Hall & Oates Look Up At--"MARIGOLD SKY" poll:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Marigold Sky

[​IMG]

Got this cd spinning and like totally digging this 1997 H&O album.
    Not a bad album, smooth easy listening. My standout tracks, Romeo Is Bleeding, Marigold Sky, Throw The Roses Away and Time Won't Pass Me By. Like them all.

An underappreciated 1990's gem.
    I remember when this album came out I hadn't paid much attention to it in 1997. Twenty years later I find myself enjoying it. A little 1970's, 1980's blended in with a 1990's style vibe.

WIKIPEDIA:

Studio album by Hall & Oates
    Released
    September 17, 1997
    Genre Pop, rock, soul
    Length 57:40
    Label Push Records
    Producer Daryl Hall (also executive producer), John Oates, David Bellochio, Peter Moshay

Marigold Sky is the fifteenth studio album by Hall & Oates, released in 1997 on Push Records. It would be their last album of new material until 2003's Do It for Love.

Personnel:

• David Bellochio: keyboards, percussion programming, acoustic guitar (3, 4)
      • Daryl Hall: vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar (1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 10), electric guitar (4, 8, 10, 11), percussion programming (11)
      • Peter Moshay: percussion (10)
      • Paul Pesco: electric guitar (2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12)
      • Ken Sebesky: acoustic guitar (1), electric guitar (1, 3, 4, 9)
      • Tom "T-Bone" Wolk: bass guitar (2-4, 6-9, 12), electric guitar (3, 6, 8), acoustic guitar (5)
    Hall & Oates - Marigold Sky (1997): Hall & Oates - Marigold Sky (1997) - YouTube

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Never heard this one, I'll Tube it. Thanks for shining a light. :righton:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

:agree:

Anytime.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It was an under-the-radar album. Nevertheless it was a solid effort. There was some promotional fanfare, but H&O had not yet had its full commercial resurgence circa 1997, and it isn't as if Push Records had the budget to fully market and promote the album the way a major label could have during that era. I remember enjoying seeing them recommitted to working again.

5. downer

downer Senior Member

Haven't played it for over 10 years, will give it a spin again this week

6. porpoise mouth

porpoise mouth Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the album but I like it. Romeo Is Bleeding is my favorite track.....ahem, for obvious reasons (see my avatar).

7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Terrific record. A return to form, IMHO.

8. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Great album. Didn't do much, but glad they had a bigger "comeback" with Do It for Love a few years later. I was surprised that this album was not acknowledged or included in the Do What You Want Be What You Are box set....Beauty on a Backstreet was not acknowledged as well, but they all but disowned that album.

9. The title track is one of their very best. I'd include it on a 1 CD compilation.

10. downer

downer Senior Member

Just finishing my listen now - great album, forgot how much I enjoyed it - except for the way-too-obvious 'I Can't Go For That' clone 'Hold Onto Yourself' :)

11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Record label issues might have prevented their inclusion.

12. blueslover99

I agree that Marigold Sky may have been a label issue, but Beauty... was on RCA. Oates talked about it's exclusion on a morning talk show if I remember correctly. Either way I love both albums!

13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I like the album a lot...but I have to say the guitar on "Romeo" has always irritated me...

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love this tune.

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The Sky Is Falling
    Throw The The Roses Away
    I Don't Think So
    Time Won't Pass Me By

Darryl

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Spinning this CD again now. Some great 90's H & O.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

What a great largely forgotten H&O album- I am not even sure any tracks were on their long overdue "Do What You Want" box set a few years ago????

Romeo is Bleeding is maybe the best H&O album opener ever!

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love this tune live or studio.

20. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

The sound quality on this wasn't great IMO. Quite dull and pinched. Almost sounds like an MP3, at least on the European pressing. Has anyone compared mastering on different copies from different countries? Was ours just crap?

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Do you recall why they dislike Beauty? It's one of my faves, especially as a transition to Red Ledge.

22. blueslover99

It had to do with the breakdown of their relationship with the producer Chris Bond.

23. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Last week I was re-listening to this album and songs from the era - "Hall and Oates go independent!". I was reminded of my impression of it 20 years ago. After a month of listening to it, off and on, I realized Marigold Sky is designed as a "new" greatest hits album. Most of the songs are either rewrites of or modeled on their more famous tracks:

Romeo Is Bleeding - Say It Isn't So
    Hold On To Yourself - I Can't Go For That
    Time Won't Pass Me By - Back Together Again/Starting All Over Again
    etc., etc.

I love the song Marigold Sky, and a few other tracks - Romeo Is Bleeding, The Sky Is Falling, I Don't Think So - but the album is too mellow. But despite it's commercial adult contemporary vibe, Arista refused to release it. Weird.

24. Nately120

Nately120 Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of H&O and this is pretty much the last album I picked up from their discography (actually...yes, the dead last). I haven't given it much of a chance, but it really seems like a Darryl Hall solo project that they tacked John Oates onto in order to get more name recognition. That doesn't atomically make it bad, but it does but a bit of a cynical spin on it. Just my take.

25. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Romeo Is Bleeding is basically Say It Isn't So, Part 2, let's face it.

But yeah, it's the standout track on this album. Annoyingly, the Europe CD release of this album cuts off the first two or so seconds of this song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.