Happy Birthday White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

35 years ago today, when I was all of 27 days old, The Beatles released their eponymous album with the picture of the polar bear eating vanilla ice cream in a blizzard on the cover.

Regards,

2. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Good one, Ken!

Remember, though...it was released on November 22 in England. 5 years to the day after the JFK assassination and the release of "With The Beatles".

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Good point. I didn't get worldly enough to keep up with overseas release dates until I was 2 months old. ;)

Regards,

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The White Album topped the Billboard Pop Album chart on December 28, 1968. My first birthday!!!:D ;) :cheers:

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Tonight I'll give my mono copy of the White album a spin to celebrate!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

35 years ago? Ouch. Seems like yesterday; or the day before yesterday.

I remember someone in school had a little battery powered Singer portable record player and was playing it at lunch. I thought some of the songs were great and I thought some of the songs sucked. Heh, my opinion hasn't changed much....I love it though.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Probably my favorite Beatles album. No wait, Abbey Road. No, Revolver. No... make that...

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I took me a while, but I learned to love every song on the White Album, yes even "Wild Honey Pie" doesn't get skipped when I'm in a White Album mood!

9. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

This album is brightly tattooed on my brain, so it's kind of above criticism by me at this point. I sure do wish I could have heard it upon release!

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Ken: great one, man. I was all of 13. I remember raving about it, as only a 13 year old could, to friends at a junior high (now called "middle school") basketball practice after I got it as a Christmas gift. They looked at me like I was nuts. Thank God for this forum.....

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Best Beatles album ever

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I remember the record department in EJ Korvettes had them piled about 2 feet high on the cashier counter, you didn't have to walk through the aisles to select one!

13. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

I feel the same way. Best album ever, IMO.

14. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Na na na na na na

The White Albums Birthday

Na na na na na na

Happy birthday to you

Cheers-
    Norm

15. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

It came out the same year I was born. I remember 1968 as ... TURBULENT ... lots of crying, screaming, peeing, lights going on and off, carrying on generally.

I also remember what the rafters in the roof looked like as my Mom sang along with Rocky Raccoon while walking me round. Anyway I *seem* to remember this. I suppose it's not likely to be true, at that age.

Most extraordinary album.

16. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I grew up listening to my parents' two or three Beatles albums but had never heard of the White Album until about the second or third year of high school.

We were on a bus ride to or from a phys ed class and someone popped in the White Album on the stereo, Bungalow Bill came on.. I thought 'WTF?!?'. What IS this? 'The Beatles'. Huh?!

I borrowed it that same day, thrilled at the idea of listening to a whole 'new' bunch of Beatles songs. I don't know how long it took for me to 'absorb' the songs .. most of what my parents had was early-period Beatles, this was something entirely different.

In time I started loving the album, and to this day I think of it as one of the best Beatles albums.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh: :laugh: Leave it to Norm!

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Baffles me that "Blackbird" seems to be one of the most familiar Kereoke Beatles song people love to murder. :)

19. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

I was 6 (soon to be 7 at the end of that December) and I'll always remember my dad putting "The White Album" the day it came out and that whole winter - cranking up "Back In the USSR" (especially the jet noises and skid of the landing!) via the Dynaco 70 he built thru his AR speakers!!!

Looking back on it now - The readily accessible characters/places that populated that LP, Sgt Pepper and MMT really fired up a 6 and 7 year old kid's already active imagination and kind of made my brother and my cartoon dreams come to life - Rocky Raccoon, Bungalow Bill, Blackbird, Piggies, Mother Natures Son, Sexy Sadie, Honey pie, Mr. Kite, Henry The Horse, Lucy in the Sky, Billy Shears, Lovely Rita, The Eggman, The Walrus, The Fool on The Hill, Blue Jay Way, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, etc.

The family across the street had 3 sons (all older than us - one was kind of hippie - (VW microbus), the oldest went to Nam, the youngest turned into a Dead Head - but all were cool)

We used to get together almost every Sunday for Pizza with their family and when there - my brother and I used to tell them what my father told us - that "The Beatles were the Greatest Group of all time" they said well yes maybe but have a quick listen to this and then throw on the latest Stones, Hendrix, Cream or Doors LP!!! Thereby blowing our naive 6 or 7 year olds minds!!!
    I'll always remember they'd blast The Stones, Cream, Hendrix & The Doors, (And when they had a lot of time - Iron Butterfly) so you loud you could hear it even with all our doors and windows closed from across the street!!! and for that I am forever greatful!!!

the middle one - Billy Starks used to come over and do a knock em dead version of "Rocky Racoon" for us - that if you'd close your eyes, you'd swear big Mac was playing in your living room in the middle of central CT!!!
    Mary Hopkin or not -"Those were the Days..."

20. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I was 13 and living in the UK when the album came out, the 1st time I heard Back In The USSR, I was speechless, then the lead in to Dear Prudence just floored me, still does to this day. :)

21. rstammer

rstammer Forum Resident

What a magical album for me! In 1968 when I was 17 I remember WBJZ out of Boston playing Glass Onion and other cuts before the official release. I listened enraptured on a small 5" speaker radio in Baltimore, Maryland to these disembodied voices going out over the airwaves. Of course we can talk about how great good HiFi is, but I hope we never forget that musical magic can sound great even through a mediocre system.

22. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Yeah what a great album. I've always thought of it as kind of organised chaos put to music...a real stonker of an LP and depending on my mood, my fave Beatles record.

It's my girlfriend's fave album of all time now, although she only heard it for the first time in its entirety last year.

I've always loved the minimalist sleeve design and the packaging too, with all the inserts. Glad I've got several vinyl copies. Shame EMI couldn't give us a mono CD five years ago on the 30th anniversary edition....oh well.

23. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Yeah, the bastards!:realmad:

24. Mark your six months older than me. I was 12 1/2 when the White Album came out. I remember a few months after its release a friend of mine at school, Steve, was lending out his copy to everyone. He asked us to sign it before we returned it to him. :laugh:

The White Album is my second favourite Beatles album next to Revolver U.K. and my third all-time favourite recording.

25. Alan

Alan New Member

I remember buying the White Album the day it came out. We played a gig somewhere, got home late like 4:00 am. Opened it up..put it on the TT..:righton:Beatles!
    A perfect end to a long day.

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.