Hallmark Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nopedals, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Wikipedia:

The longest-running primetime series in the history of television, it first aired in 1951 and continues into the present day. From 1954 onward, all of its productions have been broadcast in color.... The Hall of Fame films have an above average budget and production values nearing that of a feature film.... Only a small number of Hallmark Hall of Fame episodes have been released on VHS and DVD.... Hallmark Hall of Fame division does not own most of the films from the series from 1951 to the 1970s. Hallmark Channel since 1999 has attempted to gain rights to these movies.
    I remember this show as being a big deal in the 1960s, especially if you had a color TV. As noted above, episodes are rarely seen today. Lots of historical dramas, musicals, and Shakespeare in the first couple of decades:

List of Hallmark Hall of Fame episodes - Wikipedia

Last night I was browsing Amazon Prime, and clicked on Kiss Me Kate, expecting to see the 1953 movie, but it was a 1958 Hallmark Hall of Fame episode, a TV production of the original stage play. No big stars (Harvey Lembeck and Jack Klugman in bit parts). Also, in black and white, not color. It was late, so I only watched the first Act, but thought it was terrific, and will watch the rest tonight.

I wonder how many of these will ever be available.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.