Hallograph Soundfield Optimizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seagoat, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat New Member Thread Starter

I purchased a pair of Hallographs within 10 seconds of putting them in a position about one foot to the outside and two feet to the rear of each of my Legacy Focus Speakers. These are fantastic room defect correction devices, truly sound field optimizers.

My room is 25' X 21' with the speakers six feet in front of the rear long walls and six feet apart. I have 2.5 walls lined with built-in wood LP storage cases for 12,000 LPs and 5,000 78s, two pair of stacked metal CD storage drawers (4500), two 4X4 side wood casement multi-pane glass windows and a 3.8" X 8' rear window (same type), rear 5' X 8' equipment closet (open) and 8' to 12' vaulted ceiling. The walls are 8" to 12" thick with dual 5/8" drywall, 5" steel rebar reinforced slab floors and drywall ceiling (not good-highly reverberant). This room has a slap echo and over reinforces bass frequencies. There are lots of objects in the room.

I have Grover electronics and ICs, moderately high end front end equipment. The sound has always been bass heavy, slightly boomy (dependent on music), always located between the speakers or at the speaker.

The Hallographs immediately tightened the bass, providing a focused sound, ameliorating the boom and providing a punch instead. The bass harmonics opened up. The highs are more open and the mids have at least twice the resolution. Upon further adjustment by 1/8" to 1/4" swivel on the top, I was able to lock in the amount of openness (side to side width) and fullness (depth). Recordings vary so that occasionally I'll tweak the swivel 1/4" for more openness or more depth.

I also tried a second pair placed at mid-room with the array facing the speakers. This was too much (as in too much fun)! The speaker sound truly overcame the room artifacts and delivered a you are there experience. Placing the second pair along the rear wall (listening area) did not provide much improvement. I am hoping to purchase the second pair. I previously used four Room Tunes. They aren't worth much now (to me) since I installed the Hallographs.

The Hallographs are equivalent of doubling or tripling the speaker quality, or of installing Grover ICs (well, not quite that much of an improvement, his ICs are spectacular). Try them for free and see if you can give them back after 5 or 10 seconds of listening. They are that good. They are also slight in appearance and don't require me to alter my room contents, design or place large, cumbersome wall treatments. Hallographs to the home listening room is comparable to the finest sound recording studio designs (I have appraised nearly 20 professional sound studios in Southern California-it's my job).

This is only the second audio product I am endorsing, the other being Grover's equipment, ICs and speaker wire. I am doing this as a service to audiophiles and music lovers (they can be one and the same). There are other products that I like for which I will have to start a new forum. I am not in the audio or music business and do not receive compensation in any way. Try it, you'll like it. Stephen

P.S. I really would like several more pairs, one for my living room system which has Legacy Sig IIIs and one for the bedroom which has Dynaco A35s.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sounds interesting! Do you have a link?

3. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks, John! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.