Harbeth launching new speaker at Munich High End show in May

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Thanks for the head up! It couldn't be a 40.1 replacement, could it? o_O

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It'd be nice if it was an "entry-level" (say, <$1k) speaker; surely Alan has noticed the success of the $100 Pioneer bookshelf that Andrew Jones(? The TAD guy) designed ... could be good for business (and the expansion of quality hi-fi all around.)

kevinsinnott likes this.
  4. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

They know a thing or two about near field listening. Desktop speakers?

5. raferx

I honestly don't think Shaw has in any interest in dipping below the P3ESR price point or size.
    From what I gather online he manages with the orders he has, or people wait, (one year wait on certain finishes here in Canada according to a dealer, and usually four months for most orders if it's not in stock), and from what I've read about him, doesn't seem to have any interest in expanding.
    He seems quite happy with things as they are, and the Harbeth QC attests to that.

Kkfan likes this.
  6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

That's exactly what I've gathered from their User Group posts. Alan prefers quality over quantity and, although it's a business and money is obviously important, I doubt Alan wants to make money at the expense of the quality of the existing products (as some form of comprise may be required for expansion.)

7. raferx

Yup. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Kkfan likes this.
  8. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

My money is with yours on the SHL5 replacement.

From the comments on the forums about pulling a launch forward because of some problem with parts inventory my guess is that an older product in their line, maybe the SHL5, uses something that is unique to it within the Harbeth family of products. If you can't build next years run and can't get those parts because you already planned a new launch in a year (but you can get those parts) then I guess you launch the new thing early.

Kkfan likes this.
  9. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Compact 7es4???!!!!

whaleyboy likes this.
  10. raferx

Super tweeter me thinks.

whaleyboy likes this.
  11. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Which is Harbeth oldest model right now?

12. raferx

I think the SHL5 has gone the longest without a refresh.

13. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I hope not - I just bought a pair! Only plugged them in for the first time today!

I'm taking comfort from his statement that "there is no impact of any kind on existing models, sales of or production of or quality of those models. They are business as usual. Nothing has changed in that respect." That seems to rule out a replacement of any existing model, or even an update. Rather, it sounds as though the new product is an addition to the range.

Still - very interesting, as you say.

art likes this.
  14. raferx

The SHL5 is an amazing speaker. Full stop. A replacement wouldn't affect that in any way, would it?

art likes this.
  15. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Well, was not the M40 an amazing speaker until 40.1 came along?

16. raferx

It still is an amazing speaker!
    Honestly, Alan Shaw can phrase things as he pleases, but IMHO (and I'd be just as fine with being wrong), I don't think Harbeth are introducing a whole new speaker. The dealers I know say there's too much choice in the line already, why muddy the waters further and take away from the sales you have of existing models? One dealer told me he'd be better off carrying the P3ESR, the M30.1 and the 40.1... the C7 and SHL5 just make people waffle and demo endlessly and then they always end up buying the P3, the 30.1 or rarely, the 40.1.

17. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

The M40 is the best speaker Harbeth has ever produced.
    The M40.1 is second!

vinyl anachronist and mpayan like this.
  18. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Agreed, so my guess is that the new product isn't a conventional loudspeaker but something new for digital use like a Sonos - a small active speaker designed for use with a PC-only setup, or something along those lines. They talk about the digital age in the newsletter.

19. raferx

Doesn't jive with their line up at all.
    They are a hand-made operation turning out heirloom speakers of impeccable breed meant to be paired with high-end sources. Powered PC speakers? I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Agree, and it is highly doubtful. The C73 dates back to 2007, so that is prime for an update.

I actually think the SHL5 is superfluous at this point with the 30.1.

I am guessing a floor stander. There have been rumours of this for several years.

21. raferx

Interesting point about the SHL5 and the M30.1... but a floor stander also doesn't jive with anything they've done before.
    Everything they've done (except the C7?) has been a drop-in replacement for BBC monitors right?
    LS3/5A, LS3/6, LS5/9, etc.

22. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. They more or less have a hole in the price range (above SHL5/30.1 and below 40.1) that could be nicely filled by a floor stander.

That said, I have a vague recollection from reading the Harbeth forum that the designer, Mr. Shaw, prefers smaller speakers because it is easier to control the cabinet.

My money is still on an SHL5 replacement based solely on what I read from the designer but my hope is for a floor stander. I am in the market and I would be tempted...

23. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Stranger things have been seen from Harbeth...Alan Shaw "This is a prototype tower system. It has a brand new 6.5" Harbeth-designed midrange unit, and a pair of Harbeth-designed high power 37mm voice coil bass units. It has been shown at CES twice now, as we test market the concept."

[​IMG]

whaleyboy likes this.
  24. Art K

That was 2006.

25. Art K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.