Happy Birthday White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Actually $10K does NOT meet the reserve...:laugh:

However...."The two LP records are not included, but near-mint Apple-label pressings will be made available to the winner, if desired."

So.... go ahead and bid. ;)

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't know why the sellers say:

"Also shown below is a reprint of a letter to George Harrison of the Beatles from Stanley Gortikov, which appears on page 307 of the Beatles Anthology book, documenting the origin of this album, and also proving that the only way to get a lower number was to be a Beatle!!"

The letter is clearly signed by Alan Livingston NOT Stanley Gortikov.

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

5. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

This album brings back fond memories of car trips with my parents. :love:
    Though I wasn't born when this came out, my parents had taped it, and we'd listen to it (among others) on vacation.
    I think they might have done some editing on it, because while I certainly remember Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Bungalow Bill, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Blackbird, Rocky Racoon and Revolution 1, I have no memory of Revolution 9, I Will, and others.
    Gonna give it a check when I get back from work, take a stroll down memory lane.

Heh, I just got an ST-70, and I've been eyeing a pair of AR-5's to go with it. Soon I'll be doing the same! :D

6. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I was 16 when the album was released. I liked some of the songs right from the start (Back in the USSR, Birthday, Helter Skelter, etc.). It took some time before the other songs grew on me. It's one of their best albums!

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

NOT mono after all. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

This was the first album I bought from a record store proper, a place called Licorice Pizza in the early-70s.

Jim W.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Happy Birthday indeed!!!

If push came to shove this would have to be my all time favorite bEatLEs album.

I remember when it came out, I copied a friends copy onto my reel to reel tape recorder (UK model) Unfortunately due to tape length I had to omit the song "Long,Long,Long" ( My choice, in retrospect I know it was blasphemous!) to fit it on the two sides of the tape.

If I was to pick a season for this platter then I would choose winter!

alexpop

10. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Re: Re: Happy Birthday White Album

Wow. You chopped Long, Long, Long and not Revolution 9. That's what I cut when I put it on a 90 min cassette.

Sean

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I was only six months old when the White Album came out, but I was lucky that I discovered the Beatles more or less chronologically. When I was 9 in 1977 I knew exactly 3 Beatles songs: She Loves You, A Hard Day's Night, and Yellow Submarine. The first 2 Beatles LPs I owned were "Introducing The Beatles" and "Help" (US version). These were followed by all the US albums through "Rubber Soul." I finally heard the White Album when I was 13 (1981), when I discovered my father's old reel-to-reel player and he had a copy of it on tape. Blew my mind. His copy deleted Revolution 9 (my dad wasn't exactly avant garde) and added Hey Jude and Revolution, so for a while I thought they were the first two songs on the album...

The White Album changed me from a kid playing around with my parents' records to a life-long, die-hard music lover and Beatlemaniac. It was so long, so sprawling, so diverse, so weird. It exposed me to whole genres I'd never even heard of at that young age. It was so ... grown-up sounding. It's not my favorite Beatles album (that would be either Abbey Road or the US Rubber Soul), but the White Album will always be special and magical to me.

(Tragic sidebar: Also among my parents' reel-to-reel collection were several tapes made by my mom as a teenage Beatles fan -- the early Sullivan shows, all the NYC radio stuff from 1964 with Murray the K, etc. In a disastrous move that my mom still resents to this day, my dad (after they were married) taped over all of them. Now, if he had taped, say, the first airplay of the unreleased "Get Back" LP, it would be forgiveable. Sadly, it was nothing that cool.)

Sean

12. alexpop

Re: Re: Re: Happy Birthday White Album

I recorded from a radiogram with built in tt , unfortunately when it came to Long,Long,Long I then had to decide if I left of Goodnight or L.L.L. I had that reel to reel tape as my White album for 2 years until my friend felt he had outgrown The Beatles (he got a copy of The Velvet Undergrounds Loaded ) and gave me the "White" for nothing.

Nice guy!!!

alexpop

13. alexpop

Now if the Official White album had Hey Jude and the rocky Revolution on it I am sure THE BEATLES white album would be held in even more high esteem!

Perhaps if they stuck Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields on to Sgt Peppers?

Where do you stop!

Beatles

alexpop

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My two older brothers and I received the White Album at Christmas time in 1968 when I was nine. We all woke up with the flu on Christmas morning and didn't even feel like opening presents. When we felt better we played the White Album on our new Zenith fold-down stereo in our room, for days over and over. I'll always have memories of that music and that time.
    My favorite Beatle LP.

Joe L.

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Paperback Writer/Rain on "Revolver"? Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out on "Rubber Soul"?

The mind boggles, their singles were so good.

Sean

16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

In February of 1970 my parents offered to buy me any album that I wanted for my 8th birthday. Any album! My little mind was reeling. I knew I wanted something Beatles but I didn't know which one. My brother suggested The White Album as it was a double album & I could never afford to buy it on my own.

Imagine my surprise when it included a poster! And then four glossies! How's that for a cool birthday present?

-BZync

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.