Halloween

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jdrueke, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man Thread Starter

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hmm. As far as I can tell, Anchor Bay has released 4 different versions of the film prior to this one.

There was the infamous original non-anamorphic release with a terrible transfer featuring tons of video compression artifacts. - Do not buy:[​IMG]

There was the 2-disc limited edition where disc one had THX certified widescreen and pan & scan transfers, a 5.1 stereo remix soundtrack, the original mono soundtrack, a new half-hour documentary and sundry trailers. Disc two had a widescreen transfer of the extended "television version" featuring additional scenes shot around the time of the Halloween 2 production:[​IMG]

There were individual editions of both discs from the limited edition:[​IMG][​IMG]

..and now there is this new 25th "Anniversary" edition, which includes the audio commentary from the old Criterion laserdisc edition, a new 90 minute documentary, and extras such as featurettes, trailers, and sundry other gew-gaws. It does not include any of the television footage or the earlier documentary. The transfer is apparently very clean, but has noticeably different color timing than previous versions: [​IMG]

I'm sticking with my LE since I have the Criterion commentary on laserdisc.

Regards,

3. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out on ebay for 2-disker, but this new version doesn't sound bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.