Hana SL or Dynavector 17DX? Or the new Hana ML/MH?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dubious title, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry to bother with one of these kinds of annoying questions.

I have a Karat 17D3 that needs replacing. It's time has come. As you know they don't make it anymore and have replaced it with the 17DX. I can "exchange" the 17D3 for the DX, paying a fairly hefty, yet fair difference.

I told my helpful HiFI dealer I would not mention numbers, but what it comes down to is the 17DX with the exchange is a little more that double the cost of the Hana SL. The Hana SL is considered a "giant killer" because of it's cost to performance ratio, but the 17DX in this situation seems to be quite a deal for what I'm guessing is an even better cart. Can't seem to find a lot of discussion on the 17DX online.

I have really enjoyed my Karat 17D3, but like what I'm reading about the low noise floor of the SL, that combined with its imaging and extraction of detail. I have a VPI Scout with the JMW-10 uni-pivot arm. Phono preamp is a Black Cube SE 11.

The dealer also seems excited about the new Hana carts coming in October/November. Those will be closer to the price of the 17DX.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I think the ML and MH are mono cartridges?

3. dubious title

Hmmmmm... Looking at the blurb sheet for the ML and MH there's no mention of them being mono. The ML stands for "Micr Line". It "fits more precisely into the vinyl groove".

Output and impedance seem to be the main differences between the two. Still a plastic body.

4. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

5. dubious title

Sorry, I can't send a link. My friend texted me a picture of a very new two sheet with specs etc. Reading again there is no mention of them being mono. Think these are considered a step up from the SL line. Weird that they would have two different "ML" lines.

Are you a Hana user?

6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

No but am interested. Sounds like Mono and Stereo may have mistakenly called the cart ML in the article I linked.

7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

If anyone speaks French:

Jim in Houston likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: NEW HANA ML MONO CARTRIDGE

Looks like the ML is definitely a mono cart.

For what it's worth, I have the SL and I'm not sure what to make of it. It probably has only 30 hours so far but I have yet to warm up to this cart. On some records it seems to have a perfect balance, on others, it's very bright, and that's with tail-down VTA - barely clears the record. As for its other performance, it's a little better tracking than my Jico SAS/M97xe, but that's all. In every other regard I think I prefer the Shure. Maybe I had too high of expectations given its widespread praise. Lately I find myself being content with digital sources - not a good sign.

9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

It appears Mono & Stereo made a mistake. The mono cartridge is actually called the Mono SL (and SH). The new cartridges are called the ML and MH ( for Microline).

10. dubious title

I'm still not sure it's mono. Bajead linked to that page too, what I was sent in no way suggests they are mono carts. The picture in that link has "mono" embossed on the outside, the picture I have does not. The two pages do not mention mono anywhere.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Reading through the threads on the SL I knew you weren't really loving it. The very minimal clearance does seem troubling. I'm ok if the Hana is a little bright, I have an old Fisher tube amp with Harbeth speakers so bright is ok. I hear you about digital though, the other night I played the Beach Boys 20/20 on vinyl and was annoyed by excessive noise, inner grove distortion, sibilance etc. I played the 20/20 CD on my Rega and wondered what I'm doing with all these records.

Helom likes this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

That's what I'm trying to say. It appears the new carts you are referring to are NOT mono.

The mono carts have been out for a while. The article linked above refers to the mono carts by the wrong name, thus the confusion.

The new carts appear to be named the ML(microline low) and MH (microline high).

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Can you post a photo or link to this sheet?

I didn't scour every corner of the web, but Google turned up nothing on these new MicroLine carts. I imagine the MicroLine stylus is supposed to be an improvement over the Shibata.

13. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Please check here for data sheets: HANA | Youtek.com

It appears that the EL is elliptical, low output: EH is elliptical, high output; SL is Shibata low; SH is Shibata high and ML and MH are mono low and high.

Dear Santa; old Chili would appreciate world peace this Christmas. If this is not feasible, I'd love a Hana SL. Thanks, Your pal, Chili.

14. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

http://www.youtek.jp/download/HANA2P-MLMH_print.zip

PDF file in the zip, and unless channel separation as a spec for a mono cart makes sense, it appears there are 3 models, ML, MH and MH mono.

Helom and dubious title like this.
  15. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

16. dubious title

Thanks very much. That is the sheet that was sent to me.

Any additional thoughts on my original question anyone? Thanks!

17. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Why not just retip the Dynavector if you like it, seems like it's a much better cart than the Hana, isn't it? No experience with either, so with that understood, my choice would be the Benz Micro Wood SL. Or if I was on more of a budget, I'd go with the Audio Technica AT33PTG/II that is playing right now, and sounding very nice, as usual. And under $500 USD with microline stylus, gold-plated tapered boron cantilever, and aluminum/resin body.

stax o' wax and Jim in Houston like this.
  18. dubious title

Thanks. The cantilever is a little bent and maybe excited about trying something different after a long time with the Dynavector, that and the price with exchange is (considering what it retails for) is quite enticing. Will do some reading on the Benz.

thejammy likes this.
  19. Davey

If your dealer has both of your choices available, why not just listen to them and decide? Lots of other options out there, but if just limiting it to those two, shouldn't be hard to decide with a good audition.

20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Love the Benz Micro Wood SL. How’s that AT33PTG/II by comparison? Specs look very, very nice for that price!

21. Davey

It's always hard to make that kind of comparison, at least for me. I have the AT33PTG/II on my Micro Seiki DD-40 direct drive deck feeding a Conrad-Johnson EF-1 preamp, which is a really nice low feedback solid state design with no electrolytic capacitors anywhere, and the Benz Wood SL is on my Clearaudio Avantgarde belt drive feeding a Conrad-Johnson Premier 15, which is a really nice tube stage with no feedback and no electrolytics except on the heaters. The Benz has quite a bit more output too, 0.4mV @ 3.54 cm/sec versus 0.3mV @ 5 cm/sec, so you have to adjust the volume a lot to go back and forth. I'm a sucker for that Benz sound, especially with a great tube preamp, so no contest for me, but to be honest, it's a lot closer than I would've expected.

snorker likes this.
  22. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

23. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I had a new Hana SH installed 2-3 months ago, and it has been amazing to listen...my wife noticed and liked it right away. This was after 16-17 years of playing Grado Sonata's on the same turntable.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I haven't used the cartridge, but 30 hours is in my experience still within the break-in period, during which the cartridge can change sonically and the motor assembly/grommets and cantilever will often undergo some physical changes- the physical assembly will loosen up a bit as it is played more. You might want to give it more time and then revisit your settings. At least that's been my experience for the last couple decades with higher end low output MCs.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks, I'll give it more time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.