Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I like the retro look of the poster.

I'm in for this one. Perhaps on May 25th but if not, definitely sometime over the holiday weekend. The second trailer was certainly compelling enough. What I'm not expecting is to rank this movie with the trilogies. I simply want to be entertained.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've got mixed thoughts on this judging by the footage and trailers I've seen, but I'll certainly see it in theaters. Heck, maybe even opening weekend if I'm not too busy.

I've enjoyed all of the "new" SW movies, although admittedly I've soured on them a little after seeing TLJ a couple times. but they haven't struck out with me yet!

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't even think they have future cameos in mind when they sign these actors up for three films. I think it's just the standard thing they do just to have the option to do something else with them.

They probably have no intention of doing more "Solo" films. But if "Solo" surprisingly outgrosses "The Last Jedi" or something, then all of a sudden they'll probably start pounding out some sort of sequel, in which case whomever *didn't* nail the actor down for a three-picture deal at the outset would be fired.

Same with Felicity Jones and "Rogue One." The film did well at the box office. But even considering the ending of the film, I'm guessing had she, say, won an Oscar for the film or something, they would have probably considered some sort of prequel-to-the-prequel.

Jim B. and sunspot42 like this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I’m sure they have every intention of making more Solo films if this one works. Why wouldn’t they?

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm telling you, IG-88 is a totally untapped well of stories! He should be Han Solo's reoccurring nemesis in every film!

fuzzface and ianuaditis like this.
  6. marblesmike

I remember back in the 90s in the Expanded Universe there were a couple anthologies that were called something like "Tales from Jabba's Palace" and "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" which I enjoyed at the time. I know the EU is no longer canon, but even if they used those books for inspiration they could get some good content for future movies/shows.

Rhett, Rubber65 and ianuaditis like this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I remember reading "Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina", which basically had a back story for a bunch of those characters we see in the Cantina from the first movie. Perhaps that'll be how this new SOLO movie ends, with him and Chewie walking in and sitting down.

marblesmike likes this.
  8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I think there is more time between the events and this film and episode IV.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They've been doing a lot of that, especially for stuff that happened before the OT and doesn't explicitly contradict events in the new films. The authors of a lot of those no-longer-canon books are still writing for Star Wars, and its handled differently now, in that whatever they write now (book, film, TV, comic) is canon (as opposed to the various levels of film, tv, EU, etc. that used to exist.) So they have a chance to get their old ideas enshrined in the Disney canon if they write them into new projects.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think you're probably right. But I think those 'options' are with guest appearances in mind to some extent. So if Del Toro did make his Jabba trilogy they could pop the same actor in for a cameo.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Because there are other stories to tell and maybe they think one is enough and even if it did do well it might be pushing it to generate another, presuming this one will cover the important aspects of Solo 'lore'.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pass on this.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Based on the Solo advert I saw on TV tonight during the Knights/Sharks game I'm inclined to agree. I may not even download a crappy cam version for free...

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Really tacky.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I always reserve judgement until I have actually seen the film. Trailers are not reliable.

16. marblesmike

Yup! Heck, look at the trailers for TLJ! :p

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Exactly. The trailer was so-so, didn't really give any indication of how great the film was.

18. marblesmike

Disagreed, I thought the trailer made it look better (as trailers usually do), but this is a topic for another thread.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Stormrider77 and Encuentro like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can't believe all this hate for a Star Wars movie. I thought fans by now would be putting frames from the trailer under an electron microscope, looking for clues to how Han Solo takes his coffee.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

23. I always thought they should do a film on the bounty hunters in general.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The Vader Years coming soon...:D;)

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wait a minute. I saw those. They sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.