Harbeth Super HL5 plus vs. Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has compared both of these speakers to each other. It seems as if the specs are fairly close (aside from the big price difference that the Harbeths have over the Stirlings) ... what are the main differences soundwise, build quality, performace, etc.

Thanks!

Stirling:
    [​IMG]

Harbeth:
    [​IMG]

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

If you look around you should be able to find reviews of both these speakers. I believe that Robert E Greene of TAS liked the Sterling a lot. What I've heard, and that's not listening, to the SHL-5+ is also very good. I'm sure that you could hear both speakers in either San Francisco or LA to make up your mind. The Harbeth uses the Radial 2 material for the woofer. I think the Sterling is a bargain. But listen if you can.

3. robotk

robotk Member

I own a pair of SHL5+. Haven't heard the Stirlings, unfortunately, but I have owned a few traditional Brit speakers including Spendor s3/5 and Compact 7s. I'd consider the Harbeths a modern interpretation of the traditional British sound. More neutral with a very refined, but articulate and detailed treble. Tighter bass than older style BBC monitors, but still has the classic midrange. The build quality is flawless. A very expensive speaker, but it's close to a "can't go wrong" purchase.

unityofsaints, SandAndGlass and art like this.
  4. beowulf

@Bubbamike and @robotk ... thanks guys for your feedback. Just going on looks alone I would give the Harbeth a nod to build quality ... they just look nicer to me. I especially like the cleaner baffles on the Harbeth in comparison to the Stirling's grill holes ... although I understand it's a PITA to remove Harbeth grills, it sure looks nicer in comparison.

It's also my understanding that Derek Hughes (who designed the Stirling BBC LS3/6) has also worked with Harbeth (although I don't know if he worked on the actual Super HL5 models). Interesting none the less ... I wonder how much better Harbeth could be over the Stirlings and is it worth the extra dough? I doubt I would ever be able to do a side by side a/b on these guys though it would be quite awesome.

5. robotk

robotk Member

Not sure where you plan on buying these speakers - I bought mine from Gene Rubin and he also sells Stirling, so he might a good one to ask.

I've never had problems pulling off Harbeth grilles - i just use my fingernails to grip the edge of the grille and work it off. Nothing fancy there.

Harbeth finishes are beautiful. I briefly had C7s in Rosewood prior to the HL5s and that finish is absolutely gorgeous. The cherry finish is what I have now and it's also very pretty.

The HL5+, I believe, derives from the original 2 cu. ft monitor, but the SHL5+ was extensively reworked with the super tweeter, Radial 2 woofer and a new crossover. It's Alan Shaw's baby - which is not a bad thing.

beowulf likes this.
  6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

beowulf and cmndrums like this.
  7. beowulf

Thanks for the link very interesting and after reading it I almost feel as if the Stirlings are truer to the original sound and the Harbeth still retains everything good about the older version of those speakers ~ yet brings it forward into a more modern presentation. I've never heard them, but that's the impression that I'm getting.

8. beowulf

@robotk thanks for the tip, I'll check with Gene and see what he has to say about the comparison.

9. Art K

Last time I talked with Gene, Harbeth was his favorite speaker. I bought my C7's from him.

10. beowulf

Yes, he's super fast in replying as well ... basically he said "The Harbeth are better sounding and better built, hands down. The Stirling are nice, but the Harbeth breathe life into the music like no other speakers."

I guess you could say he's a Harbeth fan! :D

Bubbamike likes this.
  11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I so want a pair of compact sevens.

hifinut, IanL and bhazen like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yep...me too.

hifinut and IanL like this.
  13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The Harbeth importer is making a small fortune selling Harbeth, a brand he's spent 15 years building up.

The Harbeth importer is also the Stirling importer. The LS3/6 is three thousand dollars less expensive (in this country) than the SHL5.

Do dealers want to double their inventory and sell less expensive speakers or do they want to sell the more expensive models that have a great reputation (built-in consumer demand and approval) already?

I would not sell the Stirlings short without hearing them personally.

bhazen and beowulf like this.
  14. robotk

robotk Member

This is a fair statement, though I will say that Gene has consistently steered me towards good sounding/synergistic gear, as opposed to the most expensive gear. I trust him. Generally, though, I agree - there is no replacement for listening yourself.

beowulf likes this.
  15. Art K

Same here. Gene has never suggested anything but what he would listen to. The Stirling speaker that is comparable to the C7 costs very close to the same money. Harbeth has a sterling (pardon the pun) reputation for a reason.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What is the SRP on the Harbeth in the US?

17. beowulf

The SHL5+ are $6695 for Cherry and Rosewood, premium veneers are a bit more @ $7295. Gene Rubin has the suggested prices on his website here, there is a little wiggle room I believe.

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the supers are literally the nicest speakers i have ever heard. so clean yet full of air and sparkle, the right amount of bass- and accurate.
    i am hoping that you could get more than a glimpse of that sound with the compact 7s.

19. beowulf

Gene mentioned that he prefers the 30.1 over the SHL5+, however the 30.1 don't have the slam of the SHL5+ so he gives a nod to the pluses as they are better for rock and orchestra music (at louder levels) than the 30.1. Art mentioned that he thought there wasn't a dud in the lineup and I'm gravitating to that thought as well.

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

How would a similarly priced Audio Note UK fair?

21. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Not a dud in the lineup? Agree 100%.

22. beowulf

+1 ~ that's a question that I posed to @raferx as he owns the 30.1 and has recently demo'd the AN UK's. There some similarities in both lines.

23. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Wow... prices have taken a steep increase with the 5+. I remember the SHL5 being $5k a few years ago? To be honest, I don't consider the + to be any observable improvement over the older model - just different. The 30.1 is definitely incrementally better. When I was seriously shopping for these a $500 discount was offered readily by most retailers without any haggling.

Cyclone Ranger and beowulf like this.
  24. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

I own and have owned Harbeths for a couple of decades.
    Love them ,awesome line-up, no duds, agree.
    DO NOT overlook Stirling LS 3/6. Very high value.

beowulf likes this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yes and no, you know what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.