Happy Birthday, Hitch!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

The clever folks at Google have a nice reminder that today, Aug. 13 is the birthday of Alfred Hitchcock. :thumbsup:

Coincidentally I checked out the DVD of Psycho from our library the other day. I first saw it when I was around 10 so I didn't think much of it.

Turns out it scared the living snot out of my poor kids. :eek: I honestly didn't think an "old" movie like this would freak them out but it did.
    My youngest daughter spent the first 10 minutes rolling her eyes about how booooring the movie was and it's in black and white and blah blah, but soon enough she was sucked in and couldn't get out. Needless to say they didn't sleep too well that night. :laugh: Fortunately they still take showers.
    Dan C

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I'm a little disappointed that TCM isn't showing any of his films to commemorate the occasion. Guess I'll have to dig out a DVD tonight...

Speaking of DVD, there's another TV series I'd like to see out on disc. A complete original run of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"!

3. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

104 years young!!! Happy Birthday Hitch!!!

Dan, I bet your kids won't look at "old boring black & white movies" the same way again!!!:D

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My personal favorite Hitchcock films:

Strangers on a Train
    The 39 Steps
    Shadow of a Doubt
    North by Northwest
    Notorious
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    The Lady Vanishes
    Spellbound
    Foreign Correspondent

The only one I have seen that I really thought was bad was "The Paradine Case"

Most underrated: Young and Innocent and Torn Curtain

5. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

I saw this thread last night and thought, "Oh boy, this is going to morph into a top 10 favorite Hitchcocks thread—what a neat idea." Neat, because I don't know how many other directors I could get 10 out of without a reach (maybe Ford or Bunuel), but it still takes a little consideration. I come back a day later and nobody else is playing, but I compiled my list. Unfortunately, it's too similar to Ken's to prove very provocative. FWIW:

Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Rear Window
    Notorious
    Psycho
    Marnie
    The Lady Vanishes
    Shadow of a Doubt
    The 39 Steps
    Rebecca

6. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Excellent choice! Very underrated, in my opinion.

My list (very much in line with others):

Rear Window
    Notorious
    North By Northwest
    The 39 Steps
    Shadow Of A Doubt
    Vertigo
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)
    The Lady Vanishes
    Marnie
    Strangers On A Train

7. Dan C

I've got some serious homework to do. I've only watched a handful of Hitchcock movies, and too many of them I saw years ago.
    Most recently, other than Psycho, I watched "North by Northwest" and "The Birds", and an old VHS of "The Trouble with Harry"...which BTW hasn't made it to any top 10 lists, so it's on mine! :)

Dan C

8. Dan C

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Did someone say lists? Coooooooooool:

1. P S Y C H O
    2. REAR WINDOW
    3. VERTIGO
    4. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    5. THE 39 STEPS
    6. NOTORIOUS
    7. SHADOW OF A DOUBT
    8. STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
    9. TO CATCH A THIEF
    10. LIFEBOAT

[​IMG]

ED:cool:

10. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Mmm, the crane shot with the twitchy eye...maybe not as elegant as the later one with the key in Notorious, but for sheer virtuosity, a real jaw-dropper!

11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Ken or anyone else,
    Any idea when Foreign Correspondant or Dial M will be out on DVD.

I've always thought about my top Hitchcocks and its changed through time. Intially I didn't like NBNW very much, but after repeated viewings I think its a brilliantly composed film from the stanpoint of camera work. Talk about a movie that absolutely needs widescreen.

Here are my tops in order:

Rear Window
    North by Northwest
    Notorious
    The 39 Steps
    Vertigo
    Foreign Correspondant
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)
    The Birds
    Strangers on a Train
    Marnie
    Rope
    Rebecca

The run of films he did in the 50s is amazing.

Honestly, I did not like Shadow of a Doubt. Other Hitchcock's I did not care for are The Trouble with Harry, The Paradine Case, and Topaz.

Although I like Torn Curtain in some ways, being a scientist, its just too stupid and the scene where the two scientists are at the blackboard is laughable.

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

One I didn't care for was "Family Plot"...seemed lilke it was an awkward attempt to fit into the 70's. Otherwise my list is similar to everyone else's. VERTIGO has really grown on me though...it seemed like it was rather slow paced, but now it's more like a slow pressure cooker. :) REAR WINDOW is worth watching for Grace Kelly IMHO...especially that "out of a dream" close-up when she first walks into Jeffries' apartment. :love: NORTH BY NORTHWEST...have never grown tired of that one.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I believe WB has the rights to all but one of the unreleased Hollywood era Hitchcock films. This includes:

Dial M for Murder
    Foreign Correspondent
    I Confess
    The Wrong Man
    Stage Fright
    Suspicion
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I don't think they have attached release dates to any of them, but they seem to be taking their catalog titles a bit more seriously, now, so hopefully we will see something soon. I have heard the most rumblings about "Dial M..." to date.

The only other Hollywood-era title that is AWOL is "Lifeboat", which is owned by Fox. No announcements on that yet, but it would make a nice Studio Classics release.
    I would give "Shadow..." another chance. Liking "The Trouble with Harry" tends to be a matter of one's personal sense of humor, so it always gets a mixed reaction. I can't imagine "The Paradine Case" and "Topaz" improving with additional viewings, though.

14. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Although nothing specific has yet been announced, in an April Home Theater Forum chat, Warner indicated that they have big plans for Hitchcock in 2004. To quote:

" [kevin_lodge] Hello -- any plans for other Hitchcock films such as Suspicion, Wrong Man, Stage Fright and Foreign Correspondant

[Warner] Yes, we plan a BIG Hitchcock collection for '04."

Check out the following link:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/042303htfchat.html

15. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Hitch was the man.

Coincidentally, I just received the following from Columbia House in the mail yesterday:

Psycho
    Read Window
    The Birds
    Vertigo

And I also own all of the Hitch films released by Criterion:

Rebecca
    Notorious
    Spellbound
    39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes

My favorite, I guess in no real order except the first two, off the top of my head:

Notorious
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    Rope
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (second one)
    Rebecca
    The Lady Vanishes
    Strangers on a Train

Notorious is, for me, a perfect movie: tight script, snappy dialogue, envelope-pushing themes, superstar actors, and, of course, Ingrid Bergman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.