Hanna-Barbera Question: Session Musicians?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benjamin Edge, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone familiar with Hanna-Barbera know which session musicians had performed on any of the theme tunes for any of this cartoon studio's 1970s-early '80s output?

Partial list of theme tunes:
    * Hong Kong Phooey (1974)
    * Valley of the Dinosaurs (1974)
    * The Tom & Jerry / Grape Ape Show (1975)
    * The Scooby-Doo / Dynomutt Hour (1976)
    * Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics (1977) / Scooby's All-Stars (1978)
    * C.B. Bears (1977)
    * Skatebirds (1977)
    * The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
    * The Richie Rich / Scooby-Doo Show (1980-81)

Off the top of my head, I know the members of "Wrecking Crew" (including Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Carol Kaye and even Leon Russell) did some of the stuff of the '60s, but for those cartoon scores of the mid-late '70s and early '80s, I can think of the numerous members of Toto, including the Porcaro brothers (keyboardist Steve, bassist Mike and drummer Jeff; their father, Joe Porcaro, was also an accomplished session musician), guitarist/singer Steve "Luke" Lukather and keyboardist/singer David Paich (his father Marty Paich was a well-known orchestral arranger in the '60s, including on Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!), and also bassist Jaco Pastorius (1951-1987). Other jazz greats such as Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton and Nathan East come to mind.

~Ben

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Didn't "The Wrecking Crew" do this?

3. Benjamin Edge

In the 1960s, yes... on Jonny Quest to name but one. I would also guess the Wrecking Crew (including Hal Blaine on drums and Carol Kaye on bass) were also involved in the theme tune for The Harlem Globetrotters (the 1970-71 CBS series), with Jeff Barry as songwriter.

I also forgot to mention Tommy Morgan played the bass harmonica on the Hong Kong Phooey (1974) theme tune. He also played that instrument on numerous songs on The Beach Boys' 1966 album Pet Sounds.

For The Super Globetrotters (1979), I'd guess the members of the Funk Brothers and/or James Jamerson were among the participants.

~Ben

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and Bingo Bongo like this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Didn't Larry Marks sing the first, "soulful" Scooby Doo theme?

Who was on "Captain Groovy"?

5. Benjamin Edge

Yes, and then Austin Roberts (nee George Austin Robertson, Jr.) took over for the second year (1970). With his arrival, there were new background music cues that he sang lyrics to (on all episodes except "A Tiki Scare is No Fair").

~Ben

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I really love the rarely-heard "long" version of the Jonny Quest theme song...

That's some very fine jazz playing there, particularly from the horns and trombones.

IronWaffle and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. This fellow did numerous HB sessions.

Home

Home

My daughter took dance at his wife’s dance studio. Really great guy. A lot of photos and other bits of memorabilia adorned the walls, including a thank you letter from HB when he retired from session work. I never knew the full breadth of his studio credits until I read the linked VG article.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I would really like to know who sang (and played) on the Banana Splits songs. This particular track is supposed to feature Ritchie Adams and/or Mark Barkan, but there is a similarity to the vocalist on the Scooby-Doo theme song...I believe Joe Levine sang some of them ("I Enjoy Being A Boy?" "Two Ton Tessie,")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.