Hall of Fame running out of candidates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Prince? Jackson Browne? ZZ Top?

Give me a break, going to the Hall of Fame ahead of the Dave Clark Five? Whoever is running the show - the show is coming up empty!

Not impressed at all!

George

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You're not going to win converts claiming Prince doesn't belong in there . . . His music, from his own cuts to songs he wrote and/or produced for other artists, pretty much defined his era, not to mention the blockbuster movie and music videos. While I can think of a dozen, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with twenty artists I'd put in a R&RHOF ahead of him. 1999, PURPLE RAIN, SIGN O THE TIMES, EMANCIPATION, and his three-disc HITS box make a pretty daunting resume.

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I agree. Prince may have been the best artist during the 80's.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You think the DC5 DO belong in the HOF? I'm no fan of Jackson Browne or ZZ Top, but they're much better candidates than the DC5. And Prince is an absolute no-brainer - I have no clue how anyone could argue he DOESN'T belong.

Personally, I think the weakest inductee this year is... George Harrison. I'm a life-long fan, but there's no way his solo body of work merits induction. He did some nice stuff, but not enough to be considered a HOF artist on his own. (I also think Lennon didn't deserve to go in on his own - only McCartney had a HOF solo career...)

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Hey, Styx was the 1st band to have three or four consecutive platinum albums, but they've never been anyone's darling. Much of AOR will be ignored. Based on success alone and longevity, Journey should be in there.

Personally I'd like to see Styx get in and watch the discomfort on stage with Dennis and Gowan LOL

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Prince is much more deserving than the Dave Clark Five.

7. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Going to need a more persuasive argument, George....

Prince is only 5'2" on a good day, but towers over all pop music.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I don't have a problem with Seger, Jackson Browne, Traffic if only for Steve Winwood, and especially Prince being in the Hall but to have them inducted before Black Sabbath, Patti Smith, and the Stooges among others is pretty strange especially considering how many contemporary bands name-check those people. If it wasn't for Prince I would agree that it seems like an unusually weak year.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, this thread has the potential for some verbal mayhem....:D

First of all, yes, Prince most certainly deserves induction....no if's, and's, or but's.....

Brown and ZZ are definitely borderline....

Thinking of some worthy candidates that might be in some instances borderline, but still, given that Brenda Lee snuck in--nice gal, but only her earliest material would, to me, qualify as R&R--seems these guys'n'gals will deserve the honor someday, too:

Since I haven't checked the honor roll of late, my apologies if anyone snuck in here and I missed their induction:

Moody Blues
    Dave Clark Five
    The Shangri-La's
    Ronettes
    Spaniels
    Flamingos
    Neil Sedaka
    Carla Thomas
    Gary U.S. Bonds

George Goldner

They did let the 4 Seasons in, right? My memory is very fuzzy about the HOF....if I ever get to Cleveland, I'll check it out, I've friends who'd love to give me the proverbial guided tour....at which time I'd pick out those who don't necessarily deserve to be there, while railing about some who do. Typical me....

ED :ed:

10. StyxCollector

Some I'd add (besides Styx of course):

Rush (very deserving ... even just on chops LOL)
    Joe Jackson (complete long shot)
    Genesis
    Peter Gabriel - shoo in at some point
    Phil Collins (solo - can't argue with his 1st 2 albums esp., and every album was a hit thru But Seriously; plus all of his producing in the 80s)
    King Crimson

Just to name a few ...

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You'd really enjoy it Ed. Lot's of stuff you can enjoy just being in the presence of.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Very good suggestions. Problem is Prog rock isn't very hip to the people doing the inducing. :)

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I wonder if Prince will play the music of his commerical heyday at his induction, or the jazzier stuff he's been doing for the past several years?

14. StyxCollector

True ... altho I think Crimson has a legit shot. They are an influence on bands like Tool (who they also toured with), and "In The Court ..." is well regarded.

I didn't include Yes (and I like them) because I just don't think anyone would nominate them.

15. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Disagree strongly. :D

16. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

I have absolutely no qualms about this year's Hall inductees; they're all worthy (... i have recently rediscovered The Dells' "The Love We Had [Stays On My Mind]." unbelievable!!!).

But where's ... ?

Alice Cooper
    KISS
    Rush
    Todd Rundgren
    ABBA (don't laugh)
    Black Sabbath
    Patsy Cline (i know, i know ... she's country)
    Deep Purple
    Neil Diamond
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Genesis
    The Guess Who
    The Hollies
    Hall & Oates
    The Monkees (again, don't laugh)
    Paul Revere & the Raiders ("Hungry" - one of the greatest rock songs ever)
    Frank Sinatra
    T. Rex
    War
    Barry White

i could go on and on and on ... who says the Hall is running out of candidates?!

17. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

How about Pink Floyd? They're more than deserving although we'd probably never get to see Waters and the old gang back together on that ceremonial stage. But it would be nice...and bring Barrett up there too!

BTW Prince is a no-brainer!

18. Gerry Galipault

Don't worry, Pink Floyd's already in. They were inducted in 1996.

As for Prince - he was a shoo-in!!!

19. Gerry Galipault

Don't stop me, I'm on a roll ...

and how about ... ?

Blondie
    Van Halen
    Peter Gabriel
    Dick Dale
    Kraftwerk
    Roxy Music
    Cat Stevens (yeah, i know ...)
    Jethro Tull
    Percy Sledge
    Yes
    Carly Simon

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

How right you are! Nevermind.

I was checking it as you posted...but alas...too late.

Pink Floyd - 1996

21. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Recently he seems to be reconciling himself with his more commercial past - just saw a recent setlist that was very heavy on the Purple Rain material. (And not a bad idea, he really needs to re-engage an audience.) D*mn did he look good on the Grammy's. Good to see him strutting his stuff, singing those particular songs again with one of those wicked axes in his hand...

:)

22. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Van Halen should have been on the ballot. Not sure how they were neglected. I wouldn't be suprised if they intentionally left them off because they couldn't all get along at that time to appear together.

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I think George Harrison deserves to be in the HOF if not only for his first two releases. All Things Must Pass is a masterpiece and Concert for Bangladesh became the blueprint for every benefit concert since. In addition, George's influence on his fellow musicians cannot be overstated. IMHO, there has not been a finer tribute to a performer as that given in The Concert For George. :righton:

24. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

Cat Stevens should have been inducted before Jackson Browne, IMHO.

25. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Soon you'll attain the stability you strive for...........in the only way that it's granted.......in a place among the fossils of our time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.