Hands Down, The Most Wonderfully Stupid Hit Record I've Ever Heard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoyed his company and his knowledge.

2. Michael

Did Tiny offend you in some way?

3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Wasn't there a group called Trio a few years ago? I believe Klaus Voorman was in it and they had a song by that title. I think I saw a copy of the CD about a month ago in a Cocoanuts bargin bin for $2.....if fact I almost bought it.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

Read the interview sometime; that--and his music--are offensive enough.

ED:cool:

5. chrischross

chrischross New Member

There was also The Trio - "Da Da Da (I Don't Love You You Don't Love Me Aha Aha Aha)" which was featured in a VW commercial a couple of years back.

Huge hit in the UK, going to number 2.

6. Michael

Read that interview...no need to keep on enlightening me...I'm enlightened...see, I read the interveiw and met the man...You just read the interveiw...In the words of Jay Black...I'm throwing away the key and (I'm) locking the door on this one...From the words of John Lennon...No Reply...Please? ;) And last but not least the Serpent Power...It's an "Endless Tunnel" of disagreement.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Earache My Eye-Cheech & Chong
    Basketball Jones-Cheech & Chong
    The Bertha Butt Boogie-The Jimmy Castor Bunch
    Telephone Man-Meri Wilson

More later...

8. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

The Beatles LOVED Tiny Tim circa 1968. They even put Tiny on one of their Christmas records singing "Nowhere Man"!

9. Michael

Ditto on Telephone Man!

10. Michael

They knew there real Tiny...I believe John was friends with Tiny also...He was a trip. Gotta love him!

11. Ed Bishop

If you insist upon being the President of the Tiny Tim Fan Club, start your own thread; I'm tired of hearing about the creep.

12. Ed Bishop

I think Chris got it right; probably The Trio. Don't remember it making the US charts.

13. Ian

Ian Active Member

Thats the one. I remember first hearing it on Dr. Demento many years ago. Was just in high school. I thought it was cool of VW to use that one for an ad campaign (and I usually hate hearing music I like used in advertising)

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Sylvia's Mother" by Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show. The melodrama, the over-the-top vocals -- "...and the op-er-a-tor said forty cents more for the next...three...minutes". (Yes, I know the song is *supposed* to sound stupid because it's a parody).

Jim W.

15. Michael

Consider youself hugged...I insist on nothing...If ever I was President of a Fan Club...It would have to be THE AIMEE MANN FAN CLUB...:love:

16. Michael

Yea, I felt the same way about that song! I do dig "Cover Of The Rolling Stone"...

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

My choice too Ascot. This song is my kryptonite. I can't imagine why it was popular in the 60's or why it still gets airplay on oldies stations today.

18. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

To our eternal shame! There was a story going round at the time that the song was written by a professor of music to illustrate the inanity of pop music.

Another favourite of mine was Gordon is a ***** by Jilted John - but I suspect it may have just been a British thing ....

19. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I think it better if we don't go into novelty records in the UK chart or people will get the wrong idea of these fair Isles.

I mean
    The FirmStar Trekkin' and
    Splodgenessabounds Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please

are at the milder end of the scale :eek:

All the best - Andrew

20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Ed, I love "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" -- not only is the song wonderfully stupid, complete with fake ending, but the title is even more so!

And indeed, I give my second to the song Ian was trying to remember -- "Da Da Da" by Trio. It actually got some airplay on Top 40-style stations after it was re-serviced to radio in the wake of the VW commercial. Around the same time, I found the original vinyl EP for cheap at a used record store. Yes, it qualifies. It IS wonderfully stupid.

Another wonderfully stupid song is "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. Funny stuff! "People say you look like MC Hammer on crack!" And as the single version fades out, it even proclaims, "Let's get stupid!"

There are a lot of wonderfully stupid songs out there, and they aren't going away any time soon. I have to give a heads-up to a recent hit by Avril Lavigne, "Sk8er Boi" (!). Fans of stupid songs will absolutely love it! First, the opening lines:

"He was a boy
    She was a girl
    Can I make it any more obvious?" :laugh:

It's about a snobby girl who thumbs her nose at a cute guy because he's a "Sk8er Boi" (sic). Well, a few years later, the guy has become -- get this -- a Rock Star! And this makes the girl drool (figuratively speaking). Now, wait a minute. He was uncool because he rode a skateboard, and now he's hot stuff because he's a ROCK STAR? :laugh:

Anyway, she manages to get to the show, and it turns out that our ex-Sk8er Boi has a new babe, and our Heroine gets dissed in true Alanis "I don't know what irony is, but I'll sing about it anyway" Morrisette fashion, as the two lovebirds go to the studio to sing a song he wrote about a girl he used to know... :laugh:

It sounds as if I'm making fun of the song. That's because I am! But I love this song because it's so silly! :laugh:

21. Grant

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"Surfin' Bird"- The Trashmen.

Absolutely love it to pieces, but could you ever in a million years predict that a record like that would be a hit, much less a classic?

23. Grant

The Three Little Pigs-Green Jello

24. Ed Bishop

Tim,

Great post! Good to know you love inanity as much as I do:) Funny thing is, I bought that CD(on the Stardust label out of Canada)not for "Kaiser Bill"--didn't know it was on there, delighted, obviously, that it was--but for more obvious instrumetal hits like the San Remo Golden Strings' "Hungry For Love," the Brass Ring's "Phoenix Love Theme" and Raymond LeFevre's "Soul Coaxing(Ame Caline), none the kind of music that turns up much on reissues(never did, even on vinyl).

It's heartening to know that even now, dumb songs are still around. I wasn't aware of the Avril Lavigne recording; sounds good, and when I see a copy of her album used I'll snag it.

I'll also add to the list the Legendary Stardust Cowboy's "Paralyzed" which must be heard to be believed(true of all wonderfully dumb singles), though sadly it did not make any national charts(once you hear it, you'll know why).

As for "The Name Game" my fondness for it is this: not only inventive, but taken from a children's rhyming game kids knew back in the early '60s. Ah well, one man's kryptonite is another man's Excalibur.

25. Ed Bishop

You can't, Rich; that was the joy of the music back then--the utter unpredictability of what would sell and what would not. And to think it rode up the charts with "Louie, Louie"!

So, yes, there was a time when dumb dementia not only sold, but thrived. Rock'n'Roll just wouldn't be the same without such liberating, mindless ditties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.