Happy 70th birthday Carole King!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mechanical Man, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, none even close in terms of number of hits. All are very important, very successful, very talented, rich, and famous.

Cynthia Weil - 83 singles, 51 Top 40 hits.
    Ellie Greenwich - 61 singles, 27 Top 40 hits.
    Marilyn Bergman - 17 singles, 8 Top 40 hits.

By contrast, Burt Bacharach has written or co-written 157 charted singles, 73 of which were Top 40 hits. And Paul McCartney clobbers him, with 202 charted singles (including Beatles and covers), 114 of which were Top 40 hits. 33 #1 hits for Paul (including 2-sided singles). And this is just on Billboard in America -- multiply this success many, many times for other countries in the world.

Sadly, Carole has lost half her money several times in bad marriages. Quite a soap-opera life. I believe she's single now.

2. Happy Birthday Carole!

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

She did indeed do an answer song to that,entitled "Oh Neil",BTW.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Got a nice mix of her stuff in my iTunes. She is an easy listen.

5. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

I did a picture search for her and I found some of her that is clearly closer to her age now though I don't know if they are super current. If so she definitely doesn't look 70.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Woman...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328884263&sr=1-1

My aunt and uncle met her on a cruise a year or two ago and she was working on this book. They told me she mentioned she was a fan of Glee, so she must have enjoyed it when they did an episode featuring her songs shortly afterwards.

7. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

This thread reminds me of a question I've been wondering... does anyone know if her solo piano/voice demos for Tapestry ever surfaced? I've seen them referred to in various sources, and they'd be such a fascinating listen.

8. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Something that isn't said enough about Carole is that her melodies and arrangements are so complex. Listen to Some Kind of Wonderful and all the little side parts going on in the last half of the song, it's really unlike anyone else.

10. wayved

wayved Guest

Thank you!!

11. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I once told a Joni Mitchell-obsessed friend that I thought Carole King was a better songwriter. He thought I was nuts. I realize now that it's kind of apples and oranges (and I really dig Joni), but I still give the nod to King. She's had so many classic songs with Gerry Goffin and without.

12. Happy Birthday Carole!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.