Harbeth 30.2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LARGERTHAN, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

New Harbeth 30.2 launched at Munich High End 2017.

Part-Time Audiophile High End 2017: Harbeth 40th Anniversary continues with new M30.2 loudspeaker

Nice looking speaker to be sure - looks like it's been done to a similar spec as the latest anniversary iteration of the SHL5 plus. Curious product nevertheless, particularly in respect of the .2 designation - who'd have thought Harbeth would be marketing a 'new' product based on upgraded caps and binding posts etc? Perhaps there's a change in crossover too?

2. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Harbeth had 30th Anniversary Editions of their speakers ten years ago. I don't recall if it was every model, but they used higher grade internal components and wiring if my memory is correct. It sounds like they are doing the same thing now.

3. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

As a Harbeth owner for 2 decades I have been pretty excited about what "might be" during this anniversary year.
    Its still early. So far these models do look very nice, but of course probably sound the same as the non anniversary models.
    As yes the .2 is 21th century marketing

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Clay B, basie-fan and art like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That's the quagmire. If you design the "perfect" product, then how DO you improve it?

You might get to a certain point with improvements, that it is no longer really the same product.

And along with the "new and improved" moniker, comes the realization, that the old models, must not have been designed very well.

I think the decimal used marketing, is used to let their customers know, that they have made really small changes that resulted in small incremental improvements. Not to overly offend their previous customers.

russk, art and Manimal like this.
  5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I have heard from those familiar with them that the 40.2 is a little more "modern," meaning brighter, sounding than the 40.1. Perhaps the same adjustment has been made to the 30.2.

6. Vaughn_77

Vaughn_77 Active Member

I'm really confused about 30.2 model name. Is it just launched during 40th anniversary limited editions or will the changes continue afterwards?!?

7. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

I imagine it may co-exist with the 30.1 if demand warrants it. In essence, the 30.2 is akin to the new anniversary SHL5 plus, which co-exists with the standard plus. The nomenclature is confusing, for sure. Really, unless you're dead set on the new finish of the 30.2, I'd stick with the 30.1 and save some money. Or pick up a bargain with a used monitor 30.

8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

If you really want to know what the changes are you should look at the Harbeth forum and you will likely get the latest announcements and the exact information about model changes that you require

Forum - Harbeth: For 40 years - the world's most natural sounding loudspeakers

9. pmh200111

pmh200111 Well-Known Member

I have the SHL5 plus. It's not really brightness but openess. All round a better speaker no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.