilation, so they recorded new Christmas songs annually (I think).

It's a shame that his solo albums haven't done better. I think they are better than any of the Killers albums. And I saw him in a small club for the second album and he was electrifying!

5. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

For some reason, Flamingo just doesn't do much for me apart from a few songs - Only the Young, Magdalena, Crossfire. Song for song, I think The Desired Effect is miles above Flamingo.

Efus likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

My Jessica turns out to be "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine". It seems this is the first part of a murder trilogy. Good concept for a band named The Killers. But apparently the other songs are on different albums.

7. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like they have (or at least rent) their own jet for tours:
    [​IMG]

8. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Oh really? Can't imagine Radiohead without Greenwood bros or The National without their twins or...etc. I mean bands which a real creative units.

9. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

...and what part of "MOST" did you fail to understand?

10. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

They were only band to sell out Hyde Park this year. Phil Collins, Tom Petty, Bieber didn't. And every date in the UK sold out within an hour. That's hardly five years ago.

Also. Ditch Brandon and 98% of fan base goes with him.

G00dVibrations and pghmusiclover like this.
  11. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

I'm not very familiar with the other members solo stuff, but to complete the list:

2011: Another Life (Mark Stoermer solo)
    2011: Big Talk (Big Talk (feat. Ronnie Vannucci Jr.) album)
    2015: Straight In No Kissin' (Big Talk album)
    2016: Dark Arts (Mark Stoermer solo)

I'm not sure about Stoermer's stuff, but it appears Big Talk also toured to support those albums.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

So if I am understanding this correctly, they only made 4 albums and all 4 went to #1 in the UK?
    They might be Britain's favorite US band.

13. G00dVibrations

Both Flowers' solo albums went to number one as well. And I don't think "Mr Brightside" has left the Top 100 singles chart since its release in 2004.

14. raphph

At the Hyde Park gig - Brandon took the time to even acknowledge how much the UK loves him...
    (my photo below)

[​IMG]

15. raphph

Got my Brixton tickets - will be fourth time in four months (Glastonbury / Hyde Park / The O2)

16. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

17. G00dVibrations

Very odd. By the looks he has two writing credits (three if you count the song on the Deluxe version) on the album. I've only heard "The Man" so far, as I tend to just wait for albums to come out rather than keep track of the singles, but that does basically sound like it could be on Brandon's solo album - but as we've established, in the UK especially, The Killers is a much stronger brand than Brandon himself.

Could we be seeing a gradual shift towards a one person band, such as Panic! At The Disco (Brendan Urie is literally the only band member now) or something like Paramore where it basically becomes front(wo)man and whichever sideplayers are still involved at the time.

18. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I'm glad I got to see the original Killers live in concert.

19. G00dVibrations

To add to the oddity, Mark Stoermer (bassist, sitting out tour) has writing credits on all but one song, plays bass on every song and guitar on some as well. He also appears in every group picture in the booklet (all 6 of them).

Meanwhile Dave Keuning (guitar, sitting out tour) has writing credits on 1 song, guitar credit on 4 songs, doesn't appear in any pictures in the whole album booklet.

So even within the band it doesn't seem to be as simple as "touring" and "not touring".

20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

This is from Philly this weekend. That’s my former music student and sometimes collaborator they brought onstage to play drums.

21. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

A few friends were there and said that your student/collaborator killed it. He was a highlight for them

The low light, as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, was all the drunken Eagles fans spilling in from across the street chanting E-A-G-L-E-S every other minute

tonewheeltom likes this.
  22. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I saw the SLC show, Tuesday Feb. 6. I appreciate that the band is trying their best to carry on even though two members refuse to tour, but I will say it definitely has changed their live performances. Both the fill-in guitarist and bassist seemed very competent, but definitely play with a different style/feel from the actual band members they are replacing. I especially notice the difference in the rhythmic feel of the bass playing, but that is not surprising - I've noticed that I am very sensitive about they way different people play bass and I really love the way Mark Stoermer plays. It didn't ruin the show for me (though the bad sound of the arena they played in almost did), but it definitely detracted. If they have to find a fill-in bass player, some others I know who's playing I really like are Nikolai Fraiture of The Strokes, Michele Stodart of the Magic Numbers, and Carlos D, formerly of Interpol. Perhaps they could see if any of them are available:)

Binni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.