Hap & Leonard original series on the Sundance Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lightworker, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm two episodes into the new Sundance Channel original series Hap & Leonard and,
    so far, it's been pretty entertaining and true to the series of books written by series
    Executive Producer Joe R. Lansdale (familiar to some as the writer responsible for
    the unique Bruce Campbell cult film Bubba Ho-Tep). The 80s East Texas setting
    is well-done and the leads are interesting with Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar
    from HBO's The Wire) as Leonard Pine and James Purefoy (a Brit doing a passable
    East Texas accent) as Hap Collins. Christina Hendricks (Joan from AMC's Mad Men)
    also does a good turn as Hap's trouble-making ex. Fans of the Lansdale books or
    folks who enjoy gritty crime series (with humor) like Justified or Longmire might
    want to check this one out. It looks like there's potential there.

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 2nd season started last night, this show's a blast! Michael Kenneth Williams is having too much fun playing a role that fits him like a glove. As mentioned, anyone that enjoyed shows like Justified, Longmire, Breaking Bad, Sons Of Anarchy, should definitely give this one a shot. Christina Hendricks isn't around this season but they brought in Brian Dennehy (does this guy ever NOT bring it!!). Good stuff.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

I read a lot of Joe R years ago, including the Hap & Leonard books. The first episode(s) of this weren't grabbing me... you guys say it's worth giving a chance?

Lightworker likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

It could be better...but it's worth checking out if you are a Landsdale fan and/or appreciate creative, "feature-film level" dialog-writing done at the cable level.

starfieldroad likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

2nd season was good, the 1st was a lot better.

starfieldroad likes this.
  6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Now for me and my other half, the second season was a far more interesting story than the first season. The first covered more about the two main characters however.

We really enjoy Hap & Leonard. Look forward to the third season.

6 episodes means no fat too!

Oh and great leading females in both seasons. I wonder who the lovely lady will be in the third?:goodie:

Lightworker likes this.
  7. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

the books are good reading, if you haven't checked them out. I'll queue this up for watching.

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

3rd season wraps up next week and it's been the best so far! Corbin Bernsen, Louis Gossett, and even Andrew 'Dice' Clay are among this seasons guest stars. Everything about this show has only improved. Only problem is it goes by too fast!;)

fitzysbuna likes this.
  9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yea great show ! should be on everybody's must watch list.

10. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Just catching up with this - fun show!

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Bummer finale!

:cry:

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

What a coincidence! Just last night I watched the final 3 episodes of the 1st season, the one that featured Christina Hendricks. I've seen the entire series and the 1st season was the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.