Hall and Oates Sue Granola Maker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I was just going to ask about that. I was under the impression Ben and Jerry's got permission but I wasn't sure...

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

On a plus note I just found Big Bam Boom in the cereal aisle of Safeway, sorry, I mean Value Village. $2 win!!

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've seen it at the local natural market. I didn't make the connection until I read the article and I'm a H&O fan.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't recall people ridiculing Hall & Oates for years as you say. Why would that be? They made great pop records.

spanky1 likes this.
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Nice try!
    But they can't, it got trashed and then burned in 1983.
    That album became a million seller, but it took about 20 years. It was one of their best.

6. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

7. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

Most of the crud has come John's way, as he's been (unfairly) labeled as a talentless hanger-on. But they have been slagged, relentlessly. Rolling Stone: "Hall & Oates are the best-selling musical duo of all-time with a staggering number of monster hits, but the rock establishment has never taken them quite as seriously as the huge fan base."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20131216#ixzz3TeObkMYX

The Oregonian: "Even their critical standing, once sullied by an association with the cheesier aspects of '80s pop, has been revived by a new generation of indie artists who grew up revering Daryl Hall's awesome voice and the group's unique blend of blue-eyed Philadelphia soul, New Wave rhythms and tastefully slick rock."
    and this - http://www.gutfiremagazine.com/?p=287

Don't disagree with you at all - the music is great, especially the overlooked late 70s stuff. Love 'em all.

heatherly likes this.
  8. mds

mds Forum Resident

Fighting this even if they don't win, brings their name back, big free promotion for them. Look this thread is already three pages deep. I see and album coming :goodie:

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I'm pretty sure that Taylor Swift has the copyright on "Henley is a dick"...

Maybe Hall and Oates will settle out of court if the cereal makers agree to license a greatest hits CD and include it in every box.

10. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

When people take humor literally

drasil and heatherly like this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

There is this place by my house:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now this I could see getting upset about -someone please call Matt Groening immediately!

[​IMG]
    But Haulin' Oats fer crying out loud...what a Maneater, oh yea...didn't they make enough selling the rights to that one for some junk product or something?
    At least the small batch oat people are probably making something good -Ben & Jerry's should step in and feature a flavor using their product, maybe call it 'Has Been Crooner's Lawsuit' with organic granola chunks in sourpuss flavored gelato.
    Alas the 'Haulin' Oats' is trademarked -so maybe they could all get in on a B&J flavor with that as a title and the granola from those people as an ingredient with the sub title: 'Organic granola settled out of court for extra flavor'...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

How was it that there was never a lawsuit between Sting the singer and Sting the pro wrestler? Or did I just miss it?

heatherly likes this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Nice call with this show. John Oats even appeared on it. Garfunkel did not respond to requests to be on it.

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

A-HA!

15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I saw this place in the Downtown East Side of Vancouver last Saturday.
    [​IMG]

16. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

There's some other article relating to this with more information; basically H&O have a licensing agreement with some company in Tennessee who make the same thing with the same name - that is the basis of the suit, not just H&O being dicks.

17. Early Bird Foods should change the product name to Howlin' Oats. That would be coooler anyway.

ubiknik likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Good thing they didn't trademark 'H2O' when they had the chance. Lack of foresight.

'Haulin' Oats' is a pretty dumb name anyways, imo, and not worth fighting for. The 'genius' that came up with that name isn't.

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Nice! I'm sure U2 don't care, I'm also pretty sure Groening doesn't care about some Dive bar in Chicago,
    especially considering how hard it is to spot from atop that large pile of cash. The universal appeal of just one word from that show has probably generated several million $ many times over...:

20. Oatsdad

I dunno - if they know about it, I can't believe Fox's lawyers haven't gone after "Moe's Tavern". Unless the place worked out a deal, that's rampant copyright infringement, though apparently they tried to change some of the art to make it less obvious:

[​IMG]

Whatever one thinks of the "Haulin' Oats" thing, the people who own "Moe's Tavern" really should be sued. Some of that art really makes it look like it's a place authorized by/affiliated with "The Simpsons"...

heatherly likes this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Instead of suing, Hall and Oates went into an agreement with the TN company and licensed the name "Haulin' Oates" back to the TN company. So Hall and Oates owns the "Haulin' Oates" name and this new company selling "Haulin' Oates" granola is clearly violating their trademark.

drasil likes this.
  22. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Your local utilities commission is next on their list.
    [​IMG]

LaserKen likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

But it's not "Haulin' Oates" - that'd be really obvious. It's "Haulin' Oats" and the absence of the "E" does make a difference, IMO...

24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That's what I figured, no way would Fox allow that without being licensed. I'm assuming there is a license in place from this 2011 article and I'm surprised a license was granted at all.

Chicago’s Moe’s Tavern goes Simpsons free—sorta
    Twentieth Century Fox sends a cease-and-desist order to the Avondale bar.

Last September, when Maureen “Moe” Clancy was preparing to open her first bar, it was only fitting that she took her brother’s suggestion to go with the name Moe’s Tavern (2937 N Milwaukee Ave, 773-227-2937) and adopt a Simpsons motif. The 49-year-old hired local artist Elke Claus to paint the venerable yellow cartoon characters on the walls; she installed an awning with Moe Szyslak’s head emblazoned on it; and she penned a cocktail menu featuring $1 mugs of Duff (Blatz), Nuclear Power Plant Punch and, of course, the Flaming Moe—a mash-up of liquors served ablaze in a shot glass. On November 30, Clancy received a three-page cease-and-desist order from Twentieth Century Fox detailing the copyright infringement. “I didn’t see why they would care,” she says. “I could understand if I was running a chain of places. I’m just a little neighborhood tavern trying to get started.” Clancy has since scrapped the theme menu and rehired Claus to modify her original paintings. “Elke was like, ‘What do you have in mind?’ ” Clancy says. “I said, ‘I dunno—different hair, nose, eyes.’ ” Hilariously, the world’s most recognizable TV ’toons have gone incognito.

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/chicagos-moes-tavern-goes-simpsons-freesorta

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

George Lucas is well known for keeping close tabs on his trademarks. I guarantee his lawyers visited that establishment very quickly.

Bands are not immune... Eisley was originally Mos Eisley before Lucas' lawyers... And of course there's the metal bands Vader, Dagoba, and Bobaflex. (Note the spellings...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.