Harman Kardon 730 Twin vs Yamaha R-1000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by UncleSpellbinder, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently had a Sansui AU -7700 I had to part with due to a job loss and a huge financial strain. Though I'm not on my feet yet, I'm in a position to get something to listen to my records again.

Anyone have any experience with either the Harman Kardon 730 Twin or the Yamaha R-1000? They are both similarly priced. I'd be using either Original Large Advents or Boston Acoustics A-100s. I listen to FLAC files through my computer going to the AUX and I listen to a lot of LPs with my Dual 1219. I'm guessing that my love of LPs and my vintage turntable and speakers would be a better match with the AK 730. But I do love Yamaha as well. But being a bit newer and with a digital tuner, I'm not sure. I'm leaning to the 730 as it stands now.

Any opinions/suggestions?

2. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Funny... I was going to try to help, and went to AudioKarma to look up something, and your thread came up.. Good advice there. I was going to guess that the R-1000 had the same issue as most of the previous line (CR-xx40). All but the 2040 has a 'pre-driver' IC chip that can't be replaced, so when it blows, you're done. Sounds like the HK is a better bet. (now.. the CR-2040 is a nice vintage receiver, has a great tuner, and takes 2 turntables I believe. I'm also fairly certain that it's the last Yamaha receiver with real wood veneer: striped ebony)

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Harman Kardon 730 Twin is not super-powerful. The best parts of "Twin Power" series of receivers are the amp sections. I've owned the 330, 430 and 730, currently own a 630. The phono sections are okay, not great. The FM sections are not so good. The 330 is not "Twin Powered" but the amp section is sweet, if lacking power. The sweet spot in the range is the 430, one of the best sounding amp sections to be found in a vintage receiver. The 730 is close, but a little coarser.

That said, the HK "Twin Power" receivers are worth it. I am not at all fond of the sound of the amp sections of the Yamaha receivers. I'd go for the HK over the Yamaha, particularly with the Large Advents. I've used/owned that combo. The phono section is about right for the Dual, though getting an outboard phono section from Cambridge Audio will be an upgrade.

By the way, the receiver that is in my main system, the Kenwood 9600, is better in all regards. The 730, as I recall, has 45 watts on tap [8 ohms, full audio spectrum] the Kenwood has 160. The FM section of the Kenwood is very good, the phono section is above average. Note that the design of the HK 730 is [nearly] dual mono and wide-band, without the bandwidth limitation of most vintage receivers.

Not that you were asking. But in my experience with vintage receivers, this vintage audiophile has heard the best coming from Marantz [good everything, "mellow" sound], Kenwood [the aforementioned 9600] and Harmon Kardon [the wonderful sounding amp sections of the "Twin Power" series.]

4. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Forum Resident Thread Starter

Appreciate the input, guys. Definitely going for the HK730.

Once I'm fully back on my feet financially, the HK will make a great start to a second system while I find something more "beefy" for the main system.

5. chodad

chodad Hodad

I have a Harman Kardon 730 I use with a Denon preamp. It sounds great and has bass in spades. Don't let the 45 wpc rating fool you, it sounds way more powerful.

6. hrcc

hrcc New Member

I just found one in a thriftshop in the middle of the Netherlands
    hooked it up with my tannoy's (613) and really like the sound so far (i,m having a severe cold at the moment so my ears are so so)
    what do you think of the sound ?
    and even more important
    did you find a new job ?
    greetings
    Cees

7. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I have a 730. I really like it but don't have any comparisons to other receivers except a tandberg. I think it would be great paired with advents or something similar.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sounds incredible with my Klipsch Cornwalls.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Hot weather in the Bay Area last few days, so away go the tubes and in comes the solid state. Namely, the 730, now being paired with a Yamaha C-4 preamp. This is perhaps the best I've heard the 730, and it's always sounded great. Using the amp & tuner, it is true that as good as it is as a one piece, pairing it with an excellent pre really ups the ante. Oh, and to the comment above about FM not being so good, I have to respectfully disagree. I've never had problems picking up stations around me with my roof antenna, but these same stations are coming in strongest with the 730. I find the tuner very sensitive, and great sounding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.