Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    sennj likes this.
  2. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Thanks for posting. Looks like the author of the second review actually preferred the Hana EL over the SL version. The Hana SL has a more "sophisticated" (maybe not the best choice of words, but I'll go with it) stylus shape and is quite a bit more expensive than the elliptical-shaped EL--interesting. I just installed the SL on my Rega P5 and I have to say this is a really exceptional cartridge. I played hell installing it (hey, Hana, I'd pay a little extra for a threaded top plate...),but it sure was worth the hassle...
    :love:

willboy likes this.
  3. morris_minor

FWIW you can hear my Hana EL here:

4. morris_minor

5. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I have the Hana EH and am loving it. Absolutely agree about having a threaded top plate. It's not too difficult fitting a non-threaded cartridge if it has a hinged type guard to protect the stylus during installation. The type of stylus guard that Hana uses is pathetic. I tried to keep it in place while installing the cartridge but it fell off when I was trying to fit the second bolt and could easily have damaged the stylus. So I'm thinking that it would have been best for me to have removed the stylus guard before installation. Awesome sounding cartridge though, and I'll certainly be getting another when this one needs replacing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  6. Chazzyman

Chazzyman Active Member

Can the Hana el sound good with 60db at a fixed 100 ohlms

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've got the EH as well. Came "free" with my new table. Honestly... I didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as my AT-150MLX. The new table has removable headshells so I can swap out pretty easily. I only have about 12 hours on the EH right now but even in its current state, I am absolutely stunned at how good it sounds. I was thinking about getting an Art9 but now I kinda want the low output shibata Hana. It just doesn't do anything wrong that I've heard so far, aside from normal break-in stuff.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

How does it sound compared to the AT? Bright, and shiny, or neutral, or even dark?

thick or thin sounding midrange?

Jim in Houston likes this.
  9. toddrhodes

Direct comparison - tamer highs. The 150MLX almost sounds harsh by comparison (granted, it was used when I got it, not sure how much). The bass is what surprises me the most out of the Hana - it's very punchy and detailed where the 150 has no issues with the amount of bass and, frankly, I thought it sounded great. Until I put the Hana on. Now I have the same volume but it almost feels a bit more intense since it's more articulate, if that makes sense.

Midrange? A real toss-up there, I think. Right or wrong, I judge midrange on electric guitar tone on familiar recordings and I have no issue with either one in that department, same for male vocals. I honestly don't listen to much music with superb female vocal recording so I can't comment there. If anything, midrange presence is better on the Hana based on the fact the bass doesn't quite seem as colored and, thus, muddying of midrange.

Both carts are dynamic and track very well though the 150 is a legendary tracker, not sure if the Hana is quite that good there but, then, I don't know that I have any material that requires incredible tracking so that's not really a "win" for me.

I do feel like the Hana has a bit of a deeper soundstage, or it may just be that instruments are a little more focused with it than with the 150 such that it provides a bit more of a full illusion to my brain.

Either way, I love the 150 and had no presumptions the Hana would sound "better" to me. But, it does.

For what it's worth, I'm working through mostly rock and heavy metal with the occasional jazz album thrown in, along with prog.

Edit - on the highs and upper midrange, I would definitely say that the 150 is more "forward" in that regard. Obviously that's a preference, ymmv wildly on that front.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. toddrhodes

So I found myself needing to compare the Hana to something else tonight so naturally I picked up the 150MLX again. The LP in question is Skynyrd, "Pronounced." Specifically, I was getting some IGD on the last track of side 1, Simple Man. So, good news/bad news on this one:

Bad news - the IGD I'm hearing seems to be related to stylus shape. The elliptical on the Hana just isn't digging in far enough to get past what I can only assume are damaged grooves on this track. Coincidentally they happen to be near the label but IGD has not been an issue on this cart on other LPs, even well-used ones. I put the 150MLX on and sure enough, no distortion.

Good news - if anyone's familiar with the bass line that runs through Simple Man, it's a treat. And it's really well-recorded on my pressing (I have another that isn't anywhere close, however). Anyway, on this front, the Hana whalloped the 150MLX. By comparison, you couldn't hear the individual plucks of that bass guitar on the 150, it was more like a stream of bass that changed in tone at times, but that was about it if that makes any sense. On the Hana you can hear every note, every pluck of that bass guitar. It was the clearest comparison I've heard so far of how much more musical and coherent the Hana is over the 150. Now if only it tracked a tiny bit better on worn records.

Still worth the price of admission though, by a mile.

11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I'm running my EL at 53db gain at 100 ohms, and it sounds pretty darn good. I know I've seen several reviews of it that were done with a load of 100 ohms, even though Hana recommends > 400 ohms.

12. toddrhodes

Probably common sense but I'm using the HO at 48 dB gain and 47k ohms.

Also, I was weak last night and ordered an Art9 to compare to the Hana. My only issue with the elliptical Hana is IGD, and I'm getting it again now on a new-to-me (read: used) copy of Powerslave. I've tried aligning it six different ways at this point. Not all LPs have it, but enough do that it's a bit aggravating :(

Edit - and I just got up to flip the record and noticed that, despite cleaning the surface of the LP well before i played, there was a hunk of crap on the stylus. Retrying that section now...

Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. Chazzyman

Chazzyman Active Member

Hanna is up and running tried 100 ohms not my cup of tea now at 470 ohms with a bungie Jensen transfomer what a difference if this isn't the best cartridge under 500 dollars ..sounds more like a 800 dollar cartridge beat out my musicmaker 111 cart in almost all aspects and like it better than high output dyna 20x in the overall picture of sound ...that a lesson for me on loading a cartridge

unityofsaints and bajaed like this.
  14. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross New Member

15. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross New Member

Is anyone else as satisfied with the cartridge and headshell lining as I am? Doubt it!

16. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Hana E series with the Dynavector 10x5?

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

The SH series is probably more competitive with the Dynavectors. My dealer carries some of the most expensive carts on the market, but he seems to think these Hana carts are the best value out there.

18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have a 10X5 and called the Hana distributor for his opinion on switching to the EL or SL. He said the 10X5 is very good(I agree) and the Hana EL/EH would be more of a lateral move. He felt the move to the SL would be a significant upgrade. That will be my next upgrade.

If I was looking at a homc like the 10X5, I would go with the Hana EH as it's cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    willboy and Kristofferabild like this.
  19. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I bought the SL for my Rega RP6. Honeymoon review: I love it. The detail, frequency response, and stereo separation is great. It isn't bright, but the detail is really something. For example, I'm hearing nuance in hi-hat cymbals that I've only heard playing a drum kit myself.

Playback also holds together well during busier musical passages. Vocals seem more intelligible. Inner groove distortion also seems low.

20. ClarkFan

ClarkFan New Member

Recently bought a Hana SL for my Rega Planar 25, replacing the OEM Super Elys. Setup is kind of jury-rig - dug out a Signet Mk10T transformer I have owned for 30+ years and ran that into the MM phono stage of a McIntosh MA6300. I don't think the Mac stage is better than pretty good - I used to own a Mistral phono stage and it was definitely better.

And with all those limits, the final result is stunning. When playing records, I find myself saying "Damn, this is good" 2-3 times per side. Played on old, original WB press of a Bonnie Raitt record - Bonnie was right there. Played "Way Out West" (flipped to mono because the hard right-hard left stereo mix is distracting) - there was Sonny Rollins playing saxophone right between my speakers. The sound is MC detail, but the treble isn't tipped up. Electronic noise is low and the stylus does a decent job of missing surface noise. I haven't really played in the high end cartridge world, but this is by far the best cartridge I've had in my system and pretty close to as good as I've heard vinyl sound.

Madlove likes this.
  21. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Glad you like it so much on your P25. That's the same table I have and I plan to upgrade my Denon DL110 to the Hana SL in a few months.

22. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

I have the Hana SL set up on a Jelco wood headshell. That alone is like having art in the house. I'm awaiting a restock on the Icon Audio MC TX step up to go with my other Icons. I've never run a MC before, looking forward to it.

23. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Where's the cheapest price and place to buy the Hana SL?

24. ClarkFan

ClarkFan New Member

FYI, it took 3mm worth of spacers to get the arm level - had none in place with the previous Rega cartridge. Which required a different nut on the bottom of the arm post - Rega - Extended Sleeve Nut | Shop Music Direct . My local dealer sold me the shims but swapped me the new fixing nut for my old one. Tracking is set at 2 grams. Table is stock except for the semi-legendary Rega White Belt and a 3mm Funk Achromat platter mat (which I do like). Looking at a GrooveTracer subplatter for the next step.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  25. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Most likely ElusiveDisc when they have 20% off everything. They also are offering a trade in pricing with any cartridge (Working or not) to get $75 off. My guess if you call them to order, maybe you don't actually have to send in a cartridge.