Hall & Oates, Tears for Fears Plot Joint North American Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX Thread Starter

2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Good Bill but Hall & Oates have really disappointed me the last few times I saw them. Short sets and no passion except from the backing band. Darryl displays none of the fire that makes his TV show so great. I swore I was done seeing them but I may cave here.....

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quicken loans arena in cleveland is quite large (cavs arena).......i will be surprised to see how many tickets they sell for this.

PsychedelicWheelz and J_D__ like this.
  4. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

I got free tickets to see Hall & Oates last year because of the Ticketmaster settlement, but when the day arrived to go, we were kinda on the fence about it, just because of other stuff going on. So I looked up their recent setlists to see if that would sway me one way or the other, and I was shocked at how short their setlist was.
    So we didn't go, but later regretted it, because Chubby Checker was brought onstage at the show. But with TFF on the bill this time, I'm in.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I won't! I'm with you: H&O used to be really good live, and I loved the shows I saw in the 80s.

But the 2 or 3 21st century shows I've seen have been lackluster at best. Not interested in seeing them on their own, much less with another band in a massive arena...

Yeah, I'm surprised by the venue size as well. Neither H&O nor TFF seem to be big draws, so I'm not sure how much of a difference the double bill will make.

I assumed they'd be playing medium-sized sheds, not basketball arenas!

6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Strange, I saw H&O in 2013 and thought it was fantastic. Not a short set list either but there was no opening act. Would see them again if given the chance.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, interesting.
    Thanks for sharing that. I, too, watch the show and think how charged up he is................

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They're doing Boston Garden, which they haven't done since the very height of their career. Seems ambitious but there ya go.

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Hope this means a new TFF album release in the very near future ...

Purple, JulesRules, RickH and 5 others like this.
  10. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

It would be fun to see these two acts. I've always enjoyed Live at Daryl's House. It's hard to imagine he doesn't have the passion for performing with Oates. His show is top-notch, IMO. Maybe the whole Hall and Oates "hits machine live" is just getting boring for him after 4+ decades. So I guess we'll see on this one! :)

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Kind of a weird double bill isn't it? Beyond both being successful in the 1980s, they don't have much in common.

It's like, I don't know... Duran Duran going on tour with Huey Lewis.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, definitely ambitious. I know H&O have gotten a bit of a resurgence lately, but 20,000-seat arenas still seems like a stretch, even with TFF on the bill as well.

Hope they do well, but have a feeling there will be lots of discounted tickets for these shows...

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

That tour was the final run of dates by Sharon Jones.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And also featured Trombone SHorty. One heck of a triple bill.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  15. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I am a fan of both bands, and saw H&O around 2012-2013; they seemed to be enjoying themselves and gave a good performance, and the audience vibe was great. I'd enjoy seeing them again, but it's not essential.

TFF however is one of those bands (like Husker Du or The Smiths) that I thought would NEVER reunite, so I feel a somewhat urgent need to strike while the iron is hot and see them live.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You know, TFF reunited in 2004 and have played shows semi-regularly since....

I'm not a Hall & Oates fan especially but I've ended up seeing them twice in the last few years, at Vancouver's version of a state fair, and the problem there is the usual one for veteran acts... Daryl's voice is not what it was.

Bernard hansen and JulesRules like this.
  17. My wife would LOVE this double-billing. We've never seen either band, and I've always wanted to see TFF.

The DC stop is about a block from where I work (and a 15 minute walk from where my wife works) -- and on a Monday night.

VERY tempting.

JulesRules, Tree of Life and rbichamp like this.
  18. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

If I were that close, I'd definitely do it. I echo the venue surprise ... saw TFF in Richmond in 2010 at the National, which holds about 1550. Hall & Oates played our little amphitheater a few years ago, holds about 6,500. Other than Daryl's show, not really seeing what has happened to double their draw and then some.

But a great bill. Gotta be some sort of "duo of duos" marketing hook in there somewhere. I'll avoid the road trip and put it toward the new TFF and hopefully the Seeds Of Love box.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Playing a terrible venue in South Florida and I believe it's too big for them.

20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Wow....Air Canada Centre in Toronto! Yikes. The shed on the waterfront I could see.

dobyblue and Say It Right like this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I agree -- it seems like a mismatched pairing!

Jet Age Eric and Planbee like this.
  22. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

My first thought when I saw the thread title. The Foreigner/Journey/REO/Styx-type combo tours I get, but not this one.

Jet Age Eric and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Tears for Fears are great live. I was bored out of my mind at the last Hall and Oats Red Rocks show...

JulesRules likes this.
  24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I saw TFF years ago, in a fairly small room (1000? 1500?). Not sold out but a good crowd. Curt's lost a few steps with his vocals but Roland was still in prime form. The set was mostly their 80s prime... Lots from SFTBC and STSOL, not so much The Hurting... I thought it was a pretty great show.

H&O played a few years ago, I knew going in that it was a short set. BUT tickets were cheap, the venue was a small outdoor one (again, only a few thousand), and the weather was gorgeous. We sat on the lawn and enjoyed 75 minutes of H&O, then went home. Obviously I would've preferred a longer set, but it was fine for what it was.

Not sure seeing them together in a massive arena is the way to go, however.

25. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I saw TFF at the 2,200 seat Rocksino last year. If I recall correctly, H&O played the 2,600 seat Akron Civic Theater last time they were in NE Ohio.

I'm puzzled by the booking at The Q as well. The Nautica Pavillion (5,000 capacity) would have been a better choice for venue.

I'll pass this time around since I saw TFF last year and I hate going to concerts in sports arenas.

D-rock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.