Harman Kardon A402 and Yamaha AS-500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ishmaelk, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    I use a Harman Kardon A402 amp, and I was thinking of replacing it with a Yamaha AS500.
    Can anyone answer the always irritating question of "would it be an upgrade sonically"?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I just purchased a A-S501 yesterday for my 2nd system.

I have not heard it yet, however I am curious to find how it sounds compared to my Mac integrated at 10X the price.

Reason I purchased the Yamaha was the great reviews and accolades the A-S500 has received + the addition of digital inputs.
    I will let you know what I think.

ishmaelk likes this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I should receive the Yamaha on Friday.

Before I integrate (no pun intended) it into system #2, I plan to plug it into system # 1 and compare with the Mac just for the fun of it.

4. ishmaelk

I'm looking forward to your review.

5. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have not heard the HK, but I did just setup a new AS-500 to power my Turntable and CD player. It was an upgrade for me without a doubt over the Sony HT AVR reciever I had been using. The sony did a good job with 2 ch. audio, but this Yamaha is most definitely a notch above. It is a tad bright though and that would be the ONLY knock on it that I might have. Of course I do have speakers that are bright and my living room also with the wood floors, etc. adding to the brightness. But its a great amp at a great price....You obviously already knew that from the many online reviews. I think you'll be happy with it

6. ishmaelk

Any opinion on the Yamaha?

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I have used it since Friday night and it is a very nice integrated for the bucks.

I am driving 2 pair of small speakers in my family room (16 x 18).
    Sources have been Blu Ray, TV and streaming and so far I am pleased with the sound.

Ran it for 12 hours straight on Sunday and was surprised how little heat it generated.

At basically 1/10th the price of my McIntosh integrated I am very impressed with this Yamaha.

ishmaelk likes this.
  8. ishmaelk

I bought one yesterday. I decided to go for the AS-501 instead of the AS-500: same features plus digital inputs.
    I'll receive it in a few days. I'm looking forward to it.

9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Good choice, the digital inputs was a must for me.

You will love it.

ishmaelk likes this.
  10. ishmaelk

I finally had the time to listen to it for long periods.
    And though I agree with you in regards to digital playback, the phono stage is quite disappointing in my opinion.
    OK, so it's an integrated that costs only 500 $, but I've listened to 40$ phono stages that sounded quite better (TC-750, for example).

11. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I got the A-S301 - should arrive today. Again, digital inputs was a must for me as well. Looking forwarding to hearing it... These Yamaha amps do get rave reviews. I did lots of research, and in my price range this looked to be the best bet.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That 402 is essentially the same amp section as the HK730, one of the best receivers ever made. I'd be mighty surprised if a mid line present day amp could beat it.

ishmaelk likes this.
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought the A-S501 about a month ago. It's a fine piece of equipment but I found it rather bright. However (without wishing to rehash old arguments about burning-in new equipment) after ab0ut 50 hours use, I found a distinct softening in the sound - and it's not imagination! :)

14. ishmaelk

After listening to it for the past few days, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed.
    I already said the phono stage is very ordinary, and when I say ordinary I mean 30€ phono stage ordinary.
    The sound is a bit bright, like fogalu said. I haven't noticed any softening in the sound. It's bright all the way.
    The pure direct mode, in my opinion, reveals how unimpressive the whole amp is. The loudness button doesn't seem to improve the midrange when volume is low. At all.
    So, all in all, I wouldn't recommend it. I think you're better off buying some midline 70s amp (every single one I've owned had a much better phono stage) and adding a DAC for digital inputs.

15. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

when I got my as-500, I did a comparison with the phono inputs on the amp vs the art dj pre2 external phono stage and the art was noticeably better. I'm really happy with my yamaha, but certainly would recommend using a better phono stage if using it for serious vinyl playback.

16. ishmaelk

I've listened to a Denon PMA-520, which is quite cheaper than the A-S501 and the phono stage was nice. At least, it was as good as a Pro-Ject Phono Box S (which I liked too).

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have a As-500 and it does soften after a while, however I find the phono stage to be pretty good. I recently got a 651p and didnt think it was much better at all. We'll see how the lounge MK III does :)

18. ishmaelk

I always read good things about the AS-500 phono stage. I assumed it had the same as the 501, but maybe I was wrong.

19. ishmaelk

I dusted a Denon PMA-880R amp, a 20 something year old amp which I had bought a while ago for not much (100 € isn't much in Europe for this kind of gear) and it beat the crap out of the Yamaha. The phono stage is a lot better. And even saying a lot is an understatement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.