Hall of Fame running out of candidates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

As well as Gloria Stavers in the non-performing category.

2. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

KISS
    BRIAN WILSON
    Monkees
    Dave Clark Five
    Small Faces
    Zombies (for Odessey... alone)
    Three Dog Night
    The Hollies
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Eddie Cochran (is he in?)
    Gene Vincent ""
    Paul Revere & the Raiders
    the Guess Who
    Van Halen
    Black Sabbath
    Ringo Starr (wouldn't be fair to leave Ringo out)
    Deep Purple
    Nilsson
    Randy Newman
    (If James Taylor/Van Morrison/Joni Mitchell are in,why not?)
    Turtles/Flo & Eddie
    Alice Cooper (original band)
    Cheap Trick

1.This is in no particular order.
    2.I'm sure I'll think of more,right after I hit the button.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Re: Pete T: One great album does not make one a great solo act. I've never listened to all of "Empty Glass", but even if it's amazing, the rest of Pete's solo career's still been generally unmemorable. If Pete T gets into the HOF due to one great album, then Denny McClain should be in the baseball HOF for his 30-win season, and Roger Maris should be there for 61 home runs.

The only one-album wonders I'd induct are the Sex Pistols, just because it was such an important album. "Empty Glass"? Probably a nice record, but not exactly a landmark like "Bollocks"...

Re: Pete G: the R&RHOF doesn't time inductions to connect to the act in question's first good album. It's 25 years from their first release PERIOD. As such, he's been eligible the last couple of years - there's no timing attached to any specific release...

4. Oatsdad

I think one can argue that the ESB have been important enough to deserve inclusion. They SHOULDN'T be attached specifically to Bruce - I don't like the fact that Elvis C. is tied to the Attractions, as I also think they should be separate. The HOF has a "sidemen" category that I think fits the ESB and the Attractions - they should be inducted that way...

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Save that quote and insert Madonna in a few years!

6. Oatsdad

Totally agreed.

Also totally agreed. If George were still alive and healthy, he'd not be in the HOF as a solo artist. That may sound mean-spirited, but I firmly believe it. I love the man's work - heck, I own all his solo albums despite their often mediocre status - but there's no way he should be in the HOF on his own. As I mentioned earlier, remove sentimentality from the equation and McCartney's the only ex-Beatle with an HOF caliber career; one can make a stronger case for Lennon than for Harrison, but he still doesn't belong. You can't ever remove the Beatle thing from the equation, but if you try, John and George just don't fit...

I agree, with at least one notable exception: the Sex Pistols. But I already ranted about that above...

As I mention above, I think EC should be in on his own and the Attractions should get their own entry. However, what's done is done, so I don't think they should re-induct EC separately - that'd be crazy.

7. Oatsdad

Huh? What does that mean?

BTW, if Madonna doesn't make it into the HOF first ballot - which should be 2008, I guess - I'll eat a bug. Absolutely no way they don't put her in immediately - absolutely no way she doesn't DESERVE to be in the HOF immediately...

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Gene Vincent has been inducted in the Hall of Fame

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I mean he'll be saying the same thing when she gets in......which she will.....

Where the hell is Deep Purple, anyway?

10. BradOlson

Eddie Cochran is in the Hall of Fame as well

11. BradOlson

Jack Scott needs to be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the same with Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Diamond, John Denver, Pete Seeger as an early influence

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chicago, the original lineup (1969-1977) is overdue. It is one of the most underrated supergroups of all time.

The original lineup includes:

Terry Kath (guitar/vocals)
    Robert Lamm (keyboards/vocals)
    James Pankow (trombone)
    Lee Loughnane (trumpet/flugelhorn)
    Walter Parazaider (woodwinds)
    Danny Seraphine (drums)
    Peter Cetera (bass/vocals)

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I've been wondering for the last few years: why are Brenda Lee and Gene Pitney in the HOF. I have nothing against their music but they didn't really strike me as HOF material. Am I missing something? Did I have to "be there" at the time they were popular?

14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I think because Brenda's "Rockin around the xmas tree" is such a perenial favorite and for Gene, not just for his records, but his songwriting (He's a Rebel) among others.

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

There have been some interesting posts in this thread. Rather than add to the list of ins and outs I'm just gonna say that a trip to The Rock Hall is a day very well spent.
    Twice I have gotten tickets to a show at Gund Arena, hopped a plane to Cleveland, had dinner at The Flats then spent the following day at The Rock Hall, then did dinner and made the show. Once you get downtown you can do the whole thing on foot if it's nice out and your hotel is down that way.

The Rock Hall is a blast. You will see stuff there that will send chills up your spine. I saw the lyrics to the song "Angel" in Jimi Hendrix's own handwriting on a piece of stationary from an LA hotel. Supposedly he woke up from a dream, grabbed the pad and started writing.

I saw Claptons psychedelic painted Gibson SG from his Cream days there. I saw Neil Pearts drum kit. John Cipollina's stage set up with the horns on the amp and everything. There was a note there from a refridgerator from Bruce Springsteen telling the guys in the band not to eat his food when they were all crashing in the same beach house. Rejection slips from assorted labels telling Paul Hewson why his band U2 was not going to get signed. A letter from Jeff Buckley to a fan that included a passage about his father Tim Buckley.

There are movies there and clips from past induction ceremonies. The one where Paul McCartney inducted John Lennon sent shivers through my body.

If anyone is interested I have a card somewhere from an Italian restaurant in Cleveland that served us one of the three best meals I have ever had in my life when we went up there last year to see Springsteen. The food alone was worth the trip.

Like Ian Hunter says: Cleveland Rocks. Make the trip if you have not been there.
    You will thank me.
    Cheers-
    Norm

16. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I hate the HOF's habit of inducting people right after they die. They did it to Zappa, and they'll probably do it to Beefheart (who *really* deserves to be in there in some capacity) whenever he croaks...which, unfortunately, seems like it could be any day now (if JCB is to be believed).

Is Roxy Music in the hall?

-D

17. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

guard your hate like nukes; the hall's habit deserves something different.
    Don deserves something different as well. ;)

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

I really wish the Rock Hall was more selective - maybe not as hard to get into as, say, Cooperstown, but it seems much too easy for anyone who had even a moderately successful career to get inducted. Would George ever have gotten in on his own, if he wasn't a member of The Beatles?

19. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

What the Rock Hall should do is shed its bias against heavy metal and prog rock bands. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The Hall of Fame is just a promotion tool for the music industry.

Like the Grammys.

The more the inductees, the better. :D

21. Oatsdad

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.