Hana cartridges with rega arms...correct shim height

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tadelli, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tadelli

Tadelli Member Thread Starter

I have a Systemdek 11X with an older Rega rb300. Currently using a Dynavector 10x5 with 2 2mm shims.
    Just picked up a Hana sl and am wondering since it is a shibata cartridge, what is the optimal shim height?

Thanks!

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

How about a Pete Wriggle VTA on the fly? A Hana SL is next on my upgrade list and I plan to do the Wriggle mod on my P25 at that time.

3. ClarkFan

ClarkFan New Member

Not directly comparable to your case, but putting a Hana cartridge on my P25 required 3mm of shims vs. none with a standard Rega cartridge. What I don't know is how the Dynavector compares in height with a Rega cartridge.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It looks from the pictures like the Pete Riggle device would lift the tonearm too high to be used on a Rega turntable with a Rega platter. Have you asked them about it?

[​IMG]

5. ClarkFan

ClarkFan New Member

Also worth checking to see if it needs a larger hole in the plinth for mounting. Probably also needs a second hole for the front post. You'd have to decide if that is something you want to tackle. AFAIK the Origin Live VTA is the only one that can use the original Rega mounting hole. The Michell one requires a hole about 5mm larger.

6. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I agree it looks like it wouldn't work. I emailed them to find out. Interestingly there are no photos on their site of a Rega table installation, but one review stated they had a P25 table so I'll find out. I do know the table base requires modification but they provide guides for drilling. That part would be pretty straightforward.

7. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I replaced Rega shims on my P25 with the VTA from Riggle and had no problems mounting my Glider SL on it. Adjusting VTA for the sweet spot is a lot easier now, not that I futz with it much as most of my LPs are 180-200 gm now.

8. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Any chance you can post a pic of the install? It just seems that anything that initially raises the tonearm at all would be too tall, but it looks like an excellent product at a reasonable price. An upgrade I'm definitely interested in.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the hana cart appears to be 16mm from stylus tip to mounting surface. rega cartridges are 14mm. use a 4mm spacer nominal assuming they aren't to picky on VTA

dbsea likes this.
  10. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

11. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

The RB 600 arm on the P25 has a threaded nut mounting not the three point of the later arms. This Riggle model works fine. The hardest part is drilling out the plinth hole to make it larger.
    I put a glued wooden plug in the plinth hole and drilled it out fresh on a drill press to get the geometry correct. The VTA adjusts up by 1-1.5" depending on where it sits. Mine is up 1/8" for the Glider.
    Used a Rega alignment grid to sight the horizontal VTA adjustment and then adjusted by ear. Once set, don't move it unnecessarily or you will go nuts and end up at your original setting anyway.
    The Riggle decouples the arm from the plinth and cleans up the sound. Sorry for the picture resolution but I've never done this before. Good luck.
    I also did the Origin Live re-wire and tried felt, leather, StatMat, Funk Firm, RingMat , no mat (on acrylic platter) until landing with the Origin Live mat which was, of course, the cheapest. YMMV.
    Also changed out the plastic pulley for stainless steel, the plastic subplatter for aluminum and used the new upgrade white Rega belt. I've nothing left to do except win the lottery and buy a P10.
    Jim

12. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Thanks for the photo, that's what I thought it would look like and indeed raises the arm by the minimum height of the device. My arm is level now with my DL110, and the arm would be angled down if I installed this. I don't know the height of the Hana compared to the Denon though.

13. Tadelli

Tadelli Member Thread Starter

I am using 2 2mm spacers. Sounds good but it appears surface noise i.e. pops and ticks on some records are more noticeable which is strange as I have read how quiet this cartridge is in the groove. Perhaps my VTA is too high?

14. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Audiomods Arm?

15. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I wanted to bump this thread to see if there were any late-model Rega owners out there with updated opinions on the optimal shim height for the Hana. I have a Hana SH en route that I'll install on a 2016 Planar 2. I already have 2mm of shim on the table for my 2M Blue, but wondering if folks agree that 4mm is a better height for the Hana. Thanks!

16. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

I'm using 3.5 mm of shims with a Hana SH with 2.10 grams of VTF. It's magical. 2mm was ok but didn't quite suffice.

17. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

My Hana SH picks up more tics at the start of and the very end of some, but not all records. For the most part it's a quiet cartridge and fairly smooth but, now that Hana has come out with a microline or microridge stylus and an attached threaded brass headshell weight I wonder if that's supposed to improve quiet tracking?

18. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Thanks--sounds like a winning combo!

19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I believe a Michell VTA arm adjuster and a finger locking nut might be helpful:

VTA Arm Adjuster | Michell Engineering

Finger Locking Nut | Michell Engineering

I'm not sure if these suit your Systemdek but if you find this to be a suitable alternative then write to the Michell people and ask for their advice.

20. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

GyroSE likes this.
  21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Better late than never.... :laugh:

22. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Great recommendation! Shims at ~3.4mm, VTF at 2.05. Didn’t hear a single pop or click on the three discs I spun with it last night. Tracks beautifully. Can’t wait to spend more time listening because — on first impressions — wow..

23. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

That's great. Enjoy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.